Drummers who are mainly percussionists

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Of course we're all percussionists but in this thread I mean those who usually play hand percussion with drummers.

The Alex Acuna thread got me thinking, given that his drumming in Heavy Weather is some of my favourite playing, eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QixVEoa598

Then there's Airto on RTF's first album, which is probably my fave drumming of all time. It's the airy, intricate feel that gets me.

Any others?

aydee

Platinum Member
I'm one of those who loved Alex's drumset playing too, Pol. Heavy Weather was a seminal album for me as well. Airto, Sheila E are also good examples of perc players of the drumkit.

I personally have always struggled with hand or finger playing. I guess it doesn't excite me enough to to play but am a happy listener.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Yes, Alex A was outstanding on HW. Haven't seen much of Sheila E on kit - hard to find good quality vids that aren't solos.

Just thought of another one - Don Alias with Joni Mitchell.

I have mixed feelings about just playing hand percussions. I'd like to be liberated from foot playing but my feet seem to anchor my groove.

W

wy yung

I make my living primarily as a drummer, but about 30 percent of my work is derived from the following instruments: batucada and choro instruments from Brasil. Such as zabumba, chocalo, pandeiro etc, Afro Cuban instruments such as congas, bells, bongos etc, Middle eastern instruments such as riq, dar etc.

Everything from agogo bells to zabumba

The only classical western drum though is classical snare drum.

wsabol

Gold Member
The Alex Acuna thread got me thinking, given that his drumming in Heavy Weather is some of my favourite playing, eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QixVEoa598

Then there's Airto on RTF's first album, which is probably my fave drumming of all time. It's the airy, intricate feel that gets me.
Polly. Airto is amazing! So glad you brought his name up. His percussion work on Weather Report's frist album Weather Report is absolutely phenomenal. Seriously the best percussion work I've ever heard. Check it out.