Drummer Sweat

The nice thing about original rock bands is you can get away with shorts and something sleeveless.

Although I've done the 4 sets where you have to look nice, but those gigs were always so less intense, so I can't say I sweated as much. I don't know how people play drums in a tux; I never ended up going that route.

Count me in the sweaty club, sadly. I use a fan and that helps, but I still sweat. I've been known to drink 4 20oz bottles of water during a 5 hr gig and I'm still thirsty.

Just for giggles, I once weighed directly before and after a gig. On that occasion, I lost over three pounds. About 8 lbs to a gallon, so nearly a half gallon of sweat, I'd guess.

I'm loath to admit it, but since others mentioned their man-boobs, etc, I will say that the part that embarrasses me the most is that my rear sweats like crazy on my nice comfy Roc-n-Soc. Sometimes it looks like I've peed myself and I'm just mortified. I've become very careful about wearing pants that don't show the sweat much.

And now that EVERYONE feels ill, I'll sign off...

Last edited:
... I once weighed directly before and after a gig. On that occasion, I lost over three pounds.

Noted ...

I'd love to shed a few kilos but ...

I could never go back to the mayhem of it all - the volume, the exhaustion, flashing lights, general sense of chaos. It was amazing fun at the time but ... man, I love playing fogey music :)

I always sweat at least a little when I move drum gear, no matter what the temperature. A fan works wonders; I use one even at church. It is the only thing in the church drum set that belongs to me. Peace and goodwill.

I sweat alot, when i get up in the morning, i take a new t-shirt on. When i get home from school i take a new one again. It is totally soaked.
I was once told that if you were really nervous about something you might aswell start to sweat alot - I do, before gigs... Also on stage. But on stage breathing is quite a big problem, atleast bigger than looking awful, because im usually covered in smoke, making breathing a hard problem - but it keeps my looking awful... since i am not even visible!
Invisible drummer......

I'm pretty intense when I perform, so understandably, I sweat like crazy. Like, to the point where I performed in gym shorts, tank tops, and sweat bands. Wearing that cut back on my excessive sweating, although recently my band had a stylist come in, and now I have to wear button up shirts, black pants, and suspenders when I perform, as well as gittin' ma hurr did, so I'm starting to sweat more again. I'm constantly jumping up and down while performing, standing up, spinning sticks, and just causing general mayhem behind the kit.

When I perform with my jazz trio, I'm far more laid back, although when I solo, I get really into my performances and I often break out into a light sweat when performing. My sweat is pretty normal, it's relative to what I'm wearing, where I'm performing, and how intensely I play. I'm also a pretty small guy and I work out a lot, so I guess my sweat isn't nearly as bad as it could be.

When we practice in the studio/ garage, once I get behind the drum kit I instantly take off my shirt. My bandmates ask why, and I just reply with "no point in ruining a shirt". But I sweat a lot in general too. It's strange because i'm very young, fit and thin. So it can't really be that I'm not looking over myself...

The funny thing is, on a 90 degree day, after packing in all the PA equipment, several totes, mixer/rack gear, amps etc, then setup, i barely sweat at all. As soon as the tunes begin rolling out, the flood gates open! It just doesn't make sense.

Ha! There you go, I knew it! .... Drumming sweat is different than regular sweat.

At least some drumming sweat is different. Stress sweat in a way. PacifRick's post illustrated it perfect. It's mentally derived sweat IMO.

How much salt do you ingest? Either on purpose or unknowingly?

Noted ...

I'd love to shed a few kilos but ...

I could never go back to the mayhem of it all - the volume, the exhaustion, flashing lights, general sense of chaos. It was amazing fun at the time but ... man, I love playing fogey music :)

I like all of it except the exhaustion!

As for the weight, as soon as I'm fully hydrated again, it's back. Short term weight loss from the sweat, but playing long and hard does seem to have some exercise benefits.

I'm pretty intemperate when I fulfill, so understandably, I condensation similar unhinged. Equivalent, to the inform where I performed in gym shorts, containerful tops, and perspire bands. Wearing that cut play on my inordinate wet, though lately my strip had a stylist grow in, and now I individual to deteriorate button up shirts, unfortunate knickers, and suspenders when I accomplish, as rise as gittin' ma hurr did, so I'm turn to sudate statesman again. I'm constantly jumping up and land time performing, unfelled up, spinning sticks, and righteous causing generic

GOOGLE TRANSLATE DOES NOT WORK

I'm pretty intemperate when I fulfill, so understandably, I condensation similar unhinged. Equivalent, to the inform where I performed in gym shorts, containerful tops, and perspire bands. Wearing that cut play on my inordinate wet, though lately my strip had a stylist grow in, and now I individual to deteriorate button up shirts, unfortunate knickers, and suspenders when I accomplish, as rise as gittin' ma hurr did, so I'm turn to sudate statesman again. I'm constantly jumping up and land time performing, unfelled up, spinning sticks, and righteous causing generic

Im inspired to compose a song with these words! : )

doglo, please try again.. the translation isnt working. I got the gym shorts bit .. not sure i want to know about the unfortunate kinickers, though...

I carry a small fan with me to gigs, especially during the summer, which I set up behind me and have on while I'm playing.

I used a similar fan at last week's gig, and it made a HUGE difference. Not only did I not sweat as much, but it helped keep my energy level up. I do end up toweling off between songs when I can.

If you go with a sweat band, you can look like Mark Knofler from Dire Straits circa 1985.

BTW - the night before our gig I went to a nearby bar that had karaoke, and sang a few songs. The guy who ran the karaoke was soaked in sweat from lugging his equipment in from the parking lot. He really should have brought a spare shirt, because he looked disgusting. I always bring at least one spare shirt for that purpose.

I'm one of those drummers who sweat profusely even after just a few minites into the gig. I need to use a fan to keep cool. Drinking plenty of water helps but I find also taking Hammer gel helps a lot. It provides necessary carbs and electrolytes to replenish your energy level as well as reducing the amount of sweat.
I think though that since I am overweight, that this causes me to sweat a lot more than usual.
I'm going to try to lose weight and be more fit and see if this reduces sweating.

I've noted a lot of drummers on Youtube, and elsewhere who appear to play difficult or complex drum parts with extraordinary relaxation.
What concerns me is that I tend to strain a lot while playing fast tunes. I'm wondering if perhaps I don't have the sufficient technique to play fast while remaining relaxed and this causes me to play in a strained frenetic fashion, and thus causes me to sweat more.

I'm wondering if perhaps I don't have the sufficient technique to play fast while remaining relaxed and this causes me to play in a strained frenetic fashion, and thus causes me to sweat more.

Lack of technique could make any gig a real workout too, fast or not I guess. Lack of balance on your seat, too much arms and shoulders in your strokes, pedals in awkward positions etc...

Theres a pretty funny video out there of Bill Cosby talking about playing a really fast tune without adequate technique... hilarious

.. oh wait, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zn-P0ZH3_M

Back