Drummers who have changed brand affiliation the most??

brushes

Who knows? Maybe he wasn't under a contract? Purchasing his own gear, maybe at discount prices? Trial period?
Sonor had built an exclusive SQ2Drumset for him, and they made huuuuge marketing buzz about Nicko coming back home to Sonor. And then... Bang... Off he goes and BDC build almost exactly the same drumset for him. Absolutely weird story.

drumhedd

One of the weirdest hopping was that of McBrain. Sonor, Premier, then... back to Sonor for... Three months? And then British Drum Company.
Nicko was with Sonor for around 15 years, and then Premier for over 20... yes, he switched back to Sonor for 2.5 years and then went to BDC, but given his whole history I'd hardly call put him amongst drummers who change brands "the most". Also worth noting he's been with Paiste for like 40 years...

s1212z

Bosphorus -> Crescent -> Sabian -> Zildjian within of a couple years with a trail of 'signature' cymbals, lol. I think Stanton's signature cymbal is actually old As

drumhedd

Sonor had built an exclusive SQ2Drumset for him, and they made huuuuge marketing buzz about Nicko coming back home to Sonor. And then... Bang... Off he goes and BDC build almost exactly the same drumset for him. Absolutely weird story.
I don't know anything concrete but I think some of it had to do with Nicko wanting to start designing and releasing signature products with Sonor, and Sonor not really being interested. Nearly the first thing after he joined BDC, he's already got two signature snare drums out.

Plus Keith Keough, the founder and head builder of BDC, worked with Nicko a ton when they were both with Premier. So it's really not as big a surprise as you might think.

brushes

Nicko was with Sonor for around 15 years, and then Premier for over 20... yes, he switched back to Sonor for 2.5 years and then went to BDC, but given his whole history I'd hardly call put him amongst drummers who change brands "the most". Also worth noting he's been with Paiste for like 40 years...
I did not say that he was a constant hopper. I only said that his last hopping was weird. ;)

Paul Blood

Vinnie's disengagement from Zildjian was quite surprising. My understanding is that he we instrumental in the founding of the A Custom line. You would think such a monumental contribution would secure a permanent affiliation, but more occurs behind the scenes than we can know.

Yes, you would think so.

PaisteGuy

Vinnie's disengagement from Zildjian was quite surprising. My understanding is that he we instrumental in the founding of the A Custom line. You would think such a monumental contribution would secure a permanent affiliation, but more occurs behind the scenes than we can know.

I’ve read over the years that Zildjian are difficult for drummers to work with, and when they fired one of their artist reps (his name escapes me at the moment) who was working with Peart, he went to Sabian and Neil followed him over. Plus, Neil has stated that he wanted certain things and they weren’t interested. It was the same with Ludwig, they wouldn’t honor his requests, so he went to DW.

C.M. Jones

I’ve read over the years that Zildjian are difficult for drummers to work with, and when they fired one of their artist reps (his name escapes me at the moment) who was working with Peart, he went to Sabian and Neil followed him over. Plus, Neil has stated that he wanted certain things and they weren’t interested. It was the same with Ludwig, they wouldn’t honor his requests, so he went to DW.

I've played nothing but Zildjian cymbals since the '80s (though I did briefly migrate to Paiste in the '90s). I have lots of positive things to say about Zildjian, but I can see how their commitment to heritage might be a deterrent to flexibility at times. Their history is the crux of their image, and preserving it is a top priority.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Cobham and Collins from Zildjian to Sabian. Joe Morello from Zildjian to Paiste to Sabian. Kiko Freytas from Istanbul to Sabian. Keith Moon from Zildjian to Paiste.
Keith Moon was never officially a Zildjian endorser. Keith actually went most of his career without any cymbal endorsement and went back and forth quite often. Though he did officially sign with Paiste before his death.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member

It's also possible that with Vinnie's aging ears, the A Customs were beginning to sound a little dull, and the Paiste harmonics sounded fresh and bright!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member

It's been a long time since an artist was paid directly to endorse a brand. I don't know of any drummers who currently have such an arrangement with a company. However, some companies do arrange for clinics, which translates into income for the drummer. Of course the drummer has to work for it, but that may be part of their endorsement agreement. Honestly, there's not a lot of money to be made doing clinics. You'd have to do a few a week to make any significant money, and there'd be little time left to actually perform with anyone. But, some drummers are best known as educators rather than players.

But there are other reasons that a drummer changes companies. From my Endorsement FAQ:

Sometimes the specifications or quality of a product change and it no longer meets the drummer's needs.... or the drummer discovers a preferable brand... or the manufacturer ceases production of the endorsed product... or the company out of business. These are among the acceptable reasons to discontinue endorsing a particular product or brand. The manufacturer also has the right to terminate the agreement if the endorser violates the terms of the endorsement agreement, or if it is determined that the endorser no longer possesses suitable promotional value.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
For Zildjian, it came down to Armand Zildjian passing away.

After Armand passed away, his daughters took over the company. Armand's long-time right-hand man, Lennie Demuzio and the daughters had a falling out not long after Armand passed away.

Lennie then went to work for Sabian. Several other key employees also left Zildjian right around the same time.

So many, many endorsers were loyal to Armand and/or Lennie, not necessarily the brand itself.

So many, Like Weckl, Peart and others filled Lennie to Sabian, because it was Lennie they were loyal to.

Others simply no longer felt tied to the brand with Armand gone and went to Paiste or other 3rd party brands. Some right away (Tommy Aldridge, Josh Freese) and others took a while (Vinnie C)

And the reality is, behind many brand changes it's because someone behind the scenes went to work for another company, and endorsers followed.

When Zildjian bought out Vic Firth, the longtime Vic Firth artist relations rep got laid off. When D'Addario bought out Evans and Promark, they hired him. So, guess what? Many Vic Firth artists switched to Promark and/or Evans.

People do business with people they like. And if your long time business friend gets a new job, it's easy to follow them

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
No worries, as I wouldn't consider that bragging at all. ;):devilish:
Well, over the years it’s been a love-hate thing with them. I was never happy with the sound I got from the straight maple and I thought it was me until I got cherry-mahogany. I could’ve loved them earlier if I only knew straight maple wasn’t my thing. But maybe imperfect maple in the form of slightly out-of-round shells is my thing since these old Slingerlands seem to have a nice tone to them now.

I’d love to try a Trick aluminum kit, though.

Black page

Erskine ones told in an interview that he moved to DW because Yamaha stopped listening to the artist. I'm wandering more why he moved to Tama. Was it just the Star line? But how about JR? Pearl Yamaha pearl Yamaha pearl Yamaha and eventually DW... And from zildjian to paiste..... The story I heard about Vinnie moving to paiste was Zildjian delivered cymbals during the back 2 bass tour that weren't much to his liking. Some behind the scenes footages show him playing Paistes...