Drummerworld forum mood/climate

Status
Not open for further replies.

You beat me to it lol . I have this one saved in my phone .One of my favorites ? and have posted that on some other forums in the past .

My take ....... In the two or so years I’ve been here , I gotta say it’s the most civil forum I’ve ever been on ( and I’m on 3 or 4) with the most pleasant , well controlled , very informative and helpful members on a forum I’ve been a part of . Sure there’s an occasional person that can rub you the wrong way but , like anything else in life, you pay no mind and enjoy the mostly good parts . I love all the different personalities and levels of experience here from all different walks of life . Truly a gem amongst the numerous forums out there??

Last edited:
OP is a cry baby. A long winded one.
Aaaaaaaand, there it is. Heh! Petty. Figured it was coming. Matter of time. :rolleyes::)

I have thick skin, and, combined with how I know people generally act in communicative avenues on the internet (forums, social media, etc), I wasn't bothered by it- rather amused, actually. There's a few in every crowd, and I got a chuckle from it... I'm not some snowflake that needs a safe space for my widdle feelings to not get hurt (ESPECIALLY not from childishness).

Commenting is not crying- insults and name-calling are much closer to crying, he-who-just-had-to-say-something-negative-in-a-thread-full-of-positivity. I bet you didn't read the full OP and the many supportive and agreeable replies between my OP and your reply; it's refreshing to know this kinda stuff is the minority on here. Or, if you did read it, no one made you, so since it bothered you enough to post your snarky reply, that's on you, bruh. Your browser has a back button; why didn't you use it and just move on? I've never insulted or been condescending to anyone on here. Every post or reply is a sincere question, an attempt to be helpful with answers/opinions, or sometimes just straight compliments on someone's playing, gear, songs, etc. Don't need anyone else harshing my mellow. ?☮ But one positive thing I can take from your reply is that it made me chuckle as much as those I was referring to in the OP.

Or he’s never participated in a forum where they eat their own.
True. I don't currently participate in any other forum sites, actually, and the few that I previously have, never had stuff like this. Just lucky, I guess, that they were full of mature, polite adults rather than... well, not. I'm still tickled that this one is stacked with the mature and polite ones, 99%. Thanks for the common-sense support. (y) So, back to the positivity, folks! Or, show us how bitter & angry you are, whatever, I don't care anymore. Matter of fact, go ahead & reveal yourselves if you're feelin' froggy- get it out in the open. It only reflects on you, anyway ("you" = "folks", not you, cbphoto). My faith in the overwhelming positivity of Drummerworld is already restored.

I will fully cop to sometimes being long-winded, any day.

Last edited:
Yes and I am finding using the ignore function the most efficient way to do this. Been here way too long to know who I have stuff in common with and who I don't. I don't use the forum for debates as I'm not remotely interested in making this a reason to be here.

I do find myself coming back to visit more often than I have over the last few years. Still some great people here - even many who I don't click with but I feel add a considerable amount of value to the place overall.

Oh man, It's probibly a good thing the post count isn't displayed anymore as I say I had NO IDEA there was an ignore feature. lol.

I can handle an argument, discussion,, heated debate, or disagreement. I don't expect to share the same views and opinions of others. But if someone does this with me, there better be value in it, and handle it with respect at least. What I don't like are passive aggressive comments, insults, or obvious demeaning remarks.

I'm not here to argue, nor do I waste my time IRL doing that. I do like to help others, and contribute.

I used to frequent PDF (please don't give me a 5 minute ban lol) but there were some pretty hostile conversations over there. If you want a forum to die, that is how you achieve it.

Life lesson - Just treat others with respect, and how you want to be treated. If you ignore the trolls, they usually go away. If they don't, that is why we have admins.

I gotta be honest....

I don’t know what’s actually ‘worse’....

The original thread that prompted this one, or the three pages of forum analysis and navel-gazing in this thread....lol

I am eagerly awaiting the narrator to declare-“Meanwhile back on the drumset...”

lol

Most of the people here are nice and helpful, but I definitely know what you mean about certain people that post on this forum. Once I posted asking for suggestions on how to practice to improve a certain technique, and this one guy (one of the guys in the thread you're posting about) basically replied with, "the reason you can't do it is because you're a beginner. Any real/decent drummer would be able to do this no problem."
Very unhelpful, and also just needlessly bad attitude, and incorrect calling me a "beginner" because I'm not. I'm sort of intermediate level, I just happen to struggle with certain aspects of drumming.

So yeah that was the day I kind of learned to just ignore certain people, because they're jerks and think that they're way better than everyone else.

It honestly doesn't matter how good your drumming is if no one can stand to have a conversation with you.

...basically replied with, "the reason you can't do it is because you're a beginner. Any real/decent drummer would be able to do this no problem."
Very unhelpful, and also just needlessly bad attitude, and incorrect calling me a "beginner" because I'm not. I'm sort of intermediate level, I just happen to struggle with certain aspects of drumming.

I remember that. I felt so bad for you.

Most of the people here are nice and helpful, but I definitely know what you mean about certain people that post on this forum. Once I posted asking for suggestions on how to practice to improve a certain technique, and this one guy (one of the guys in the thread you're posting about) basically replied with, "the reason you can't do it is because you're a beginner. Any real/decent drummer would be able to do this no problem."

So yeah that was the day I kind of learned to just ignore certain people, because they're jerks and think that they're way better than everyone else.

It honestly doesn't matter how good your drumming is if no one can stand to have a conversation with you.

I have not answered anyone, until this point because i stop like the owner of the site suggested (the other guy continue there and even opened a new thread about it), but decided to answer to you to show how unaccurate you also could be, I have to say surprised me IN YOU (not in the others). So here is my old answer to you which is nothing like you posted. LINK HERE (and copy below):
"I think most likely there is nothing wrong with you, just that you are a beginner, none of these songs are considered FAST or complex for a REGULAR drummer.

Then on one side is a matter of time that you´ll be able to play them (how long you have been playing drums?, do you study seriously?, can you read?, have teacher?, etc.?.), on the other you might never play them because, you need at least some technique (not a lot) to play that.

And yes, there are techniques that made some of the things you want to play easier...they are also esential so you don´t get hurt too.

Disregard what some say about sloppiness, don´t play like that, it hurts only thinking about it, hahah!"

Last edited:
Funny part is... Both parties in question have given snarky responses to my posts in other threads. I just chose to ignore those specific threads and move on. It wasn't until about now that I put two and two together and realize what I'm getting involved with (inadvertently) so I'm going to go ahead an "unwatch" this one as well.

Didn't realize that by simply defending this great forum I would be getting forced in-between two equally negative sides by default.

Cheers chaps, I'll see y'all in the threads that talk about drums.

"I think most likely there is nothing wrong with you, just that you are a beginner, none of these songs are considered FAST or complex for a REGULAR drummer.
You don't think this is condescending? Something I've been working on for months, or at this point, years, and haven't been able to play yet, and you just dismiss it like, oh, this is actually really easy if you knew what you were doing.

Everlong is a hard song. I know a lot of drummers, many of whom have been playing way longer than I have, who can't play Everlong at 158 bpm like it is on the recording.

You don't think this is condescending?
First thing, you make up the quoting (proved with the real quoting).

Second, no, I was trying to say, translated from Spanish, that you were not doing anything wrong (that was intended with those words), that you just needed more time to develop to reach that speed, which is stated on the other line. I even told you this in person, that´s why it was so strange to read that.

Regarding the level you are, you have another idea of levels...you just need to know more drummers to discover where you are in the whole pallet of players which is never a dissonor, it is just a growing path. Let´s say this, if Vinnie Colaiutta is advanced, I would be intermediate...

I¨m sorry you missunderstood what i wrote.

Best luck in your playing!

You don't think this is condescending? Something I've been working on for months, or at this point, years, and haven't been able to play yet, and you just dismiss it like, oh, this is actually really easy if you knew what you were doing.

Everlong is a hard song. I know a lot of drummers, many of whom have been playing way longer than I have, who can't play Everlong at 158 bpm like it is on the recording.

I was before answering to the original post (the first line), do you really want me to answer to all this? (in black)

Best regards!

First thing, you make up the quoting (proved with the real quoting).

Second, no, I was trying to say, translated from Spanish, that you were not doing anything wrong (that was intended with those words), that you just needed more time to develop to reach that speed, which is stated on the other line. I even told you this in person, that´s why it was so strange to read that.

Regarding the level you are, you have another idea of levels...you just need to know more drummers to discover where you are in the whole pallet of players which is never a dissonor, it is just a growing path. Let´s say this, if Vinnie Colaiutta is advanced, I would be intermediate...

I¨m sorry you missunderstood what i wrote.

Best luck in your playing!

Maybe you don't mean for the things you say to be condescending and offensive, I'll buy it I guess, but that doesn't change how people hear it.

And yeah in person you also said some things to me that were needlessly offensive and insulting, but the OP was about the forum so I wasn't going to bring that up.

You can say whatever you want on here, and maybe you don't care how it makes people feel. But obviously it offended me a lot, so much that I still remember it and immediately thought of it when I read this thread. Like, when I read the OP, I IMMEDIATELY knew who he was talking about, without even having to go over to the other thread.

I've been a regular on a pool/billiards forum for a long time now. This place is much more civil. That is greatly appreciated by me.

That having been said, I occasionally catch myself falling into the trap of engaging with those who tend to bring things down. Certainly moreso on that pool forum, tho to be fair, that has become a sport of sorts, messing with the trolls. I usually try and take the high road, most times to. I'd certainly hate to find that happening regularly here.

Maybe you don't mean for the things you say to be condescending and offensive, I'll buy it I guess, but that doesn't change how people hear it.

And yeah in person you also said some things to me that were needlessly offensive and insulting, but the OP was about the forum so I wasn't going to bring that up.

You can say whatever you want on here, and maybe you don't care how it makes people feel. But obviously it offended me a lot, so much that I still remember it and immediately thought of it when I read this thread. Like, when I read the OP, I IMMEDIATELY knew who he was talking about, without even having to go over to the other thread.
Well there is the original message I posted, I don´t read anything offensive.

Who knows what you mean with what I say privately you can also might have mistaken that or make that up (like the fake quoting), sorry, now i feel obligated to repeat that.

i don´t really understand how can you reached to those conclusions...I still think you have mistaken all.

Best regards!

Hey, did you know there's a feature on this forum where you can send other members a direct message? If you aren't sure of someone's tone or feel attacked by their response, you can always reach out to them directly and ask them for clarification. Who knows, you (proverbial 'you') may end up being friends, understand each other better, and may edit to clarify some previous posts.

Even in a forum discussion, a side conversation one-on-one isn't unheard of.

I don’t think anyone in this thread is ill-intentioned. Alex often comes across as abrupt or rude, but he is a very capable drummer with many years of experience, who also does not speak English as his first language. I myself come across as abrupt and rude sometimes too, but that’s just because I’ve been fed a lot of bad information about drum technique, etc. over the years, and I don’t want bad info being spread around and passed along as truth. I’m trying to keep what happened to me from happening to other people. I’m not ill-intentioned. Just trying to protect the inexperienced among us, and advance the quality of the knowledge and discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back