Drummerworld forum mood/climate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I don’t think anyone in this thread is ill-intentioned. Alex often comes across as abrupt or rude, but he is a very capable drummer with many years of experience, who also does not speak English as his first language. I myself come across as abrupt and rude sometimes too, but that’s just because I’ve been fed a lot of bad information about drum technique, etc. over the years, and I don’t want bad info being spread around and passed along as truth. I’m trying to keep what happened to me from happening to other people. I’m not ill-intentioned. Just trying to protect the inexperienced among us, and advance the quality of the knowledge and discussion.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
I've been a regular on a pool/billiards forum for a long time now. This place is much more civil. That is greatly appreciated by me.

That having been said, I occasionally catch myself falling into the trap of engaging with those who tend to bring things down. Certainly moreso on that pool forum, tho to be fair, that has become a sport of sorts, messing with the trolls. I usually try and take the high road, most times to. I'd certainly hate to find that happening regularly here.
BruceW,

I¨m not troll, and I answer Channing when he posted also that because others (not all, some) were telling her to change "this and that", and my answer also was related with that, that probably (she provided no video) she didn´t have to change anything (therefore the : "there is nothing wrong with you") but just expend more time doing what she did until she develops a faster speed. A bit like if you start lifting but you cant lift like a experienced guy, but not because you use a false technique but because haven´t developed the strenght (in her case, the speed).

Take care Bruce

Last edited:

BruceW

BruceW,

I¨m not troll, and I answer Channing when he posted also that because others (not all, some) were telling her to change "this and that", and my answer also was related with that, that probably (she provided no video) she didn´t have to change anything but just expend more time doing what she did until she develop a faster speed. A bit like if you start lifting but you cant lift like a experienced guy, but not because you use a false technique but because haven´t developed the strenght (in her case, the speed).

Take care Bruce
Alex, please understand that when I was indicating trollish behavior, I was referring to the other (pool/billiards) forum that I belong to. I was not aiming that comment at anyone here, and was lamenting that I hope to not find it here.

Have a great day.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang no need to pile on and hammer the man. I don't think Alex would be as successful a player or teacher if he was mean spirited or insulting his students all the time. I think we all agree Alex is a great resource and probably a great teacher in his own setting. It's pretty obvious to me there is a cultural/language barrier. Alex seems surprised at his condemnation supporting my posit. Because it's often not what you say but how you say it-it kind of puts him at a disadvantage. I don't really believe his intention is to do so-like he adds "Ha, ha' to be jovial and fun spirited not insulting (as he has lamented). It's easy to see it otherwise and be offended-I see that clearly too. I've had to deal with these issues in grad school and as a faculty with new faculty of Chinese origin, etc. who spoke only a little broken English. Very difficult to communicate to faculty or students and there was lots of cultural differences that produce problems in our culture as being offensive. It's pretty common place for problems to arise to be fair. None of them intended to be so-they really wanted to fit in our culture and do a great job But I get it-my calculus prof in college was asian and every time anyone asked him a question he responded "Mickey Mouse" before giving the answer. That pissed off everyone-but he was trying to be humorous and actually indicate it's easy just let me show you. I've caught myself doing same thing-so instead of reassuring everyone is freaking out. I don't think we want to discourage Alex from participating here-that would be counterproductive. Perhaps rather than holding in our displeasure at time of posting people can address Alex directly up front and clear the air-that way you learn something about drumming and he learns something in communicating here in ways deemed less offensive. We've all had our moments and I think the pros on here can lose their patience because we do get a fair share of trolls wasting everyones time. I think the best way to address the issue is during the conversation. I truly believe if you just be honest and talk to the man-"Hey this is offensive or no I'm not a pro but not quite a beginner or whatever" he can qualify oh no my apologizes I'm trying to say-whatever it is he's trying to communicate. The written word has no inflection or mannerisms so we can't judge what is the meaning sometimes.

Last edited:

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
To me this is a complete non sincere thread anyway..

This thread is not started because a ‘general’ forum problem..

This thread is started because 1 member had a problem with a few other members and has not learned to sometimes let things go in life..

In my opinion, all the moralists who are now allready 2 days busy with bashing 1 person are not showing any better behaviour than the person they bash..

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Perhaps the Forum rules that currently exist could be followed and the name calling could be left for other outlets.

1) Absolute Respect and Zero Tolerance

"There is no trolling, flaming, or insulting of others allowed. Do not make comments that are sexist, racist, pejorative, obscene, inflammatory, spiteful, abusive, threatening, or in any way insulting or disrespectful to any individual or group of people."

Last edited:

Channing

I see what you guys are saying, that it's likely a cultural difference/ language barrier issue. Communication via text is always prone to misunderstanding because you can't judge the person's tone or the way they're saying something, all you have are the words and then you just read it however you read it.
Even in person it can be hard when you have people coming from different cultures with different expectations of what's appropriate to say to someone or not. But after reading Alex's responses here I'm convinced that he didn't mean to be insulting/dismissive, he just comes off that way because he doesn't word things the way that a native English speaker would, or avoid saying certain things because it's generally regarded as impolite. I'm actually glad that I read this thread, and posted in it, because now I feel better about the whole situation. I'm not personally offended by it anymore. I actually feel kind of bad for bringing it up but it was bothering me for a while, and then reading this thread just brought it all up again.

Benthedrummer

The OP had the guts to stand up for himself on a public platform knowing full well that he made himself vunerable.

Then there was an actual discussion between various members.

There were moderators watching this conversation and allowed this discussion to develop.......with input that supported the members.

This had the potential to go completely bad, but it didn't....

There were various members who entered this conversation who most likely knew it was related to them........and they handled themselves brilliantly.

So........if you ask me about this forum's climate? after experiencing this thread?......I'd say the climate is pretty darn awesome!

n1ck

To me this is a complete non sincere thread anyway..

This thread is not started because a ‘general’ forum problem..

This thread is started because 1 member had a problem with a few other members and has not learned to sometimes let things go in life..

In my opinion, all the moralists who are now allready 2 days busy with bashing 1 person are not showing any better behaviour than the person they bash..
Not sure how you're coming to this conclusion. I can think of at least four people who have complained.

And it's funny you're framing the complainers as "moralists." I'd be curious to see how you'd respond to to blatant condescension. Something tells me you'd be perfectly comfortable expressing your discontent.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Look, if anyone is going to be banned for being an arsehole tradition clearly states that it's my job, ok?
True - you've been sidelined as the automatic default member banishment monthly mod gratification quota - there's time ;)

I gotta be honest....

I don’t know what’s actually ‘worse’....

The original thread that prompted this one, or the three pages of forum analysis and navel-gazing in this thread....lol

I am eagerly awaiting the narrator to declare-“Meanwhile back on the drumset...”

lol
A mod's job is not to stifle discussion or sensor the forum in any way, but it is our job to recognise when a thread has moved beyond offering any positive contribution, or has primarily become a vehicle for resolving personal matters, and in my estimation, that point is now.

Thank you to all who've carried restraint, but let's get back to discussing critical issues facing the drumming community such as milk, seatbelts, and certain brand badge sizes (you'll need to have been a member here pretty much forever to get those references) :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.