Drummers Gloves

MntnMan62

I guess one pro might be to avoid getting a blister that opens up on you while playing. But a con is that playing with gloves can mean you don't build up callouses and therefore, strangely enough, make you more prone to blisters when not wearing gloves. Also, another con is a lack of "feel" while playing. I prefer to play without gloves as I want to have a direct connection between me and the sticks. I find it makes a difference for more subtle playing. I suppose if all you're doing is bashing around the kit all night long, gloves make sense. But that would make playing the drums far less enjoyable to me.

Last edited:

Fritz Frigursson

you can play as hard as you want with gloves on and you won’t get blisters, but i value technique and the well being of my stuff so i never use them. usually when you get blisters it’s a sign that you should play lighter or should improve your technique

TMe

If there's anybody who doesn't hate gloves, what kind do you recommend? Would fingerless golf gloves be better than any sold as "drummer's gloves", if I modify them a bit?

My hands are about a million years old and have taken a lot of abuse. Keeping them warm makes them work better so I want to try drumming with gloves. I'm just waiting for our lockdown to end so I can try some on.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I don't hate them. I have a set of the Zildjian drum gloves that I keep in my drum bag. The skin on my hands can crack pretty badly depending on the season, and using lotion to soften my hands can cause the stick to slip. I use gloves if the skin starts to feel badly, especially when I'm playing those 3-4 hour sets. If I have to use hot rods for an extended period of time, I use them.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I'm not convinced that gloves are for those just bashing around, or hinder proper technique.

View attachment 104816View attachment 104817
I'd venture to say Stewart & Carter are the exception.

Guys like Vinnie Paul wore them & they were kit bashers of the loudest caliber.
Lars did the tape deal & I'm sure that saved his hands from issues too.

I tried them & found myself hitting harder than I needed to. Like it's been stated, the finesse was gone so I dropped the idea.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Gloves come down to how much do your palms sweat?

Some people can sweat like crazy and still have dry palms.
Other people will sweat from their palms before anywhere else.

There is no pro or con, or judgment, it's down to how your body works.

MntnMan62

Last edited:
Reactions: J-W

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I wore gloves for years. Started in High School and keep up with it really until the last 10 years or so. I still use them when doing gigs with Street Drum Corps, but mainly because they help absorb some shock from the obscene things we are playing on. (Kegs, Oil Drums, Barrels). That's also why we use Ahead drumsticks.

When it comes to kit playing I prefer to feel the stick against my hand.

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
I keep a pair in the cymbal bag in case of emergencies.

Haven't had to use them in 17 years and pride myself on my hand technique but I don't tempt fate!

spelman

I wore gloves for years. Started in High School and keep up with it really until the last 10 years or so. I still use them when doing gigs with Street Drum Corps, but mainly because they help absorb some shock from the obscene things we are playing on. (Kegs, Oil Drums, Barrels). That's also why we use Ahead drumsticks.

When it comes to kit playing I prefer to feel the stick against my stick.
Uh-oh.