drumheads for lower volume and tone (no mesh please)

john352050

Just getting back into playing after a loooong break.
I'm trying to find (if possible) a set of drum heads that is NOT mesh, that would produce a lower overall volume....I have the Remo Silent Stroke heads now, which are awesome, and I know theres a few tricks to increase the volume...but looking for some regular style heads that might have a lower volume and/or lower tone, something with a deeper sound.
Looking for recommendations for a good set of drum heads....but unsure on which to go with for my goals...1ply? 2ply? Coated? Clear? Ive done a bunch of searching around but my hearing makes this a little problematic

I have severe hearing loss, and wear hearing aids, but looking for heads that have better feel compared to Silent Strokes.
Another thing, I think most of my 'highs' were affected from sound/noise damage, so my hearing aids are set to increase the higher pitched stuff....I notice that with my hearing aids in, turned down to the lowest setting, the bass drum sounds fine, but stuff like crash cymbals and ESPECIALLY the hi hat, cuts through like crazy, almost painfully loud.

Just really want a good set that are not mesh. Thanks for any recommendations!

Ruok

Silver Member
I believe what you are looking for are Evans Hydraulic heads.

The Hydraulics are two ply with oil in-between the plies. They come in clear or various colors as well.

john352050

I believe what you are looking for are Evans Hydraulic heads.

The Hydraulics are two ply with oil in-between the plies. They come in clear or various colors as well.
So those just have a nice deep sound without much highs? Only thing im worried about is, wont the oil kinda separate over time and have a splotchy effect? Don't care about the look, but wont that effect the sound and tone if it does separate and move around?

You would think there would be specific heads made for things like small venue's or church bands that dont want to produce a large amount of sound/volume...I know lower overall volume of kit can be achieved my just simply playing softer, or things like Maple sticks, etc.
But maybe these hydraulic heads are what they use
....Ill definitely look into them.
Much appreciated!

*On a side note, I ordered a 'Big Fat Snare XL' donut ring, seems like some say that all it does is change the tone while others say it will also lower the overall volume of a snare....Since my aim is to control volume a bit, think the Big Fat XL will help tone down my snare?

Ruok

Silver Member
I've never heard of any problems with hydraulics over time. I suppose it is possible. But they are supposed to be very durable.

You are right, there are some church kits that use hydraulics. I actually subscribe to a Youtube channel where the church drummer uses Hydraulics exclusively, even on the snare. Sounds good to me.

I own one of those Big Fat Snare things. The one I bought covers the head completely, so you hardly get any rebound. It is only good just for a low thuddy backbeat, without ghost notes. But I think the ones that have the hole in the middle ("donut ring" that you mentioned) will allow for easier ghost notes since you still have access to hit the batter head itself.

I should add that the Big Fat Snare doesn't necessarily get rid of all the highs. It definitely broadens the sounds by adding more lows, but keeps some highs too. You know, I'm not really sure that it lowers the volume. I think it does to a degree. I have hardly used mine. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

Last edited:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Hydraulics cut all of the high tones present in most other heads, and that lack of highs translates as sounding quieter. They also don't project well (again, because of the loss of highs) so they sound quieter both at the throne and to an audience.

They're my go-to when I need to cut my volume without drastically altering technique. Based on your situation and desired effect I think they're your best bet.

john352050

Hydraulics cut all of the high tones present in most other heads, and that lack of highs translates as sounding quieter. They also don't project well (again, because of the loss of highs) so they sound quieter both at the throne and to an audience.

They're my go-to when I need to cut my volume without drastically altering technique. Based on your situation and desired effect I think they're your best bet.
Awesome! Yeah sounds like they will be perfect for me then...My kit is setup in a small bedroom.
Thanks!!!

john352050

The hydraulics are made of glass? Found them on sweetwater, a tom pack, and it says "Evans Hydraulic Glass"....are those the right ones?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Actually, Hydraulics function and sound just like regular drumheads. The two-ply, oil-in-between thing doesn't really cut volume. I would try the Remo coated PowerStroke 4 heads - double-ply, and coated, which helps to cut down attack, but you get a nice round note when tuned properly. So you get this nice full phat sound without extreme attack or highs. But unfortunately, everything but mesh heads will be loud. If you adjust your technique to just play quietly on regular heads, I think would be easier than trying to find something to make you sound softer.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Just getting back into playing after a loooong break.
I'm trying to find (if possible) a set of drum heads that is NOT mesh, that would produce a lower overall volume....I have the Remo Silent Stroke heads now, which are awesome, and I know theres a few tricks to increase the volume...but looking for some regular style heads that might have a lower volume and/or lower tone, something with a deeper sound.
Hi there,

This is a frequent question. There isn't really a product on the market that will do what you want. My recommendation is to try:

1: Lighter sticks, like a 7A
2: A set of automotive (inexpensive) terrycloth towels.
3: Playing quieter.

john352050

Ended up ordering some Evans Hydraulics (10/12/16)....after watching some video reviews, they def have the sound I'm looking for, not much highs etc...of course they wont dampen overall volume (after reading some of yalls replies on this topic). So I ended up just trying to find some with deeper tones, hopefully these will do nicely. As far as volume goes...ended up getting some 3M 31db rated muffs, wear those over my hearing aids that can stream music to jam along too...play as loud as I want, making sure to piss off the neighbors!
Also experimenting with the "Big Fat Snare XL"...I have mesh heads on right now, so the overall sound is interesting, very tight tone.

Thanks for everyones replies and recommendations!