Drummerworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I like this definition of "Opinion"-a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Yeah the "not necessarily based on fact or knowledge " is the key caveat. So there is a distinction between someone stating an opinion to fact and knowledge based information. I guess the key is distinguishing the difference.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I like this definition of "Opinion"-a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge. Yeah the "not necessarily based on fact or knowledge " is the key caveat. So there is a distinction between someone stating an opinion to fact and knowledge based information. I guess the key is distinguishing the difference.
There in lies the problem. Some opinions are reiterated so much they get mistaken for fact. Then said "factual opinions" get mistaken for actual facts, thus confusing the issue even more. Lots of hearsay and circular arguments too. Those are fun. So and so said this, so it must be true; or so and so builder says this snare is the best, and they built it so it must be the best; or my favorite: I own it, I love it, I'm now the planetary expert on it. All of these are opinions, no matter how strongly we feel about it.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
There in lies the problem. Some opinions are reiterated so much they get mistaken for fact. Then said "factual opinions" get mistaken for actual facts, thus confusing the issue even more. Lots of hearsay and circular arguments too. Those are fun. So and so said this, so it must be true; or so and so builder says this snare is the best, and they built it so it must be the best; or my favorite: I own it, I love it, I'm now the planetary expert on it. All of these are opinions, no matter how strongly we feel about it.
And nowhere in drumming is there more BS then on the subject of technique. I’d have been far better off with no technical instruction at all, then the instruction I actually got.

MntnMan62

Well there is nothing wrong with visiting more than one. That way you can see just how grand this one is. Also, time spent in one means time not spent in this one, so the conversation and fun time are equal. Only 24 hours in a day. We will allow 8, the other, 16 DW. :)
I split my time between two forums simply because I'm pretty much a weekend warrior. I'm coming off a period of about 15 years of playing fairly infrequently so now with time on my hands, I am slowly getting back into it. I've been jamming with a group of guys I found by answering a craigslist ad. Just doing some classic rock stuff. Nothing too challenging but just having some fun. So the number of threads that apply to me are somewhat limited. Maybe as my skill level rises a bit I may find more topics of interest. At this point, two sites give me a broad spectrum of topics. I will say this is probably the more gentlemanly site of the two. Someone started a thread about investing and when I responded talking about stock funds, I was berated for missing the point of the thread. Basically the guy only wanted to talk about what he wanted to talk about and god forbid someone else offer a different perspective on investing. Mind you, the guy is buying a couple stocks here and there, holding them for a week or so and then selling. He says he's looking to find that one stock where he can make a killing. In the meantime, the rest of his portfolio is invested in CDs. And he's giving me grief? You can't make this stuff up. Anyway, I like this site and the other one is good too if you stick to the topic at hand. I just like to draw information from lots of different sources so two sites feeds that concept I suppose. Peace.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Well, you must not like pedals then.
Is there a lot of hate going in in the Pedal talk threads? I'll admit, I don't visit that one much, as I don't have much opinion to share. I've owned mostly DW pedals my whole life, and the last bunch of years been rock'n my Yamaha. Outside of that I don't have a lot of experience with other brands. Can't really chime in if I don't have the knowledge.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Is there a lot of hate going in in the Pedal talk threads? I'll admit, I don't visit that one much, as I don't have much opinion to share. I've owned mostly DW pedals my whole life, and the last bunch of years been rock'n my Yamaha. Outside of that I don't have a lot of experience with other brands. Can't really chime in if I don't have the knowledge.
There was. It was really stupid. Here's an example.

Me: my favorite color is green.
Troll: that's wrong. I've studied color, and can tell you 100% green is not it. It hilarious to think that green could even be a color. I'm a color scientist, you are dumb, bow down to my non-supported, no evidence having expertise. It's wrong because I say it's wrong, and because I say it's wrong it's true that it is wrong.

Fun stuff.

MntnMan62

There was. It was really stupid. Here's an example.

Me: my favorite color is green.
Troll: that's wrong. I've studied color, and can tell you 100% green is not it. It hilarious to think that green could even be a color. I'm a color scientist, you are dumb, bow down to my non-supported, no evidence having expertise. It's wrong because I say it's wrong, and because I say it's wrong it's true that it is wrong.

Fun stuff.
I don't know but my read of the Troll's little rant is that he may have been sarcastic in his tone and may not have meant it as serious. Is a color scientist even a thing? And his demand that you "bow down to my non-supported, no evidence having expertise" sounds pretty darn sarcastic to me. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy myself so, that's how I'm reading it. I may be wrong since I don't know this person.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I don't know but my read of the Troll's little rant is that he may have been sarcastic in his tone and may not have meant it as serious. Is a color scientist even a thing? And his demand that you "bow down to my non-supported, no evidence having expertise" sounds pretty darn sarcastic to me. I'm a pretty sarcastic guy myself so, that's how I'm reading it. I may be wrong since I don't know this person.
It was serious. I made up the color thing to express the ridiculousness of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.