Drummer Learns Bass - a lockdown identity crisis ;)

Caz

Hi everyone, hope you are all doing ok with the current circumstances around the world. I've been finding it a bit harder to practice drums recently with pretty much all gigs for the foreseeable future being cancelled. Last June I was given a Fender Precision bass for a gift and started learning some covers for fun, although recently as things have become increasingly more weird I've just jumped right into learning this new instrument. So I hope it's ok to post a bass tune, this is Michael Brecker sounding incredible as a featured soloist with Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. It took a lot of time to learn but it's nice to have little things to focus on just now. I have started a playlist to show my progress from last year, learning some pop tunes and some jazzier tunes Drummer Learns Bass youtube playlist

On the drums front, below is a drum video below of my big band playing a Mike Tomaro arrangement of Blackbird by the Beatles, it's a remote recording - fun but isn't the same as all playing together in person.

I've been following your progress on bass from the start, & of course, your drumming adventures too. You continue to inspire, & your progress on bass is a real joy to see :)

Thank you Andy and No Way Jose for your kind and supportive comments. Couldn't have imagined it when starting this thread - but 8 months later and we're still in lockdown.. I'm still fending off insanity by learning more tunes on bass, so I hope it's ok to post a couple more here. I'll get back to the drums soon - it's just not the same without being able to play with other people.

Daft Punk - Around The World

Bob Marley - Is This Love

and just for good measure here's a lockdown video with a proper bass player where I'm on the V-drums..

I'm also posting a bunch of stuff on Instagram @carolinescott_music if anyone's hanging out there come say hello.

Back