Drumming @ Best Buy

Sounds good! I like the hi-hat stuff you're doing, very nice!

Pretty cool, but I think you should work on getting just a solid groove. In this video you're all over the place, and that's where I used to be. I went back to basics and now my playing sounds much cleaner. I know that this is obviously you just messing around, but I thought I'd give some advice for what it's worth.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Pretty cool, but I think you should work on getting just a solid groove. In this video you're all over the place, and that's where I used to be. I went back to basics and now my playing sounds much cleaner. I know that this is obviously you just messing around, but I thought I'd give some advice for what it's worth.

Do you get what I'm saying?

I totally get what you're saying, and I do practice my solid grooves at home.

But for the sake of uploading to Youtube to impress people, I like to do a *bit* more complex stuff.

I totally get what you're saying, and I do practice my solid grooves at home.

But for the sake of uploading to Youtube to impress people, I like to do a *bit* more complex stuff.

Right, but simple can be complex as well. Just lay down a simple 4/4 rock beat and add some fills that will get people tripped up but go back to what you were playing before. Hit the crash on the a in 1 e-and-a.

I saw you lay down a sick groove for like 2 measures, and then just stop, do some double stroke rolls on the snare, then do a totally different groove.

I know that it's hard to show your true potential through a video. Like, I play much better when it's just me. No cameras rolling. I turn the camera on and it's just blah...

Right, but simple can be complex as well. Just lay down a simple 4/4 rock beat and add some fills that will get people tripped up but go back to what you were playing before. Hit the crash on the a in 1 e-and-a.

I saw you lay down a sick groove for like 2 measures, and then just stop, do some double stroke rolls on the snare, then do a totally different groove.

I know that it's hard to show your true potential through a video. Like, I play much better when it's just me. No cameras rolling. I turn the camera on and it's just blah...

Yeah dude, I get what you're saying.

But to add to the pressure, I had an audience. Two people were watching me play through the window xD

Yeah dude, I get what you're saying.

But to add to the pressure, I had an audience. Two people were watching me play through the window xD

Believe me, playing something that sounds good and makes sense is much more impressive than just blowing licks.

Are you implying that it was bad? I think it was good, but it was all over the place.
Hes saying something very similar to what I was saying I believe. That in his attempt to sound more impressive to people by doing "a bit more complicated stuff" hes not impressing anyone because its just not musical, its cluttered, and just a bunch of licks crammed together. I dont think hes a bad player by any means, but Im not gonna say I liked that solo. Its all about the choices you make as a musician. He sounds fairly immature, but hes young and hes got a lot of time in front of him.

Hes saying something very similar to what I was saying I believe. That in his attempt to sound more impressive to people by doing "a bit more complicated stuff" hes not impressing anyone because its just not musical, its cluttered, and just a bunch of licks crammed together. I dont think hes a bad player by any means, but Im not gonna say I liked that solo. Its all about the choices you make as a musician. He sounds fairly immature, but hes young and hes got a lot of time in front of him.

Well, yeah, but I think he's only been playing for like a year. Seriously, anyways..

That's what I was saying before.

Nice job my man!
I will hafta get into best buy here in town and check out the drum room fo sho!

pretty good i like the hi-hat stuff but agree, sometimes it seems like you have to chill lol

also in your video "rock band mic recording"

did you actually use the mic from rockband?

pretty good i like the hi-hat stuff but agree, sometimes it seems like you have to chill lol

also in your video "rock band mic recording"

did you actually use the mic from rockband?

Thanks, I definitely will record another one on my kit, of me just playing a simple groove.

And yeah, that was recorded using a rock band mic. It sounds really good when played through nice speakers.

Yep.

I mean, if we want to delve further into the nitty gritty - I would say "Who are you trying to impress on youtube with that?"

That's what I'd be thinking about. And whether or not I succeeded in doing so.

There are a million videos on youtube of uninspired drumming. Not sure why everyone feels the need to put every other thing they play on the web. Or why we need updates about every movie or videogame's development - then there's no surprise. No "Where'd that come from?" For her birthday (in Sept) I'm secretly working on Vietnamese so when I finally pull it out on my girlfriend she'll flip (cuz she's Thai, and will be furious! no, kidding - she's Vietnamese) - Rather than throw out little bits here and there that I'm working on - I'm gonna hit her with it when it's ready to be unveiled. She's been teaching me the basics and has no idea where I'm at...Sorry for the aside, but it seemed to fit...

In the age of Twitter (guilty as charged: LPcolonel is me) everyone wants everyone to know what they're doing - which is why I participate, but *refuse* to say what I'm doing - unless it's something funny/interesting (I tweet about 3-4 times a week, but hopefully it's entertaining)... I have to follow people I know, and they just say "I'm having a nice cup of coffee" or "I hate work on Mondays" - bleh - what is the point of that? Why do I care? (I don't) The large[r] issue with all of this is that: Why should I care? What do I learn about you in this video?

I learn that you have some raw ability and some budding quick hands (and what looks to be some tension/future-carpul-tunnel), and that if you figure out everything in your head, in terms of Practice and Dedication and All of That, you could become a very capable and interesting drummer.

What do I learn from your [own] commentary here? That you think that video impresses people. Or rather - that you think that your current ability impresses people. Ok - so, again: Who are you trying to impress?

There's always Ability, and then there's Intent. I have no problem with people's Ability at various stages - I didn't start where I'm at now, and I don't expect to hear people at different developmental stages (we're all still developing) all be amazing drummers... But once we know someone's Intent - then it becomes a different story, and the gloves come off and we really start to evaluate. If you honestly think that video is impressive, I ask you to please re-evaluate where you are, what your goals are, and what you want to be/do with your drumming.

Ach! Leave the kid alone guys..I think it'd be better to encourage him rather to nit pic at his abilities or as you fellas seem to see lack thereof. Constructive criticism is one thing.

"I learn that you have some raw ability and some budding quick hands (and what looks to be some tension/future-carpul-tunnel), and that if you figure out everything in your head, in terms of Practice and Dedication and All of That, you could become a very capable and interesting drummer."

Sure there's a lot around that - but I got to it - and meant it. What am I supposed to say? It's a public forum and I find "good job" and "nice ride" to be much worse...

Put it this way. We are all constantly learning and seeking encouragement and a atta boy/girl every now and then is nice as well. It just seems that a forum like this should be a place to learn and grow instead of being made to feel inferior. Not to say that it was anyone's intent to defrock 805's video... Just my 2c

Back