Drumming Gloves Or Golf Gloves?

MoreBeer

Silver Member
I really like these dipped sticks although am tearing up my hands, especially the side of my right index finger so I figure gloves are the ticket. I have a half dozen brand new left hand golf gloves so I'd just need to buy a few rights.

Anyhow, are actual drumming gloves better? Any suggestions would be great. What are the best ones? Softest and most flexible.

...or batting gloves perhaps? How about football receiver gloves, or Mechanix gloves? If you're in a cowboy band you could wear doe skin work gloves... the possibilities are endless. If you find gloves hinder your stick control, try soaking you hands in Epsom salts or take up surfing and expose your hands to lots of salt water. Or lift weights without gloves (that is what I do), or perhaps chop wood. Callous buildup is key.

...or batting gloves perhaps? How about football receiver gloves, or Mechanix gloves? If you're in a cowboy band you could wear doe skin work gloves... the possibilities are endless. If you find gloves hinder your stick control, try soaking you hands in Epsom salts or take up surfing and expose your hands to lots of salt water. Or lift weights without gloves (that is what I do), or perhaps chop wood. Callous buildup is key.

You got that right. The tips of my left hand fingers are like rocks from playing bass and guitar all these years.

I found a right handed golf glove in one of my bags I used a few years back when golfing in very cold weather. So I tried the golf gloves out today as I had plenty of left gloves. They seem to work as they're very soft with high-grade leather and they're most likely made better than drumming gloves. Although I think they'll wear out quickly being used for drumming.

I ordered a pair of these Zildjian gloves to try out since they have the most and best reviews. At $16 a pair that's pretty cheap especially if they hold up better.

When looking into gloves, I stumbled onto the fact that Carter Beauford wears Footjoy golf gloves as opposed to drumming gloves. Not really a fan of the Dave Matthews Band although Carter Beauford is damn good.

Last edited:
if you play enough you'll build up enough callus to not need gloves.

I tried dipped sticks and found the same thing. Just went back to regular wood sticks.

You could try using some stick grip that wouldn't tear your hands up as much.

I've been using Zildjian gloves for a while (when I use gloves) and have been quite happy with them. I did go to various local stores to get "hands on" (!) experience with sports gloves but none seem to be as comfortable or well suited for drumming and hand percussion as the Zildjians. The added benefit is that the open weave mesh lets moisture escape while playing to reduce sweating and heat issues.

I tried dipped sticks and found the same thing. Just went back to regular wood sticks.

I've had issues with my hands the past three years or so. They can't seem to take a beating. The slightest thing like steering the riding mower and doing outdoor work wrecks them and I need to wear gloves. Probably has something in common with these injections I give myself for arthritis. They weaken the immune system and it probably affects my skin somehow.

I was using plain wood sticks at first when getting back into drumming although they were sliding all over the place. So I sanded the finish off which helped. But once I tried the dipped sticks, I not only liked those but also seem to play better, or at least with more "precision" (LMAO!) using them.

I've been using Zildjian gloves for a while (when I use gloves) and have been quite happy with them. I did go to various local stores to get "hands on" (!) experience with sports gloves but none seem to be as comfortable or well suited for drumming and hand percussion as the Zildjians. The added benefit is that the open weave mesh lets moisture escape while playing to reduce sweating and heat issues.

Yes, after reading up on the gloves, most seem to like the Zildjians. Good to hear it from someone such as yourself on this forum.

Agreed. Like you. Morebeer, I find the dipped sticks too grippy and regular sticks too slick. I use the Zildjian stick wax. It gives you the opportunity to vary the amount of grippy-ness.

I use gloves sometimes. I've used the Ahead gloves and the Zildjian gloves. Right now I'm using golf gloves. I like the golf gloves best of all because the leather is so super thin, but they don't last as long. I'll be sticking with the golf gloves, though.

GeeDeeEmm

You got that right. The tips of my left hand fingers are like rocks from playing bass and guitar all these years. I found a right handed golf glove in one of my bags I used a few years back when golfing in very cold weather. So I tried the golf gloves out today as I had plenty of left gloves. They seem to work as they're very soft with high-grade leather and they're most likely made better than drumming gloves. Although I think they'll wear out quickly being used for drumming. I ordered a pair of these Zildjian gloves to try out since they have the most and best reviews. At $16 a pair that's pretty cheap especially if they hold up better. When looking into gloves, I stumbled onto the fact that Carter Beauford wears Footjoy golf gloves as opposed to drumming gloves. Not really a fan of the Dave Matthews Band although Carter Beauford is damn good.
You got that right. The tips of my left hand fingers are like rocks from playing bass and guitar all these years. I found a right handed golf glove in one of my bags I used a few years back when golfing in very cold weather. So I tried the golf gloves out today as I had plenty of left gloves. They seem to work as they're very soft with high-grade leather and they're most likely made better than drumming gloves. Although I think they'll wear out quickly being used for drumming. I ordered a pair of these Zildjian gloves to try out since they have the most and best reviews. At $16 a pair that's pretty cheap especially if they hold up better. When looking into gloves, I stumbled onto the fact that Carter Beauford wears Footjoy golf gloves as opposed to drumming gloves. Not really a fan of the Dave Matthews Band although Carter Beauford is damn good.

Love how Carter Beauford wears FJ gloves, usually an Under Armour sweatband rolled up the arm too!

Came across another cool site, Skins Golf, that have some pretty dope designer golf gloves. Worth checking out for those who like to mix sticks!

I use Carter Beauford's signature golf gloves. They're just footjoy weathersof gloves with the DMB firedancer and his signature sewn in. I can't play without them now. My hands are very dry and I lost sticks constantly. They also absorb a little shock from the rims. My hands hurt much less since I've started gloves years ago.

Back