Drummers who play in bedrooms, garages, attics, and small stages!

Yeah same here Jay. I stopped complaining about "lugging gear" the first time I helped move a bass amp. I would much rather take 2-3 light trips than one that would break my back like that.

I sort of feel like if you gig out enough, you've figured out what you need and don't need.

As for the original subject, I am a fan of "mini-kits" of all kinds I've owned all of the hipgigs, catalinas, jungle kits, and cocktail kits. If you have something like this, then cool. Show us. I promise I won't steal your idea. Oh, lets not forget about the gigpig either http://www.gigpig.org/

Yeah same here Jay. I stopped complaining about "lugging gear" the first time I helped move a bass amp. I would much rather take 2-3 light trips than one that would break my back like that.

I sort of feel like if you gig out enough, you've figured out what you need and don't need.

As for the original subject, I am a fan of "mini-kits" of all kinds I've owned all of the hipgigs, catalinas, jungle kits, and cocktail kits. If you have something like this, then cool. Show us. I promise I won't steal your idea. Oh, lets not forget about the gigpig either http://www.gigpig.org/
We didn't forget . . . just a few posts back.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=498332&postcount=17

Yeah, that's another thing. If you move all your drums by yourself then nobody can expect you to help them move their gear!

Im going to keep in the vein of a standard 4 or 5 piece rock kit. A cocktail kit is getting away from the point a little. But thanks for the suggestion. All this feedback is really helping!

Heres a further question, do you get annoyed with the ammount of effort it takes to transport a kit around? Say you are playing a gig in a bar, you need to have a car or van, you need at least two people to unload etc. What do you not like about getting your kit around??

Again, man, check out the nesting penguin kits at www.whitneydrums.com. They all fold into one drum and are light-weight. The stand folds into another container. So, you have one bag for hardware, one bag with all the drums, and you grab your cymbal bag and you're good to go. One person, one trip, they are regular drums, you can get them at full dimensions, etc.

Yeah, loading & unloading is a drag, but TWO PEOPLE to unload?? Yeah, if you're LAZY or a wimp!! It's nice to have help, but I certainly don't NEED it, even if I was toting a huge kit.

And the idea of a portable kit has well been done, to no great advantage other than portability.

gigpigdrumor.jpg

NONE of them sound like a REAL drumkit.

Well i play a pretty big set up, and when i say Two people i mean one to stay with the car, and one to carry, because in Dublin city if you leave the car on the road it wont be there when you get back, either that or all the rest of your kit is gone.

Anyway, thanks for all of your input and ideas, it has been greatly appreciated. I am moving on with the project and i will let you know what I come up with!

Thanks again
-Al

Again, man, check out the nesting penguin kits at www.whitneydrums.com. They all fold into one drum and are light-weight. The stand folds into another container. So, you have one bag for hardware, one bag with all the drums, and you grab your cymbal bag and you're good to go. One person, one trip, they are regular drums, you can get them at full dimensions, etc.

I checked out the site, I'd love to hear how they sound because they are really innovative little kits. on top of that the finishes are great and the kits look so comfortable.

Hello all!

For my thesis i am designing a new kind of drum kit! Cool right?! I cant tell you too much about it yet except that it is to do with the ammount of space a drum kit takes up. So i need to know your opinions on something to get the ball rolling.

Are you confined to a bedroom, garage, attic to practise in? Or any small space in fact?

Do you find that your kit is too big for the stages that your band plays on?

I want you to tell me any and every little annoyance and problem you have with setting up your kit in these small spaces! Leave nothing out!

You never know, i might end up solving your problem!

Thanks a million

Al

The idea sounds great,
I would love a fold up kit that maybe that you could wheel around it would be great ! You could take the idea of a drum rack and add thin toms, Maybe fold it up at put in a bag or whatever i can't wait, Send me a pic or somthing when your done by pm

Thanks

Tris

This has probably been discussed before but my problem is travel. If you can design something that sets up a little bigger but packs small, for instance in an airline Carry On, that would sold a bunch of issues.

Bicycles have taken to cutting the frame in half, the whole things bolts together and fits in a suit case.

Some food for thought.

John

well im assuming this whole thread is more geared at protable "practice" kits and not "play live-giging" kits. key things to think about im my opinion when designing a practice are::

1. Feel, it must feel as close as possible to a realistic kit. this means not only feeling like a drum head, but not being terribly out of proportion to the point that your scrunched up.

2. portability, obviously it must pack up into a small unit for carrying/storage.

if you can master this and do it at an affordable price than you'll have yourself a nice little investment.

the hard part is doing something that hasnt been done already...so good luck man!

those whitney penguin kits look sweet and id love to hear from someone that has used/owned/played one. how do they sound? and how much do they run?

Back