Drummers who have changed brand affiliation the most??

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have an old Modern Drummer from the 80s where Phil Collins is endorsing both Pearl and Gretsch (or maybe Pearl and Tama) in the same issue. I think it was just a scheduling error in the advertising department.

I have that issue too...It's Pearl and Gretsch. I think Phil's departure from Pearl was very sudden and when he called Gretsch they were quick to snap him up and ready to publicize it. For their part Pearl is still using Phil in ads today, in spite of the fact he was only on their roster for about a year.

timmdrum

Silver Member
That was around the time I first started playing that, and actually how I discovered the brand. From 2001-2003/04 I worked in a Mom & Pop shop in Niagara Falls. We were a Peace dealer and I was really impressed with the quality of the drums. I developed a relationship with the company and not long after they brought me on as an official Artist. I was featured in all the trade ads in Modern Drummer, DRUM!, even some international publications like Rhythm Magazine in the UK. Had photos of me at all the trade show booths, it was great! However things scaled back over the years and by 2011 (when I signed with Yamaha) It was much more difficult to locate product in stores, and no rental houses around the country carried them.
I can't speak on their behalf, but it seems like the higher ups in Taiwan no longer hand an interest in pushing the brand as a high end competitor.
There was no hard feelings when I called them to let them know I was going to sign with Yamaha. It was one of the single hardest phone calls I ever had to make. Thankfully I was able to still maintain a good relationship with the people who worked in the US offices and get along with them all still to this day.
All interesting info, thanks! On the Dealers section of the site, they show a lot of places in my state (NC), but I wonder if it's outdated info. Their site needs help.

Otto

Platinum Member
I fear the day I go to see a great drummer at their latest project....and they have TACO BELL's Logo plastered on their bass drum.

Can we pass legislation that at least keeps endorsements by drummers to equipment holding the companies label?...pretty please?

<<i'd like a bean burrito with those stands and pepsi...no coke>>

oh, and MONEY(to answer the OP)

..oh, and to preemptively interrupt... please don't traumatize me with existing images...I cant afford the therapy.

toddmc

Gold Member
I fear the day I go to see a great drummer at their latest project....and they have TACO BELL's Logo plastered on their bass drum.

Can we pass legislation that at least keeps endorsements by drummers to equipment holding the companies label?...pretty please?

<<i'd like a bean burrito with those stands and pepsi...no coke>>

oh, and MONEY(to answer the OP)

..oh, and to preemptively interrupt... please don't traumatize me with existing images...I cant afford the therapy.
That's an interesting thought and something you never really see (although I'm sure those traumatising images are out there).

Obviously the established bands don't need the sponsorship $$ but aside from that I can't think of anything less "rock n' roll" than seeing any corporate image emblazoned all over a bass drum head- the band's image would never recover!

Having said that, please enjoy Charlie's affiliation with a certain coffee brand (sorry, couldn't resist)! ?

df9bd411e7974d11feaec41e8881bf8b.jpg