Drumeo Timing Challenge

Seafroggys

Silver Member
If anybody didn't know, Drumeo posted a challenge a week or two ago where you play along to a click track, but every 8 measures the click does something different, switching to counting off beats, to dropping out for measures at a time. I don't think the off beat part is terribly useful as an applicable skill, but it was still neat to navigate. But dropping out is definitely a good technique to practice. Anyway, I recorded my take at 70 bpm last night, here you guys go.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Great job. Interesting idea-I like the change ups-it would get boring otherwise. So they just have a click going that changes up during the 6 or so minutes. You can play anything-so any kind of subdivisions within the click?

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Yep, whatever you want. They have different tempo maps between 60 bpm and 100 bpm. The video description of the original video has all the downloads. I'm probably gonna try the 90 bpm one next weekend.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
This would make a fun thread for everyone to make, perhaps shorter-like 2-3 minutes, videos trying their hand at it. I think I'd do okay with faster tempos-the slow stuff it what often kills me. So it's what I need to do. I post first takes (or within 3) all the time-so I hope that gives me some help doing this off the cuff stuff. I've been working on that a lot of late-find a drumless track and just wing it and see how I do. Some are Ok others I wonder around till I finally find the groove. You have to really listen to the music-which is a click in this instance-and within a few seconds get back on track to recover. I bet the faster tempos change ups could be difficult with so lil time to respond. I'm going to check it out. Thanks Seafroggys.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Well I wouldn't want to hijack this thread-I'm not sure why I say that I do that daily??? But it would make a cool thread-you did a great job-great timing. You can bet I'm going to give it a try this week. Those timing test of past posted on here have been deceptively wicked-so I expect as much from this LOL.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
And decided to do 90 bpm. Man, this one was noticeably worse. The groove was better, but I rushed it in several places, and even completely lost the click for about 3 seconds at one point. These are definitely invaluable teaching tools.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
You know Seafroggy I watched the Drumeo promo where the chubby dude with glasses tried then the blonde headed fella played and then him encouraging us to try it and post “first take”. Well I call bullshit that was his first take. I tried one tempo- I wish they would just suddenly change the metronome rather the intermediate metronome phase I guess warning you it’s going to change ? WTH was that I just got confused and shifted every change

DrumWhipper

Good stuff! That dropping out thing can be serious. I have a friend who had that happen to him mid-show. The poor guy was so reliant on the click that he ended up freezing up when it dropped out. I feel that it is vitally important to be able to play with and without the click all at the same time!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Time is either on your side or it waits for no one. So that clears up all that.