drummer sues to keep his place in the band

opentune

Platinum Member
Lots of talk sometimes about hired guns, but this story sort of shows the lack of loyalty even in some established bands. Can you imagine having to pay for your replacement? Personally, I never cared for the members of Aerosmith but this shows them in a new (dim) light. So much for a 'band of brothers'.

Since Aerosmith is kind of a lame band I'm going to be an insensitive jerk for a moment. For the sake of humor of course.
They are one of the examples of how they would/could have become legendary if one of their members died around 1978 to have prevented the horror of "music" that happened after. :)

Ive read his autobiography and he's always had a tempestuous working relationship with the band (Steven Tyler especially)

I'd say sucks to be him but he's made an awful lot of money, you almost think what's the point in putting up with it anymore.

Could be just about ensuring he keeps a stake in his band investments by being a band member, who knows!

I'd say sucks to be him but he's made an awful lot of money, you almost think what's the point in putting up with it anymore.

It's got to be the accolades from fans that keeps these guys going. In addition, for some people, all the money in the world would never be enough.

I was thinking that there's no way these guys will have any sort of relationship after this, but who knows...they may not have had any sort of relationship for a decade or two.

Everyone (except the drummer) makes more money by chasing him out.

Simple business decision. This is the world we live in.

Everyone (except the drummer) makes more money by chasing him out.

Simple business decision. This is the world we live in.
Yes true, was one of the outcomes for example with the Black Crowes.
Look, Aerosmith are a total legacy act, doing Vegas. Their days are numbered and so every person in that band is looking to make their final pot of money. And they no doubt are all used to an expensive lifestyle nurtured over the years.
The real point is the differential treatment. No replacements or band removal for Joe Perry when he had an heart attack (I'm sure 1000 guitarists could play his parts). But if the drummer is unhealthy?...Sure just get another in here for 10% the cost.

I was bummed when Black Sabbath fired Bill Ward, but I’m not crying over this tiff.

This was on TMZ yesterday. While I don't care for TMZ, my wife does so apparently I do as well. Anyhow, they said something along the lines of Joey isn't suing the individual members of Aerosmith, yet the bodies each individual represents. Whatever that means.

Even if he sues and wins, that's lame. Nothing good can come out of it. It would be like me suing my wife because I don't wanna watch TMZ anymore. I might win, but I'd also be wifeless. Pointless.

This seems very similar in a way to what happened with Dave Lombardo and Slayer.

Can't help but think if you have 50 years worth of albums and touring under your belt with a band and have ended up with more money than you ever dreamed of, why not enjoy your retirement and watch the money come in.

I know nobody buys music anymore so royalty payments are shrinking and all the money is in touring but all these guys are loaded.

It's all quite funny to be honest!

This was on TMZ yesterday. While I don't care for TMZ, my wife does so apparently I do as well. Anyhow, they said something along the lines of Joey isn't suing the individual members of Aerosmith, yet the bodies each individual represents. Whatever that means.

Even if he sues and wins, that's lame. Nothing good can come out of it. It would be like me suing my wife because I don't wanna watch TMZ anymore. I might win, but I'd also be wifeless. Pointless.

This seems very similar in a way to what happened with Dave Lombardo and Slayer.

I thought Lombardo was always a hired gun technically. I didn't think he had an equity stake in Slayer as Kramer does w/ Aerosmith (as I understand it).

While I understand the sentiment of "retire and enjoy your money," I also understand his wanting to be play those two events of recognition. And if that were to be it for his touring days, then so be it.

But yeah, there are more layers and minutia to this that we don't know.

In hindsight, it always comes down to the what kind of contract (LLC., LLP., etc) was created and how it defines the “band”, and provides for contingencies within that entity. Somehow drummers & bassists get the shaft way more than other positions. In Van Halen, c.1982, the brothers & Roth “voted” (without Anthony present) to cut Anthony out of all royalties. He was only paid to record & gig after that (source).

Back