DRUMMER TIMING ISSUES

S E Slick

HELLO FELLOW MUSICIANS,

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR ADVISE AND KNOWLEDGE, IT SUPPORTS MY BELIEF AS WELL...BUT, I'M A GUITAR PLAYER IN A 3 PIECE,
HEAVY, ROCK, ORIGINAL, PWR TRIO BAND, WE ALL ENJOY JAMMING AND GIGGING TOGETHER AND WRITING SONGS AS WELL. WE ARE ALL
COMFORTABLE AND COMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER. UNFORTUNATELY AS TIME HAS GONE BY OUR DRUMMER HAS GOTTEN TOO COMFORTABLE WITH
PLAYING OUR SONGS "HIS WAY, HIS TIMING." THE SONGS HAVE DRIFTED AWAY FROM THEIR ORIGINAL TEMPO, FEEL
AND GROOVE. ME AND MY BASS PLAYER/SINGER BOTH HAVE THE SAME CONCERNS. HIS BEATS, HIS LICKS, ROLLS, KIT, CREATIVITY AND
PERSONALITY ARE NOT AN ISSUE. OBLIVIOUS FLUCTUATION IS...FROM INTRO TO VERSE TO CHORUS TO BRIDGE TO LEAD TO VERSE TO
CHORUS TO OUTRO.
HE'S A COOL DUDE AND WORTH CONSIDERATION. THE AVERAGE LISTENER MOST LIKELY WOULDN'T NOTICE ANY DISCREPANCY (SO WHAT!)
ACCOMPLISHED MUSICIANS LIKE US WOULD, AND DO. THE SONGS ARE LOSING THE FIRE, THE IMPACT AND THEIR SOPHISTICATION
(YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) IT'S KILLING ME...MY DIPLOMATIC SKILLS LACK FINESSE AND COMPROMISE TOLERANCE.
THE MUSIC MUST BE PLAYED CORRECTLY...IN TIME, EVERY TIME, ALL THE TIME! OR THE SONGS WILL LACK THEIR TRUE POTENTIAL AS
WELL AS BEING A HINDRANCE ON THE CAPABILITIES OF THE MORE MATURED MUSICIAN.
HOW SHOULD I APPROACH OUR DRUMMER ABOUT THIS SITUATION AND GET HIM TO JOIN US WITH UNDERSTANDING TOWARDS OUR MUSICAL GOALS?
I HAVE SPILLED MY GUTS, AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO ANY AND ALL ADVICE MY FELLOW (PROFESSIONAL) MUSICIANS...THANKS!

........LIFE WOULD SUCK WITHOUT MUSIC...S. E. S L I C K..................

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
MY ADVICE IS TO TURN YOUR CAPS LOCK OFF SO EVERYTHING YOU TYPE ISN'T IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

MY NEXT ADVICE IS TO USE A FREAKING METRONOME AT PRACTICE SO THE TEMPO WON'T FLUCTUATE.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Show him this thread? Can't you just talk with him about your concerns?
HE has to be the one who wants to improve. That has to happen first.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
HELLO FELLOW MUSICIANS,

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR ADVISE AND KNOWLEDGE, IT SUPPORTS MY BELIEF AS WELL...BUT, I'M A GUITAR PLAYER IN A 3 PIECE,
HEAVY, ROCK, ORIGINAL, PWR TRIO BAND, WE ALL ENJOY JAMMING AND GIGGING TOGETHER AND WRITING SONGS AS WELL. WE ARE ALL
COMFORTABLE AND COMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER. UNFORTUNATELY AS TIME HAS GONE BY OUR DRUMMER HAS GOTTEN TOO COMFORTABLE WITH
PLAYING OUR SONGS "HIS WAY, HIS TIMING." THE SONGS HAVE DRIFTED AWAY FROM THEIR ORIGINAL TEMPO, FEEL
AND GROOVE. ME AND MY BASS PLAYER/SINGER BOTH HAVE THE SAME CONCERNS. HIS BEATS, HIS LICKS, ROLLS, KIT, CREATIVITY AND
PERSONALITY ARE NOT AN ISSUE. OBLIVIOUS FLUCTUATION IS...FROM INTRO TO VERSE TO CHORUS TO BRIDGE TO LEAD TO VERSE TO
CHORUS TO OUTRO.
HE'S A COOL DUDE AND WORTH CONSIDERATION. THE AVERAGE LISTENER MOST LIKELY WOULDN'T NOTICE ANY DISCREPANCY (SO WHAT!)
ACCOMPLISHED MUSICIANS LIKE US WOULD, AND DO. THE SONGS ARE LOSING THE FIRE, THE IMPACT AND THEIR SOPHISTICATION
(YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) IT'S KILLING ME...MY DIPLOMATIC SKILLS LACK FINESSE AND COMPROMISE TOLERANCE.
THE MUSIC MUST BE PLAYED CORRECTLY...IN TIME, EVERY TIME, ALL THE TIME! OR THE SONGS WILL LACK THEIR TRUE POTENTIAL AS
WELL AS BEING A HINDRANCE ON THE CAPABILITIES OF THE MORE MATURED MUSICIAN.
HOW SHOULD I APPROACH OUR DRUMMER ABOUT THIS SITUATION AND GET HIM TO JOIN US WITH UNDERSTANDING TOWARDS OUR MUSICAL GOALS?
I HAVE SPILLED MY GUTS, AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO ANY AND ALL ADVICE MY FELLOW (PROFESSIONAL) MUSICIANS...THANKS!

........LIFE WOULD SUCK WITHOUT MUSIC...S. E. S L I C K..................
Are you refering to time or tempo?With either one,its ok to let it breathe a little.If your obsessed with Keeping metronomic time,thats one thing,but I for one don't believe in playing live performance with a metronome,unless there are taped tracks involved as well,and used in a live situation.

Is your problem with the groove or his fills?Do you think the tempo drags,or maybe wanders,or maybe its too fast.?

An example of what you're talking about would help.

Steve B

ddrumman2004

You joined this forum to complain about your drummer's timing?

If I had a problem with timing in our band, I would hope they would come to me and discuss it and not on a public forum.

I agree with larryace on this.....talk to him.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

7/16ths of an inch between coherence and stupidity. It is remarkable.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Duncan, give the guy a break, I mean he plays guitar for Pete's sake.

JK Mr. Slick, but you just walked into a lions den lol. Now we get to have our way with you, since you're on our turf now Muuu Haa Haaa!

Sorry, I just had that built up inside me lol.

Your drummer will most likely fall into 1 of 2 types, either the type of person who is positive, and can listen, and is secure enough to face inconsistencies in his playing, or, he will get defensive.

If he gets defensive, I got nothin, it depends on the dynamic.

But if he's a malleable type of drummer, make sure you tell him exactly what he is doing that's off, and make sure you tell him exactly what you want him to do. Any suggestions are welcome, like for instance, "I notice you tense up", or any observations that will give your guy a hint. If you have a recording of him drumming poorly, play it for him. If you don't have a recording, get one. That should open his eyes. I would recommend that straight away. Recordings are like forensic evidence, they tell the story.

It really comes down to your guys personality, how he handles such things.
I have to give you credit though for trying to help him. It must drive you bananas. Keeping great tempo and meter...you really gotta be disciplined. He may be having "too much fun" and is neglecting his primary responsibility.

If you don't like what he is playing...that's sticky. Like if he is getting too fancy, too many notes...that's like a drummers disease. They think they are boring if they don't try and be fancy. Some people just have to complicate drum parts, where space is needed. I don't know how to get a person to change that radically, either you have the ability to leave your ego out of the music, or you don't. Not to say he can't do it ever, but it has to come from a realization within. (that's where the recording can help you out)

If he is they type to "go off in his own world", bring that right to his attention and try and break that habit. Everyone needs to be connected, especially the drummer.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Duncan, give the guy a break, I mean he plays guitar for Pete's sake.
By that warrant you need to give me a break!

Oh wait. You guys generally do.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Tell him what you like about his playing style and then end it with "but you ain't no Phil Rudd". Then he will say, "Phil Rudd? Isn't that the original drummer for AC/DC?" And you can say, "not only that, but the most solid meter in rock n' roll". Then he will say, "well, what do you mean?". Then you can lay it out for him but be nice about it. You know how hard it can be to find a good drummer.