Drummer at the right gig?

MikeM

Platinum Member
This one's for KIS (hehe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzv9dipyDsU&feature=related

What's the main difference between this guy and the guy in the yellow jacket? They're both playing covers (essentially), both wrapped up in visual athleticism / theatrics while maintaining a steady beat.

I'm surprised this guy hasn't had as much attention around these parts - except that at least he's at the right gig!

Here's his spectacular finale... (not for queasy cymbal enthusiasts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diEK8FyQ__c&NR=1

ha - I just posted this video a few hours ago, and was told that it had been posted 10 times before that....

ha - I just posted this video a few hours ago, and was told that it had been posted 10 times before that....
OH! My bad.

Edit: I wasn't posting the guy in the yellow jacket: that one has been posted at least 10 times and debated endlessly. This guy is Zoltan Chaney who plays for Vince Neil using a similar shtick.

Last edited:
Purely idiotic. total waste and has nothing to do with music and yet people are praising this foolishness.

I hope he pays for his own gear. There are plenty of public school music departments that would love to have those instruments that he is trashing in the second video clip. In fact, there are many people on drummerworld that can't afford to buy what he is trashing. Such a shame.
I'm sure that someone's paying for his gear (team Vince if I had to guess), and that it's part of the expense of the tour. I'm sure Sabian (or whoever's cymbals those are) doesn't mind at all since they're selling that guy a lot of cymbals. Plus, with the exposure, they're probably selling even more.

And let's face it, if he weren't smashing his cymbals, the kids in the schools or on this board wouldn't ever get to use them anyway, so that point is moot. For all we know, they could all be getting sent back to the factory for recasting.

Purely idiotic. total waste and has nothing to do with music and yet people are praising this foolishness.
It's not part of the music, but it is a part of the presentation of that music. That what people are paying for - to be entertained. These idiots (including me) think it's entertaining. I admit it, I crack up laughing every time I see this hooligan getting the purists all mad! It's like: Relax already - nobody's getting killed over here!

Again, the people paying for this gear and the people selling the gear are totally fine with it, to say nothing of that fans who eat that stuff up and keep paying for tickets. I really don't see where the losers are in this, quite honestly.

The thing where he hits the hi hat behind his back while standing up was really cool. I dont care if he breaks shit, its just awesome haha.

Its definitely bringing a new level of showmanship to the band, and probably gets a lot of the people who are on the fence about going to see the band out to a show "Just to see the crazy ass drummer!"

So if nothign else, i bet it serves as a financial plus for the band :)

I'm sure that someone's paying for his gear (team Vince if I had to guess), and that it's part of the expense of the tour. I'm sure Sabian (or whoever's cymbals those are) doesn't mind at all since they're selling that guy a lot of cymbals. Plus, with the exposure, they're probably selling even more.

And let's face it, if he weren't smashing his cymbals, the kids in the schools or on this board wouldn't ever get to use them anyway, so that point is moot. For all we know, they could all be getting sent back to the factory for recasting.

It's not part of the music, but it is a part of the presentation of that music. That what people are paying for - to be entertained. These idiots (including me) think it's entertaining. I admit it, I crack up laughing every time I see this hooligan getting the purists all mad! It's like: Relax already - nobody's getting killed over here!

Again, the people paying for this gear and the people selling the gear are totally fine with it, to say nothing of that fans who eat that stuff up and keep paying for tickets. I really don't see where the losers are in this, quite honestly.

To me it's no more entertaining than watching someone who could afford it, run their car into a brick wall just because someone else thought it was cool. I'll bet Sabian, or whomever, really could care less about having their brand associated with this ridiculous display. Imagine the liability of a cymbal flying into the audience and striking a concert goer. It would lose its cool real fast.

Now if he were to donate his set after each gig instead of smashing it, that would be truly worthy of discussion.

Jeff

To me it's no more entertaining than watching someone who could afford it, run their car into a brick wall just because someone else thought it was cool. I'll bet Sabian, or whomever, really could care less about having their brand associated with this ridiculous display. Imagine the liability of a cymbal flying into the audience and striking a concert goer. It would lose its cool real fast.
With all due respect, it's worth pointing out that it's you that thinks it's ridiculous, foolish, and doesn't think it's cool or entertaining. But, you're not the target audience either. Nor am I for that matter, though I admit to laughing at the absurdity and entertainment of it. I don't like Vince Neil or Motley Crue, but I've never been reluctant to admit that I've liked the drumming of Tommy Lee and Zoltan Chaney. Whatever may be going on with the music and the marketing, they're really good at what they're doing... what can you do?

I'm no lawyer, but I'll wager that the liability would rest squarely on Team Vince.

Now if he were to donate his set after each gig instead of smashing it, that would be truly worthy of discussion.
It's apparently worthy of discussion as it is.

this +100000000000000

never quite figured out why some people seem to enjoy seeing things getting thrashed, besides the fact that there are a ton of people around that could make good use of them, it seems also a complete lack of respect for the people who actually built them in the first place...

How would you feel if you were a cymbal maker by trade and after slaving for hours on a cymbal to make it as good as you can somebody buys it and breaks it for "fun"?

At the end of the day, it's his gear and he can do as he pleases with it. It doesn't offend me, but even as a kid my first thought was.....man, what a bloody tragedy to smash all those lovely intsruments.....give 'em to me instead.

My only gripe with it is that it's so old now and has absolutely been done to death. If I was around when Moon the loon first did it circa mid 60's, I guess I'd have probably be on board as far as claiming entertainment goes..........fast forward to 2011, a million smashed kits later and countless guys "entertaining" us by way of trashing the stage, it just seems so tired, cliched and 'been-there-done-that' to me.

Personally I get more entertainment value out of watching a Get Smart re-run for the umpteenth time. Trashing the stage may get old in my opinion.....but watching Max fall over again, never seems to :)

I will avoid the "entertaining or not" debate. But I will bet that those cymbals are up on those same stands next to that same drum kit the next night.

Cymbals are pretty durable and can take a pretty good trashing. I am sure he breaks more cymbals than most, and his kit looks like it was drug from gig to gig, but the audience would never see that. Nothing, save for a few stands, looked like it got beaten beyond repair.

Actually, one of the best examples of this is the chase sequence in the Blues Brothers. Myself and many others found that hugely entertaining. But each to his own.

LOLOLOLOL! Oh, that is drum ass-hattery at its best but MAN oh man it has a ton of entertainment value.

I am a big Crue fan and Neil fan, but I wouldn't care if that guy drummed for anyone else, that performance is chock FULL of win. I know, I know, he's mindlessly thrashing equipment and he's not the first to do so, but for the same reason we slow down a tad at a bad accident to see if there's blood, those antics on the drum set never get old. I mean, really, the old “any press is good press” bit is working like a gold brick here. Look at us all, talking about it and dropping his name for the google bots. It's good stuff, and it's his shtick. I say let him run with it. He's obviously a great drummer on top of it all, or he wouldn't be touring with Vince Neil. :)

That guy rocks. :p

At least the audio in the video of our yellow jacketed friend was listenable.

Dennis

I've seen Zoltan's clips before. He has wonderful physical coordination. Actually, I find his macho comedy acrobat show pretty hot in an idiot Neanderthal kinda way - lol. Embarassing but if I'm honest I have to admit that Zoltan appeals to my hindbrain (or somewhere lower) ... despite the 10,000 red flags coming from my cerebral cortex :)

Fair enough that he use his aptitudes to follow in Moonie's destructo tradition. Hormone charged teen boys (and a few desperate old maids) get off on that kind of thing. However, the music of the original destroyers - The Who and Jimi - was outstanding whereas ZC's act is just a cheap imitation. The music is merely competent and creativity negligible (apart from acrobatics ideas).

Like others here, I wince at the wastefulness but monster kit owners and major equipment collectors probably chew up more natural resources than ZC does - it doesn't much matter whether the gear is beaten up on stage or barely used. It still has to be manufactured and it's still under-utilised.

Here's a listenable clip if you can cope with hoary old standards performed with far less class than the originals. At least it's not distorted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKOWRo2bugI

Back