Drummers - really - get your 5h17 together!

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I thought the standard list was - well, standard: sticks, cymbals, snare and pedal. Whatever the backline I always bring these, and often my own throne. Sometimes I'll even throw a hi-hat stand and one small cymbal stand in the car - some of the stands I've used on backlines have been miserable.

That way, if all else fails, all I really need is a bass drum that will stay in one place and I can get by.

On the other side of the coin, there's a very particular look I give to drummers who tell me - even after having been told to bring the 'standards' - that they've 'forgotten' their snare.

Seriously? You're a drummer and you 'forgot' your most personal piece of equipment? 'Well, I've got sticks, cymbals, a pedal and...what was that other thing? Can't for the life of me remember what it could possibly be! Must not be important.'
Yup. This is how I roll every day. In the car:
Snare, bass drum pedal, cymbals, sticks, throne, one extra stand and one extra hi-hat stand.

There's also a smattering of accessories in my cymbal bag; felts, sleeves, earplugs, etc.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I think sometimes that's their plan so they don't have to bring and be responsible or anything. Some other drummer will always lend them stuff.
I take no chances and bring my whole kit with me to events like that. Even if I don't need any of it. I wouldn't know that until I got there anyway, despite what ANYONE says. I go early and determine what my game plan is. I never trust backline, or what people say when it comes to that, period.

I'm through lending stuff out. I've done my share. It's far more entertaining for me to watch them squirm now, than to worry about my stuff.
I lend to drummer friends, and bands I know that 99% of the time they are on time, have gear etc. Drummer breaks a head or something sure, You can use my snare. For the most part, my snare, cymbals, pedal etc are out of the question. I'd loan a ride out but that's about it.

Going early is key too. If you notice something you can leave and come back, or go do an extra load to your car for "spares"

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
After our latest festival gig, I was thinking of a "PA companies - really - get your 5h17 together" thread, but it would likely crash the site!!!!!!!

philrudd

I think sometimes that's their plan so they don't have to bring and be responsible or anything.
Oh, it TOTALLY is. I give them a hard stare, then ask very slowly: "You FORGOT your SNARE?..." I know it's bullshit, and I want them to know I know it's bullshit.

If lugging around equipment is so difficult, why didn't these guys take up harmonica?...

Morrisman

Platinum Member
The only times I've played in multi band festivals, the entire kit including cymbals, snare, etc. has been provided. The only decision to make is "Can I live with their snare and cymbals, or swap with mine."
However, twice when we've been the second band in the line up, the first band didn't have a drummer, so I arrived to find the kit still packed up in cases backstage somewhere. There were mics on stands in the approximate places on stage, but no actual drums. Both times it was stressful and time consuming working out how this particular kit was assembled, which tom mounting system was supplied, etc.
At the second festival I located everything except a bass pedal, so I had to run half a kilometre to the car park to get mine, and only just got back through security in time. The sound was sloppy of course, foldback was a mess, but the show must go on.....

moxman

Silver Member
The last time I let someone use my kit was with the the understanding they bring their own snare and sticks (as the opening act (who begged to open for us) didn't want the hassle of moving gear etc.
So the guy shows up with a plastic grocery bag. What's in the bag I ask.. "3 electronic drum pads" What do you expect to do with those? I ask " do you have a drum machine I can plug them into? I'm like 'did you not the get the memo??? So I had to lend the JA my snare and sticks.. no biggie - but it's not worth the hassle.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Oh, it TOTALLY is. I give them a hard stare, then ask very slowly: "You FORGOT your SNARE?..." I know it's bullshit, and I want them to know I know it's bullshit.

If lugging around equipment is so difficult, why didn't these guys take up harmonica?...
I've had shows where we've had a support band dumped on us (we've not been asked whether we want or need one, usually neither) so inevitably you get these bands getting in touch asking to use all your gear because they've 'only got one car for the whole band' cue worlds smallest violin.........not endearing yourself to us at all and coming across as a bunch of amateurs who shouldn't be taking gigs they can't fulfill.

Had occasions where they don't show when you tell them they have to bring their own equipment. They seem to think it will ruin the night but in truth you're over the moon, you know you'll be finished on time and on stage on time because when they bring their own gear they don't know how to get their shit on and off stage quickly.