Drum Gloves

I play country music and use them at times. I don't think my technique changes that much if any when I use them.

I wore gloves for years. Started in High School and keep up with it really until the last 10 years or so. I still use them when doing gigs with Street Drum Corps, but mainly because they help absorb some shock from the obscene things we are playing on. (Kegs, Oil Drums, Barrels). That's also why we use Ahead drumsticks.

When it comes to kit playing I prefer to feel the stick against my hand.

Last edited:
I keep a pair in the cymbal bag in case of emergencies.

Haven't had to use them in 17 years and pride myself on my hand technique but I don't tempt fate!

I wore gloves for years. Started in High School and keep up with it really until the last 10 years or so. I still use them when doing gigs with Street Drum Corps, but mainly because they help absorb some shock from the obscene things we are playing on. (Kegs, Oil Drums, Barrels). That's also why we use Ahead drumsticks.

When it comes to kit playing I prefer to feel the stick against my stick.
Uh-oh.

Like most of you, I always thought wearing gloves for drumming makes no sense. A mans hands are hardened from work, so whats the point. its a waste of $30.

My mom invited me to gig with her and her boss. She wanted me to go to act like her husband since she was always telling her boss how good looking her husband was and my dad is really old and dresses like a skank and NOT good looking. But he got a reel kind heart and wears it on his sleeve all the itme

Mom got me a whole rock outfit to wear and gloves? I was ok with the outfit she chose out for me, but the cardboard paper tags from the shirt and shorts dug into my skin all day.

I told her I wasn't wearing gloves and then she made me. When the gig was over I had sweat literally dripping from inside the glove and running down my arm. Plus the velcro dug all the skin off the back of my hand (the front of the hands are tough, not the back), because she bought them for the wrong hands and i had to wear both gloves inside out to make the "work".

It was worth it becuse at the end her boss looked at me and just smiled and told me how prooud he was and how tough I was. But it doens't matter because I don't even respect him.

Does anybody hear bother with drum gloves. The only sports I wore gloves for was baseball and wrestling, just for the grip, but there is literally no point for drummers other than some of the points I pointed out above.

Yes. In hot and humid conditions gloves (the correct gloves) have very much helped me hang on to my sticks.
I prefer not to wear gloves, but my multiple long shows schedule is sporadic. No gigs for months, then a whole bunch in a row.
If I have blisters gloves have absolutely saved the day.

I don't wear gloves while drumming, but I do use AHEAD Drum Gloves for transporting, setting up, and breaking down gear. They're very well constructed and protect my hands admirably when I'm engaged in labor.

My personal objection to drumming with gloves is that they dull my sense of feel somewhat. A gloved hand simply doesn't receive feedback from the stick in the same fashion. But some players value the shock-absorption properties of gloves, citing that gloved hands are exposed to fewer impact forces. That's not a concern in my case. I'm happy to be a gloveless drummer.

Last edited:
Nope, no gloves for me. I tried it once but didnt like them. Like @C.M. Jones, it messes with the feel of the stick.

It was worth it becuse at the end her boss looked at me and just smiled and told me how prooud he was and how tough I was. But it doens't matter because I don't even respect him.
Poop in his shoe. Its Bonham approved (or so I heard).

To answer your question, the skin on my hands gets painful cracks in it, so I will wear gloves from time to time.

...and about this part:

My mom invited me to gig with her and her boss. She wanted me to go to act like her husband since she was always telling her boss how good looking her husband was and my dad is really old and dresses like a skank and NOT good looking. But he got a reel kind heart and wears it on his sleeve all the itme
[...]

I have so many questions, but I'm not going to bother asking. I hope things are ok at home.

I don't wear gloves while drumming, but I do use AHEAD Drum Gloves for transporting, setting up, and breaking down gear. They're very well constructed and protect my hands admirably when I'm engaged in labor.

My personal objection to drumming with gloves is that they dull my sense of feel somewhat. A gloved hand simply doesn't receive feedback from the stick in the same fashion. But some players value the shock-absorption properties of gloves, citing that gloved hands are exposed to fewer impact forces. That's not a concern in my case. I'm happy to be a gloveless drummer.
I like that..."When I'm engaged in labor."
With your blessing, can I utilize that sometime?

I've used gloves before, and generally didn't like them. These days, I use Nexcare waterproof medical tape, made by 3M, and apply them to the underside of my fingers on my left (snare) hand, and strategically on my right hand. I play matched grip, but the friction patterns are different, so I apply tape accordingly.

The tape is thin and flexible, so there's a perfect connect between hand and stick. It's kinda rubbery, so it grips the stick nicely, you have to try hard to let a stick slip. And it stays on! Sometimes I forget it's on after a show and am still wearing it during the meet & greet. It's $3-4/roll, and I get 8-10 shows per. It's definitely worth up to 50¢ per show to not have blisters or callouses!

Here's a before & after pic. I started using a piece of tape around my ring finger where you see a little curling, but never had an issue with the tape lifting:

_nexcare.jpg

I know it looks a little clumsy, but the tape is way more comfortable than gloves.

And no, you can't just put the tape on the sticks to extend the roll's life. Gripping the tape and moving the stick adds friction and can cause blisters. Also, you lose your rim-clicks. :)

The callouses are permanent on my hands. There is no need for gloves or anything of that ilk. Matter of fact, I end up needing to file down my callouses so the stick doesn't just float on them.
My issues has always been sweaty hands and then Promark put out the activegrip and viola, no more stick droppage issues from sweaty hands.

Wild story! I'm not sure I follow it all. But I don't wear gloves when I drum.

I do have some questions:
Why did you turn the gloves inside out instead of just switching hands? Were they incorrectly labeled "left" and "right"?

Why don't you respect your mom's boss?

Why do you need to respect someone to take a compliment from them?

If you don't respect him and did not accept the compliment ("it doens't matter because I don't even respect him"), how did it make it all worth it?

Did you mean to send this on April 1st?

Back