Drummers - really - get your 5h17 together!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
It's festival season, & in my minor league world, this is where all the early schedule drummer morons emerge to provide ample drummer stupidity myth support evidence. Case in point from Saturday.

I get to the site before gates open (10:00AM) to get better vehicle access to the stage. Well run event for around 1,500 audience. A decent backline shell set & stands are provided, leaving only seat, pedal, cymbals, sticks, + any add ons you want to provide. This was communicated very clearly in a comprehensive pre event instruction notification to all acts. A green room, & secure gear setup storage is also provided. As a later act, I get the luxury of using my own kit.

I leave my gear & return later as we're not on stage until 7:45PM (gig was fairly local). Following message thread from organiser in my absence:

Stage shot for context. Huge open 3 sides barn - actually, a very cool gig (except it was a really hot / humid day)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
On the one hand, I get your frustration. It blows my mind how things get forgotten. On the other hand, sometimes I think if you don't provide everything in the kit (like we do at Disneyland), you are guaranteed that someone will not have gotten the memo about what of their own to bring. for us, all a drummer really needs to bring is his stick bag, and we'll provide the rest. That's spelled out in any memos they get, and even then, we have sticks floating around too. It just makes it easier on everybody. Personally, I like it when nothing is provided, and the drummer just functions normally and brings his own stuff in. Our Orange County Fair does this, and although it's an extra hassle for all the drummers to haul their stuff in from the giant parking lot, at least they all know there's nothing provided for them and they have to take care of themselves. With drummers you either make it too easy, or too difficult. Because of the little pieces and bits involved, I think that's the easiest way.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I relate to everything................Except this:

"except it was a really hot/humid day"

Dude!! (as an aside, I know how much that pisses a certain member off too.........pretty much why I did it!!)

FFS! You're from the UK. "Hot" and "Humid" really aren't terms you should be flippantly tossing around, no?
26 degrees Celsius and 27 mins of bright sunshine are neither to be considered hot, nor humid in the real world.

However, as to the drummer rant........as you were. :)

mikyok

Platinum Member
It's festival season, & in my minor league world, this is where all the early schedule drummer morons emerge to provide ample drummer stupidity myth support evidence.
Oh how I don't miss amateur hour with these kind of bands. My bullshit tolerance level is dangerously low and I really struggle to suffer these kind of fools kindly. If you have a car full of gear you can be forgiven for forgetting the odd thing now and again, it happens to the best of us! But sticks, pedal, cymbals and stool come on, you can take that on the bus!

Whatever level you play at be professional, the organiser should have said if you show up without your gear you're not playing. The organiser shouldn't be messaging you to save the day on behalf of someones incompetence. You got there early, organised and ready to play hours in advance for your convenience not anyone else's, nor are you a hire company. My reply would not have been quite so accommodating!

There's also the very real risk of equipment getting damaged or worse stolen. Did any of these idiots thank you for bailing them out?

Like Bo said the best way is to say provide everything yourself. It makes people take responsibility.

Woolwich

Silver Member
Aaahhhh.
While I understand Bo’s point about how it’s done at Disney, that’s Disney! The pinnacle of the entertainment world, professionalism and slickness given and expected. Here in Blighty, in a barn or a field as I was on Saturday budgets and logistical support are more modest.
If an event manager is sending out a comprehensive communication of what is and isn’t needed then there isn’t much in the way of excuses for getting it wrong. If a pedal broke or a seat collapsed unexpectedly that’s one thing, but to not bring them just fulfils the stereotype of the idiot drummer. I’m semi amateur and I travel with two pedals, two snares, a bass drum batter head and an emergency stick bag in the wheel well of my car containing sticks and a drum key. Yes we could give the guys from Andy’s event the benefit of the doubt but I find in life that a lot of doubt benefitting goes on. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it probably is a duck, or in this case a drummer who doesn’t have his act together.
I’d be interested to know from my multi instrumentalist colleagues on here if this is limited too or mainly seen in drummers. I’ve recently viewed an exchange on Facebook between a drummer who plays in a band that boasts of the 100% live thing and travels extensively to play in clubs (for club money) but who doesn’t appear to have any grasp of tuning or the concepts of drums. Maybe it’s me not being exposed to other forums but it’s not something I see so explicitly with other musicians.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I thought “sticks, pedal, cymbals, stool” was so standard as the list of things you always bring that it’s never an issue. I actually don’t care if people use any of those except my cymbals. I’m even ok with cymbals if it’s a low-volume act, or I’ve seen the drummer play and know he won’t break them.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
While I understand Bo’s point about how it’s done at Disney, that’s Disney!
Wholeheartedly agreed.

If the world's most famous mouse guaranteed all my shit, then I'd make it available freely too. However, like many of us, I live in a world where the mouse doesn't. So 'RTFM' and bring the basic requirements laid out within.........despite the scorching English summer. :)

mikyok

Platinum Member
FFS! You're from the UK. "Hot" and "Humid" really aren't terms you should be flippantly tossing around, no?
26 degrees Celsius and 27 mins of bright sunshine are neither to be considered hot, nor humid in the real world.
We're designed for drizzle, anything outside those parameters and we're in trouble.

I was playing outdoors Saturday too, it was 33 degrees all day with no wind at all, not drumming weather at all, played the gig in my cricket sun hat.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
We're designed for drizzle, anything outside those parameters and we're in trouble.

I was playing outdoors Saturday too, it was 33 degrees all day with no wind at all, not drumming weather at all, played the gig in my cricket sun hat.
Ah yes. Many, many a fine achievement has occurred in a cricket hat Mikyok. No finer than an Englishman on a drum kit in full flight.
And yes,, sweating away behind a drum kit in 33 degrees......even in this part of the world......is unenviable.

And fear not, i fully realise that with an ashes contest on our doorsteps, the likelihood of you guys throwing darts back towards the antipodes is high. I promise I'll take it like a man if/when the times comes!!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Ah yes. Many, many a fine achievement has occurred in a cricket hat Mikyok. No finer than an Englishman on a drum kit in full flight.
And yes,, sweating away behind a drum kit in 33 degrees......even in this part of the world......is unenviable.

And fear not, i fully realise that with an ashes contest on our doorsteps, the likelihood of you guys throwing darts back towards the antipodes is high. I promise I'll take it like a man if/when the times comes!!
Got tickets for day 1, 1st test. Can't wait! The abuse comes with the territory and you have to give as good as you take but it's the oldest sporting rivalry and long may it last.

We'll let you guys enjoy the late nights trying to watch it. I remember the last one I went to bed in a bad mood and looking at the scores in the morning only made it worse :)

I think I'm better drumming in my floppy hat that playing cricket in it. In it for the teas nowadays!

Anyone in America or Europe trying to follow this conversation I apologise!

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Oh how I don't miss amateur hour with these kind of bands. My bullshit tolerance level is dangerously low and I really struggle to suffer these kind of fools kindly. If you have a car full of gear you can be forgiven for forgetting the odd thing now and again, it happens to the best of us! But sticks, pedal, cymbals and stool come on, you can take that on the bus!

Whatever level you play at be professional, the organiser should have said if you show up without your gear you're not playing. The organiser shouldn't be messaging you to save the day on behalf of someones incompetence. You got there early, organised and ready to play hours in advance for your convenience not anyone else's, nor are you a hire company. My reply would not have been quite so accommodating!

There's also the very real risk of equipment getting damaged or worse stolen. Did any of these idiots thank you for bailing them out?

Like Bo said the best way is to say provide everything yourself. It makes people take responsibility.

It’s not amateur hour as much as human nature. I have played some festivals/shows with national touring acts, and the drummers have forgotten things on more than one occasion.

The issue seems to be when things get backlined. The drummer doesn’t have their set routine, doesn’t get the email from the promoter/tour manager/etc.. so they don’t bring x, y, or z.

I have loaned bass drum pedals, sticks, snare drums, thrones, etc... to “pros” more than once.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Anymore I say no. Actually, what I say is ABSOLUTELY NOT. I've said yes for far too long. It's not fair to my no.

Really, if someone forgot something and they suffered in some way because of it, maybe they wouldn't forget anything ever again. They've never suffered apparently, because someone always saves their ass. I'm happy to reverse that.

Come to think of it...this could be transformed into a money making opportunity! I would rent stuff to them for a jacked up price. That'll teach em.

The way I look at it now, I'm helping them more...in the long run...by shutting them down...than I would if I lent my whatever to them. Tough love ha ha.

If you give a man a fish, he will have one meal. If you teach a man how to fish....I forget the rest.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I'm pretty sure the phrase you're trying to remember is "give a man a bass drum pedal and he'll have a bass drum pedal for the rest of a gig. Rent a man a bass drum pedal for £30 just the once, and he'll never need to rent or borrow a bass drum pedal again".

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've been playing out for about 25 years now, and one time back in the 1990s, I forgot my hardware bag. I never forgot anything again until recently which happened twice in a row with the same band. With the bluegrass group I play with from time to time, I forgot my only cymbal stand at a gig, but I still had my hats so I was able to make due. Last practice, I forgot my snare stand.

My conclusion? I swear it's easier just to bring everything than to bring just a few pieces. When I play my regular setup, I never forget anything. Ever.

mikyok

Platinum Member
It’s not amateur hour as much as human nature. I have played some festivals/shows with national touring acts, and the drummers have forgotten things on more than one occasion.

The issue seems to be when things get backlined. The drummer doesn’t have their set routine, doesn’t get the email from the promoter/tour manager/etc.. so they don’t bring x, y, or z.

I have loaned bass drum pedals, sticks, snare drums, thrones, etc... to “pros” more than once.
We'll agree to disagree. Mickey Mouse is the correct term but the irony is that Disney provide all the gear :)

Fair play that you do dig randoms out of a hole but they don't learn their lesson that way. Hope at the very least you get a few beers for it.

Who doesn't bring cymbals, snare, stool, sticks and pedal to a backline gig? There's no excuse for that. I'd add snare stand too for a quicker swap over.

Guess what happens if I forget anything major like a pedal or sticks, the gig doesn't happen no excuses.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
We'll agree to disagree. Mickey Mouse is the correct term but the irony is that Disney provide all the gear :)

Fair play that you do dig randoms out of a hole but they don't learn their lesson that way. Hope at the very least you get a few beers for it.

Who doesn't bring cymbals, snare, stool, sticks and pedal to a backline gig? There's no excuse for that. I'd add snare stand too for a quicker swap over.

Guess what happens if I forget anything major like a pedal or sticks, the gig doesn't happen no excuses.
You would be surprised by how often it happens- even with large, national touring acts.

beatdat

My band played a gig last month that was organized by a mutual friend of ours. We opened, a second band played and then our friend's band closed the night.

It was understood that the drummers were to bring their own breakables (eg. cymbals, pedal, snare and throne). The bar provided the rest. No problem.

A couple of hours before the show, I received a message from our mutual friend asking if his drummer could use my cymbals, pedal, snare and throne. Normally, I'd be ok with someone using everything but my cymbals, but this time I had intended to cab all of my band's stuff back to the rehearsal space after our set and then cab it back to the bar to enjoy the rest of the night, have a few drinks and not have to worry about taking our stuff back to the space at 2am. I told him as much, and his drummer ended up using the second band's drummer's breakables.

Turns out that our mutual friend's drummer doesn't have, not just a kit, but even breakables. Apparently, he got rid of everything when he and his wife had their child.

I get not keeping a kit around once you have a child, but how can you expect to drum in a band, play shows, and not own at least cymbals, bass drum pedal, throne and a snare. Heck, when I took my 10 year hiatus from drums, I kept all of my cymbals and my snare drum, even though at the time I didn't think I'd ever get back behind the kit.

So, what's worse, the drummer who occasionally forgets a piece of equipment (I'm sure it's happened to all of us) and has to borrow someone else's for the night, or a drummer who only has a pair of sticks and expects to use someone else's equipment at his own show?

TMe

I've been on both sides of that. I open my cymbal case and... where are my high-hats? (That's when I started using a list and checking it twice.)

Darth Vater

When I played pro in the 70's/80's there wasn't anywhere near the gear sharing that goes on now. Only thing that generally got shared was a PA. It was very rare to have more than 2 bands on a gig except for maybe the odd festival show. I can count on one hand the times I played somebody else's kit. We would help somebody out if they broke a head or throne. Most of us had our spares with us at all times.