Drummers Arise

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

everything but country, mainstream pop and hip hop/rap

even though I play in a country band, I don't like the music ...I like the guys i play with though, and that is why I do it

Bozozoid

I'm stupid particular. You may even ask why are you playing drums then..i often wonder. I like zeppelin..some Sabbath..and Deep purple. Then I can turn around and get totally into bubblegum. That's it. Today I'm playing the he'll out of Shannon by Henry Gross. Love that tune to death.

Icetech

Gold Member
I rarely listen to music anymore other than when i play drums, i seem to mostly listen to podcasts.

But when i play it's mostly old rock and some jazz (which i can't play but i try)
This will be embarrassing but here's a quick rundown of random stuff youtube had me playing tonight..
Triumph- lay it on the line (Song that was on first time i got high coincidentally)
Cars - bye bye love
Triumph - fight the good fight
Cars - Moving in stereo
Deep Purple - Perfect strangers live in france 2005... it's so horrible i had to stop.. i love that band.. but some versions of it are just not right.
Judas Priest - green manalishi
Dio - man on the sliver mountain live 2005
Al Green - Let's stay together live on letterman 1995 (the best performance i have seen him give, it's awesome)
Tower of power - Attitude Dance (not gonna lie.. made it bout 30 seconds, still healing from surgery.. a lot of pain and yes it's an excuse..) TOP kicks my ass.
Pretenders - Brass in pocket live at the VH1 fashion awards (amazing performance,Chrissy shows a audience of supermodels that she is special... so special....
Garbage - silly girl live 2012 weeny roast..
Foghat - i just wanna make love to you, live in 1997, i am REALLY lovin foghat lately and it's a great performance

Then... Youtube threw Buddy Rich - Caravan at me.. seemed like a good time to quit :) plus the pain was too much, i'm afraid of tearing something before this shoulder fully heals up..

So there ya go.. my horrible list of tonights songs :) and yes.. i'm bored to death...

P.S. if i do listen to music at work, lately it's been Spectrum... it's just perfect..

BTW.. i haven't seen a lot of videos of buddy when he was younger.... just.. insane..

Because I listen to a lot of music while I work, but can't have lyrics (or I can't concentrate), I listen to primarily jazz (mainly hard bop from the 60s, with some fusion from the 70s, and then assorted other subgenres and time periods), classical (mainly romantic and modern, with some baroque and very little actual classical-period classical), ambient/minimalism and post-rock.

Auspicious

everything but country, mainstream pop and hip hop/rap

even though I play in a country band, I don't like the music ...I like the guys i play with though, and that is why I do it
Funny I am developing a strong taste for country myself. I think it's easy listening and often it's about the lyrics and very emotional music, It's a new kind of appreciation for me.

it took me decades to understand what is country apparently but it happened eventually and now it's impossible to dislike it. I mean good music.

someguy01

Just about anything. If it's music, I'll give it a listen, you never know what you may discover. The more you hear, the more ideas you'll have.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I listen to everything, including sounds such as wind chimes, barking dogs, thunder, planetary radio emissions.

• Haha
Reactions: J-W

Al Strange

I only listen to The Police…

Just kidding!!! 😂 As a drummer you could do a lot worse than study that band though. Outside of that I enjoy anything that is good irrespective of genre! (y) :D

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

This week's obsession is Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant Jesus by Olivier Messiaen...

I feel like Messiean is very underrated for the time period. I actually like him better than Bartok and Stravinsky

my fav works by him are Chronochromie and Colours de la cite celeste

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I feel like Messiean is very underrated for the time period. I actually like him better than Bartok and Stravinsky

my fav works by him are Chronochromie and Colours de la cite celeste
Criminally overlooked. His Livre l'Oiseau collections for Piano are fantastic too. I think part of my relationship with his work lies with the fact that I'm a synaesthete as well, although nowhere near as strong as he reportedly was. It just speaks to me - particularly his Piano music.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Criminally overlooked. His Livre l'Oiseau collections for Piano are fantastic too. I think part of my relationship with his work lies with the fact that I'm a synaesthete as well, although nowhere near as strong as he reportedly was. It just speaks to me - particularly his Piano music.
that is cool!!! I am not - or maybe I am not officially identified - but I absolutely get the idea of being able to identify non visual sensory reactions to colors. I have always done that. Certain smells are yellow, or red, or blue. Textures can feel grey, red, blue etc...

Messiean's music is definitely "headphones" music for me. I have to get lost in it...it can't be on as background music