Drumming in a top floor flat...

jbw

Hey,
I'm looking for some advice about sound dampening more than anything. I've not played the drums for nearly 8 years and my ex would never let me have a kit in our house... but having moved out and now living in a flat I'm seriously considering buying an electronic drumkit.
(I've got my eye on a Roland TD-4KX if anyone has any opinions on it?)

I've never played an electronic kit and would be keen to hear from anyone out there about the amount of noise they make. - I'd use headphones with them. A friend of mine said the most likely problem would be the pedals and the neighbours in the flat below me - he said it'd sound like I'm jumping up and down on the spot.

I'll speak to my neighbours before I buy but if anyone knows of any way to reduce the impact my playing could have on my neighbours I'd appreciate the advice.

Cheers,
Jack

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
A friend of mine said the most likely problem would be the pedals and the neighbours in the flat below me - he said it'd sound like I'm jumping up and down on the spot.

I'll speak to my neighbours before I buy but if anyone knows of any way to reduce the impact my playing could have on my neighbours I'd appreciate the advice.
By all accounts, your friend is right. The vibrations from the kick pedal aren't condusive to neighbourly harmony. :)

Check this out.....it's had some good wraps and making one won't blow your bank apart. Looks like a great way to reduce the constant hammering from above: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45889

There's tons of threads on this topic.....do a search and check out some of the options others have used to get around this problem.

jbw

By all accounts, your friend is right. The vibrations from the kick pedal aren't condusive to neighbourly harmony. :)

Check this out.....it's had some good wraps and making one won't blow your bank apart. Looks like a great way to reduce the constant hammering from above: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45889

There's tons of threads on this topic.....do a search and check out some of the options others have used to get around this problem.
Legendary! Cheers for the link - I didn't really know what to search for. So a few tennis balls and a couple of pieces of mdf. Sounds straightforward. Best speak to the neighbours before I buy my new toy! ;)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Good luck. On the plus side at least you're not tap dancing ...

I would feel weird having my stool on the floor while the kit's on a riser.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I would just put some books under the throne or something. They mention the potential problems with putting the throne on the platform in the linked thread there.

I'm in a top floor flat and have exactly this problem, so solving it would be marvellous. I might enlist some help and have a go making one of these.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I would just put some books under the throne or something. They mention the potential problems with putting the throne on the platform in the linked thread there.
Yes, that could work. Or have a wooden mini riser that was the same neight as the platform.

Pocket, the guy said that the extra weight of the drummer and throne would require a lot more tennis balls and the squashiness would reduce the sound absorption qualities of the platform. So expanding the platform isn't th way to go.

It's a really smart idea and well explained. A good find!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The problem is never the volume.

The problem is, as noted, the vibrations going into the floor. That will appear louder to anyone downstairs than the actual volume of the drums.

Jhanes

Hey,
I'm looking for some advice about sound dampening more than anything. I've not played the drums for nearly 8 years and my ex would never let me have a kit in our house... but having moved out and now living in a flat I'm seriously considering buying an electronic drumkit.
(I've got my eye on a Roland TD-4KX if anyone has any opinions on it?)

I've never played an electronic kit and would be keen to hear from anyone out there about the amount of noise they make. - I'd use headphones with them. A friend of mine said the most likely problem would be the pedals and the neighbours in the flat below me - he said it'd sound like I'm jumping up and down on the spot.

Cheers,
Jack
Jack,
I would just recommend when you get the kit get a softer pedal and it will help like a soft white cushion head and that should do your job for you. I dont see it being a huge problem, especially if you talk to your neighbors. it should be all good! :)
Jesse

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Pocket, the guy said that the extra weight of the drummer and throne would require a lot more tennis balls and the squashiness would reduce the sound absorption qualities of the platform. So expanding the platform isn't th way to go.
I'll let you know when I get an e-kit, Pol. I'm certainly gonna use that idea. To my thinking, the concept of an isolation platform either works or it doesn't......regardless of it's size. A few extra tennis balls shouldn't be a problem and if added to a larger platform, it'll certainly hold the weight......but, as I say, I'll let you know when I build my own. :)

denisri

Silver Member
Hi
I use the Roland TD-10. The pedals are design to prevent vibration. I use the practice pad and the TD-10 for daily practice in the apartment I live in. No problems.I have live kits in the studios for the bands I work with on a weekly basis. Denis