drummers gloves?

Drum Guy

I usually use baseball bat gloves, they're OK - wondered what's the best glove for drummers out there that holds up well, doesn't bleed through colors on hands and is under $30?

Following this.

A couple of times a year, my hands crack pretty bad, and I don't notice how dry they are until it's too late. I'd love keep a pair or two around for when it happens. It REALLY stinks when the skin on my hands crack and I don't notice it until I'm about 20 minutes into a three-hour set.

Try some golf gloves. They are really thin. You have to buy each side though, they are only sold as a left or a right.

Cracked hands reminds me of my research years where the gloves cause me to have bleeding cracked hands for about 20 years. No matter latex, vinyl, neoprene, etc the gloves would dry my hands so bad-that and washing a bunch after handling toxic or radioactive reagents. I hate gloves with a passion now.

using these now (baseball gloves) $25 - seems good, I need something for sure as I immediately get blisters if don't use gloves

IMG_2557.JPG

I also put a little gorilla tape on the areas that I know break through after much use. and being white leather material they don't seem to bleed through onto hand ever.

IMG_2558.JPG

Last edited:
I used a lot of different drumsticks. I also tried bike and baseball gloves. there are really a lot of worthy gloves under 30$. I can’t name their brands in order for this message is not considered spam or advertising. I advise you to read this article, there are interesting reviews and information. Good luck)

Last edited:
I bought a pair of AHEAD drummer's gloves a while back, just to give them a try. They're well made, but I quickly concluded that gloves diminish feel and decided they weren't for me. I now use them for weightlifting. They serve that purpose quite well.

Batter's gloves, which you're currently using, are rather thick in my experience as a baseball player. I would think they diminish feel even more. Golf gloves might serve you better. Carter Beauford of the Dave Mathew's band drums in golf gloves.

I bought two pairs of the Ahead gloves and they work well. But my thing is during the colder months, my hands start to crack, which makes the gloves necessary. I’m in the process of learning to take care of my skin during the hot months and have started to apply Bag Balm skin moisturizer before the colder season begins. This year it’s been much better.

One vote for golf gloves.

I bought a pair of AHEAD drummer's gloves a while back, just to give them a try. They're well made, but I quickly concluded that gloves diminish feel and decided they weren't for me.

I bought a pair about 17 years ago, still live in the cymbal bag in case of emergency but haven't been needed in 16 years when I found out the hard way what happens when you use those god awful dip sticks with Moeller technique.

Going back to the OP, I'd always recommend looking at studying good hand technique before looking at gloves, especially if you're getting blisters. It will improve your sound and feel infinitely when you're not holding on for dear life which is what usually causes blisters.

I bought a pair about 17 years ago, still live in the cymbal bag in case of emergency but haven't been needed in 16 years when I found out the hard way what happens when you use those god awful dip sticks with Moeller technique.

Going back to the OP, I'd always recommend looking at studying good hand technique before looking at gloves, especially if you're getting blisters. It will improve your sound and feel infinitely when you're not holding on for dear life which is what usually causes blisters.

Absolutely. I've never had hand issues of any sort. I play German Grip and hold the stick quite loosely to allow it to do most of the work through natural rebound. My technique is pretty low stress overall.

Blisters are generally caused by grip problems, so yes, that's the first issue the OP can address. Gloves help some players with that. But gloves do serve an additional benefit: impact and vibration reduction. They absorb extra shock so our fingers and hands don't have to. Even so, I don't like gloves. They inhibit feel in my opinion.

I use AHEAD sticks, to which I apply grip tape. It's the perfect combination for me.

Absolutely. I've never had hand issues of any sort. I play German Grip and hold the stick quite loosely to allow it to do most of the work through natural rebound. My technique is pretty low stress overall.

Blisters are generally caused by grip problems, so yes, that's the first issue the OP can address. Gloves help some players with that. But gloves do serve an additional benefit: impact and vibration reduction. They absorb extra shock so our fingers and hands don't have to. Even so, I don't like gloves. They inhibit feel in my opinion.

I use AHEAD sticks, to which I apply grip tape. It's the perfect combination for me.

The Ahead sticks, haven't seen those in years. I used to use them when I was a poor student and a pair of those would last me ages compared to the equivalent number of wooden sticks and save me a fortune in the long run. I've been using Pellwood for years, they make you your own sticks just the way you like em and way cheaper than any of the big manuafacturers.

I play with a ridiculously loose grip so anything grippy causes friction and crazy painful blisters on all my fingers (see last time I wore gloves :)).

There are reasons to wear gloves, but if it's purely because you can't play without getting blisters chances are you can, as with all of us, do some improvement to your grip and technique.

Another vote for dipped sticks, I tried a pair and was impressed.

wow - I'm amazed by the number of people experiencing skin issues and are actively using or considering gloves. I thought it was some strange outlier but my sympathies to all of your dealing with these issues.

I remember seeing guys like Matt Sorum using drum gloves back in the day and considered it some strange fashion statement!

I use Howie's hockey tape on all of my sticks and sometimes wear Ahead gloves. I had a pretty serious issue in my cervical spine that affects my grip strength. I had surgery when I was 32 (11 years ago), but the nerves didn't make a complete recovery and sometimes I drop things.

Wow I thought this was only me. I bought a cheap foam latex coated palm/ rubber glove like a heavy duty garden glove from the Dollar Store. But this is what really makes a difference not so much the glove. Go to Talon Grips they make custom wraps for firearms but they also sell sheets of the material they use so you can cut it yourself. I got some of the sandpaper type and wrapped the sticks unbelievable difference. With the gloves plus the Talon Grips wrap it's awesome. Hope that helps.

Back