Drumming Barefoot or in Socks?

Where do you put your shoes when you are at a gig? Do you just not bring them?

Last edited:
I can and have played in all kinds of shoes, occasionally barefoot, but prefer and have mostly played in socks. As some have said , I have better feel and with better feel comes better control, touch and and so ....... confidence in my playing . But this is what works for me and may not be a fit for everyone . Whatever works for the individual is best . I just take off whatever footwear I happen to be wearing and place next to or behind my throne.

Weird bump, but I'll give it a run. I started playing barefoot when i was a teen. It was summer vacation and i was pretty much a barefoot kind of guy. I would get up, grab a coffee and head to the practice room. After awhile it just felt natural. Forever after shoes have felt weird. Barefoot is way better for heel-toe doubles. As to where your shoes go, they go behind you with your watch and cell phone. Hell, when i was younger i used to walk around the bar with no shoes.

I play barefoot. I'd prefer to play in socks but my feet slide down the pedals. I want to get used to playing in shoes. Not being able to feel the pedals just feels odd.

Hospital socks with the rubber grippers on the bottom would work for the barefoot guys who would rather wear socks. They grip pretty good.

Socks or slippers. The big fuzzy bear looking ones with the claws. Yes I seriously play in them. But mostly socks.

At home: barefoot.
Rehearsal/gig: Chucks.

Making music should be approached like making love - with passion, determination and never, ever, in socks.

Nice necroposting, whoever dug this one up..

I used to wear shoes when I played, but then about a year ago I got a tattoo on my foot and couldn't wear shoes for a couple weeks, and I discovered that I felt like I had a lot more control without shoes. Also, before, I would want to always have the same pair of shoes because different shoes felt different, so that was kind of a pain having to have a certain pair of shoes if I wanted to play. So now I only play in socks, which I always have no matter what shoes I'm wearing, and it always feels the same and it feels great.

I know a punk drummer who won't play in shoes or socks, just plays completely barefoot. Also a gospel drummer who plays in shoes. It's a personal preference.

Hospital socks with the rubber grippers on the bottom would work for the barefoot guys who would rather wear socks. They grip pretty good.

The thing I like about socks is that they don't grip. I want my feet to be able to slide around freely.

For serious playing it's always barefoot. I hate wearing anything on my feet unless I have to because of weather.

Sitting in for a few songs at a jam or something I'd probably still have my shoes on, though. Don't really want the crap under other people's shoes anywhere else.

I'll dress up too if I have too, but I take the shoes off when behind the kit. My DW9000s are pretty flat, so they don't really wear on the socks at all.

Back