Drummer whose career you envy and would switch places with

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If possible. That person's life goes along with your choice too.

I'm fascinated with Hal Blaine. If I had to pick one he'd be the guy.

I grew up being imprinted (unknowingly) by Hal and so by default he had an impactful influence. (I found out later)

When The Wrecking Crew" book and movie came out that really hit home. Wow.

What a life Hal's must have been.

C.M. Jones

All of George Strait's drummers over the decades. Mike Kennedy, who drummed with Strait for over twenty years, was killed in an auto accident in 2018, a major loss for country drumming. He had quite a career with Strait.

I wouldn't call my sentiment envy, though. That would just be my dream gig.

johnwesley

Silver Member

I grew up being imprinted (unknowingly) by Hal and so by default he had an impactful influence. (I found out later)

I too never realized until just a few years ago that Hal was a main influence on my drumming. Then I found out "HE'S ON ALL THOSE SONGS?"
As for envy and switching lives, it wouldn't work. Both BIG drumming influences died way too early. Dennis Wilson and Keith Moon. For me Dennis brought good looks, girls and having a good time to the table through his time with the Beach Boys. Moon epitomized rock drumming and the madness needed to be on top of it all. Weird to think, I'm now twice as old as either one when they died.

Benthedrummer

Don Famularo.

The guy travels the world, educates on his passion, is an active player, is an outstanding player and very powerful.

Hopefully he's well paid.....better find out before I swap with him ?

He has an incredible confidence.

He's got the most articulate speaking voice.

He's eternally grateful and happy about everything.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Don Famularo.

The guy travels the world, educates on his passion, is an active player, is an outstanding player and very powerful.

Hopefully he's well paid.....better find out before I swap with him ?

He has an incredible confidence.

He's got the most articulate speaking voice.

He's eternally grateful and happy about everything.
Agreed. I met Dom and from the first ten seconds you were friends. You felt like you had known him forever, and he you. Someone asked him during the session something he related to as being as not nice and said that I looked like his ex-wife. He even signed an autograph "to my wife"

mikyok

Platinum Member

Same here, the guy lived and breathed the golden age of recording and pop music.

Worked his arse off and only got recognition for it decades later. Wouldn't have wanted to go through those divorces mind.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I just dont know. The drummers who careers I envy are either dead now, had some kind of addiction, health problems, or major drama and discord in their life.

I guess maybe Steve Smith. He is still alive, seems to be in good health and spirit, made a bunch of music I love, and is a monster player.

John Longstreth would be my second. His drumming is where I want to be. I've spent some time with John, we've shared the stage half a dozen times or so, and he is very humble and down to earth. He also cares about his health. That is important to me.

It's the other stuff that worries me, not the drumming journey. I don't do stress or unhealthy well at all. If I feel like crap, everything sucks and nothing else matters.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Kenny Aronoff. He’s played with everyone, stays fit and has such a positive attitude. Oh, and there’s that blonde who walked in the room with him during the height of his time with John Cougar Mellencamp, when a half dozen drummers and I waited in a room for a masterclass with him. Mahwah, New Jersey 1980s.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

Even though he ended up completely broke?

Between his book and the movie about the Wrecking Crew, Hal's life isn't a secret.

Mr Farkle

Switch places? Not a single one. I already make a living competing in an art related field and I find it difficult. Wears me out, but at least I get to see my family at the end of the day. I get why so many artists lose their life to drugs, stress and loneliness. I know that some people can do well with it but I would not.

Steve Hass is a close exception. A pro that plays all the time, makes a decent living and sees his family at the end or the day (or maybe in the morning ?).

Indeed, one of the best to wield sticks. I recently saw a class he conducted devoted to snare patterns. His control is superhuman. I've saluted his abilities for many years.
But he was pretty open about how devastated he was to be fired from Journey; it apparently really shook his confidence, and that sounds like a pretty horrible thing to have gone through. So I'd take his talent in a nanosecond, and many of his experiences. But since we're talking about an artist's career, I think I'd skip that one, even if it did ultimately end up for the best.

Peter Erskine, on the other hand...yeah, that's a pretty sweet one. That or Bill Bruford. Or maybe Jack DeJohnette? (Not to mention I'd love to be able to play piano like him.)

Soulfinger

Envy is not part of my repertoire, and I´m very happy with my life so far but I´d probably go for Roy Haynes.
Played with all the legends from Charlie Parker to Pat Metheny, is still going strong at 95 and has a seriously cool grandkid (Marcus Gilmore). I certainly could live with that!

On second thought I don´t think I could stand playing a flatride exclusively for five decades so I´ll switch to Jack DeJohnette please, thank you. :)

C.M. Jones

Envy is not part of my repertoire, and I´m very happy with my life so far but I´d probably go for Roy Haynes.
Played with all the legends from Charlie Parker to Pat Metheny, is still going strong at 95 and has a seriously cool grandkid (Marcus Gilmore). I certainly could live with that!

On second thought I don´t think I could stand playing a flatride exclusively for five decades so I´ll switch to Jack DeJohnette please, thank you. :)

Yeah, Smith's falling out with Journey was a real tragedy, a sad blemish on an otherwise stellar career.