Drummers who use a 24" ride but smaller drum sizes.

Bonzodownunder

Is there any famous/well known drummers who use a 24" ride but DON'T use a 26" kick or 'Bonham" sizes?.As i used to subscribe to the attitude/opinion/view point that if you have&use 'Bonham" sized cymbals you HAVE TO &MUST also use "Bonham" sized drums!.Attempting&trying to find inspiration&motivation to cure my OCD in swapping/trading drums once&yet again for the umpteeth time! :(.

Chris Adler comes to mind:
chrisadlerdrumsetdrums.jpg

I had a 24" that I used with a 22" bass drum - but having a cymbal that large was impractical. I had to get a whole new case just to carry it around since my regular cymbal bag is a 22". But I always say, if the sound requires you to have a 24", but the drums are fine, then go right ahead.

I remember reading years ago Billy Cobham had a 26" swish and ride, and Peter Erskine used a 26" ride with Stan Kenton - I'd love to play a ride that big. I'd have to have 20 and 22 thin crashes though, and 18 hi-hats ;)

Thomas Pridgen uses a 24" ride and 24" kick.

But use whatever you like! If it sounds right, use it :)

I play a 22" ride, 20" ride, and 18" crash on a bop kit with only an 18" bass drum. I'm not famous but I like to pretend :)

I use a 24" ride with a 22" or 16" kick. Poor ride choice at the time, basically what the local drum shop had in stock, I didn't realize it was the Grohl Foo Fighters sound. I clamp the ride a lot, these days which I have come to like, for the nuance, however a complex smaller K or Chinese ride would have been as good or better for what I need.

I think you would be pretty safe to assume that most jazz combo players utilize rides that are larger than their drums. Different genre I know from what you are referring to but it still stands. Play what sounds good to you. Don't let aesthetics get in the way of your sound.

I'm sure I'm not famous, but I played a 24" ride for several years up until just recently when I bought a 20" ride which is now the one I use most often. I have a 22" kick and no toms bigger than 16".

I'm barely famous on here, but I play a 24" ride. With either two 20" crashes or a 20" and an 18".

For an alternative viewpoint:
I'm NOT famous, and I DON'T use a 24" ride.
But I do use a 22" ride......... :)

After 53 years of playing (I did in fact fill in for Kool and the Gang's drummer twice!) I love my 24" ping, I find that I don't have to work as hard to get an "appropriate" sound... I happen to use a 10" tom,14" floor & 20" kick. Somewhat of an anomaly, I'm sure - but it works for me. And that's all that counts!

Back