Drummers who have changed brand affiliation the most??

Paul Blood

Some drummers seem to stick to one brand their whole career, like Ringo and Ludwig, Charlie Watts and Gretsch. Steve Gadd and Yamaha.

Other drummers seem to change quite often, like Peter Erskine, Greg Bissonnette, and Vinnie Colaiuta.

What do you think prompts the changes? Sound? Money? Novelty?

Has there been any drummer's change of brand that really surprised you?

C.M. Jones

I would surmise that endorsement opportunities and associated perks drive the bulk of brand transitions. Most players acknowledge that every reputable drum company produces great gear. Because of that, sticking with one brand makes sense until incentives nudge you toward another.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Some drummers seem to stick to one brand their whole career, like Ringo and Ludwig, Charlie Watts and Gretsch. Steve Gadd and Yamaha.

Other drummers seem to change quite often, like Peter Erskine, Greg Bissonnette, and Vinnie Colaiuta.

What do you think prompts the changes? Sound? Money? Novelty?

Has there been any drummer's change of brand that really surprised you?
Buddy floated around a bit, but I never saw him on a Gretsch kit. I was surprised at the one picture I saw of him playing a Vox kit back in the 60s, though.

I had heard Erskine left Yamaha because he wanted flat-based light stands and Yamaha wouldn’t do it, because he went to DW first then ended up at Tama.

But when people go to another brand, it’s just business, or time for a change. Sometimes artists have legit gripes about certain gear and would never play it, or their contract just runs out and it’s time to move on. Some guys are loyal and stay, others may be searching for the right amount of support.

I don’t want to brag, but I must be a DW guy since I’ve owned six of their kits so far and really like my latest one - and the fact that they own Slingerland is ok by me.

Paul Blood

B

I had heard Erskine left Yamaha because he wanted flat-based light stands and Yamaha wouldn’t do it, because he went to DW first then ended up at Tama.

I always wondered why he left Yamaha, but that makes sense! I wonder why Vinnie left Yamaha and Zildjian too?

gish

Right? Ludwig, Slingerland, Mapex what else?
Ddrum, Premier....and probably a few more we are forgetting.

How about Gregg Bissonette? Played Yamaha when he came to prominence with DLR. Went to Pearl for a while, then went to Mapex for a long while. Left Mapex for Dixon.

brushes

Also keep in mind that endorsements are not a one-sided thing. Sometimes a drummers reputation drops, his global visibility goes nowhere. If he ain't a good face for marketing purposes anymore, contracts can end. Like players in the NFL or NHL. You better perform well and are good for advertising and credibility of the franchise, or you will be a free agent soon.

Paul Blood

How about Gregg Bissonette? Played Yamaha when he came to prominence with DLR. Went to Pearl for a while, then went to Mapex for a long while. Left Mapex for Dixon.

Yes, for sure, Greg Bissonette comes to mind as a drummer that frequently changes brands.

Paul Blood

We see guess like Greg Bissonete and Carmen Appice change their drum affiliations, but not too many change their cymbal endorsements, right?
Vinnie did change from Zildjian to Paiste though... Any others?

brushes

Cobham and Collins from Zildjian to Sabian. Joe Morello from Zildjian to Paiste to Sabian. Kiko Freytas from Istanbul to Sabian. Keith Moon from Zildjian to Paiste.

Paul Blood

One of the weirdest hopping was that of McBrain. Sonor, Premier, then... back to Sonor for... Three months? And then British Drum Company.

Who knows? Maybe he wasn't under a contract? Purchasing his own gear, maybe at discount prices? Trial period?