Drumeo Or Mikes lessons?

Diegorod

I want To sign up for an online drum lesson site and i narrowed down 2 options, Drumeo edge or Mikes Lessons. The price doesn't really matter, I'm pretty sure neither are more than $30 a month, any opinions?

If price doesn't really matter, then just go see a freaking drum teacher. I bet it will be a much better value in the end... Exception being maybe you live on an oil rig?

He probably returned only to find out no one really answered his question. Hey! I don't have an answer either. I've gotten the vibe that Drumeo is not highly thought of around here, I don't know one way or the other. I have seen famous drummers, and teachers advertising on line lessons. One that comes to mind is Gregg Bissonette. I think Dom Famularo is doing this now too. Maybe some people who know more about it will chime in. I think a real life instructor is best though.

I'd go with the person who left me with the strongest impression of being able to relate to ME, personally. That they'd engage me on a level that would have me lining straight back up for more. The one who I thought would best communicate with ME on MY level.

In my case, out of the two you've named, that'd be Mike Johnson. No brainer. Not because I don't like the other guy, but because I know his method of communication gels best with me. I relate to him and I understand what he means and where he's coming from. He's the teacher that could get the best out of me.

Which one of those guys make YOU feel the same way? There's your answer. Book him up.

Go with the one who's drumming most inspires you. Thats what you would look for in a private teacher so go with that.

Personally I'm not a fan of drumeo. Nothing wrong with the content and the free guest lessons they get in are great. But to me it feels like they are in the business to make money. It is always a sales pitch, always the upsell. Mikes Lessons feels more genuine.

For example I haven't seen a single Mikes Lesson advert on facebook or google but my timeline and search result always have a drumeo advert - de stupify your hands, get fast quick etc.

That stuff doesn't sit well with me.

I was a member of Mikes Lessons for a couple of months and stopped because (and I hope this doesn't sound too up myself) the advanced lessons weren't advanced enough. When the PDF went up about 30 mins before the lesson I could play most of the stuff off the bat. But I had been playing for 12 years at that point. I now just buy the odd one off lesson and they are great,

Someone who is a beginner/intermediate player would get loads of great stuff from that.

If money isn't an option why not get skype lesson in conjunction with MikesLessons/Drumeo?

Hope i helped

Neither, but definitely not Drumeo. Either save your money for real lessons-- if you can spend even ~$60/month instead of 30, you might be able to find a talented student to teach you-- or make friends with some drummers and see what you can pick up for free, if you really can't afford more than that. I think any money you spend on those sites is money wasted, honestly.

Mike Johnston is an exemplar of goodwill and a positive force in the community.

Drumeo does infomercials that wouldn't look out of place on IFC.

I do think you would be better served with an actual, physical lesson teacher, but Mike is almost unequivocally who I'd choose between these two.

If I had the option I'd choose neither and go for face to face tuition.

I have no experience of Mikes tuition but Drumeo to me is very intimidating. What I cannot stand is some of the guests lessons. Ill give Thomas Pridgen as an example. These world class drummers dont seem to go out of their way to break things down so its relatable to a beginner or intermediate player.

Calling 5/7/9 grouped rolls 'easy' is not very comforting as to me they are not easy at all. To a world class drummer yes they would be, but I am not a world class drummer. The only ones that I've felt comfortable with are Flo Mounier and Sonny Emory. The others I've watched just go mental, get drooled over by Jared or whoever else presents the lesson and then say everything is easy when its not.

If I had the option I'd choose neither and go for face to face tuition.

I have no experience of Mikes tuition but Drumeo to me is very intimidating. What I cannot stand is some of the guests lessons. Ill give Thomas Pridgen as an example. These world class drummers dont seem to go out of their way to break things down so its relatable to a beginner or intermediate player.

Calling 5/7/9 grouped rolls 'easy' is not very comforting as to me they are not easy at all. To a world class drummer yes they would be, but I am not a world class drummer. The only ones that I've felt comfortable with are Flo Mounier and Sonny Emory. The others I've watched just go mental, get drooled over by Jared or whoever else presents the lesson and then say everything is easy when its not.

I'm with you man. I posted the Thomas Pridgen vid on my facebook page and said the exact same thing.

I actually dug what Thomas was saying but said I cant stand the Drumeo guys.

Jared tweeted me asking why and I explained that every one of these come across as fanboys and not interviewers or peers.

Obviously the guys they get in are totally world class (the sonny emory one was awesome...what a player he is) but there is no need to be a giddy school girl when they play and blow smoke up there ass ALL lesson.

I would also say that the thing about those guys saying it's easy is because a lot of them aren't teachers/clinicians and so they haven't got a grasp of how to break things down.

The gospel guys know their stuff and know what they play but they have worked on their thing for so long and never taught it that they can't remember what it was like to begin with...hence 'oh yeah you just practice it and its like easy and yeah....'

For you dude remember this.

Everyone is the same. EVERY drummer learns the same stuff and EVERYONE struggles with things at some point. 5 stroke roll, basic rock beat everyone has done those and come across the same issues you have.
Stick at it and you'll get it.

D

Everyone learns differently. Some can learn just by hearing, others by watching, and yet some can learn from a book. So with that said, I'd try the online stuff to see how well you pick things up. If they don't take the time to explain things well or have bad camera angles then maybe a one on one instructor is indeed what you need. Remember, just because a person calls themselves a 'drum teacher' doesn't make him a 'good one'! Remember your school days?
The major benefit to a personal instructor is indeed the immediate feed back they can provide. Making sure your technique is correct etc.
Regardless of what you decide, it has to work for YOU!
Good Luck

Neither. If that's all you have to spend on lessons, find a real teacher locally, and spend your entire $360 annual budget on 2-3 months of weekly lessons. Spend the rest of the year practicing, and seeing and meeting as many local drummers as possible. Maybe consider investing a little more money in your musical development, if it's important to you... WHOOPS, old thread, I already commented on this...

Many years ago (I've been here since 2004) there was a lot of controversy about Jared Falk ripping off an obscure instructional VHS by Johnny Rabb. I believe the whole issue nearly ended up in court. Falk copied the material verbatim and released under the 'Railroad Media' banner. A few people noticed it and Falk's reputation over here was very, very poor (and remains so amongst some of the old guard). It was a video on the 'one handed roll' if my memory serves.

Anyhow, a little while after this was all posted on here, Jared Falk set up an account and started posting. The issue was raised by a few posters (myself included) and Jared then recruited a load of his supporters to come over here and start shilling for him, defending his point of view. The fact that they'd all registered shortly after the issue was raised and within a day or so of each other said enough. Jared then went on a diatribe and, let's just say, made a few posts that further damaged his reputation.

So for a very long time, his name has been a rather dirty combination of words around here. I doubt many of those posters are still here but I remember it well.

Thousands of unimaginative drumeo/mikes lessons fanboys (who learn other peoples licks off a sheet and practice them repeatedly) will inevitably meet one day and realize that they're all a bit lame.

I would personally just get a teacher who can watch you and give you feedback (if you feel you need one) and if they don't keep you busy enough then just look at all the free resources floating around out there (there's almost too much).

I think this discussion has become too much Jared Falk-focused. Drumeo doesn't equal him. Drumeo has over 80 instructors and most of the courses are taught by people other than Jared.

And I can understand if you tried but do not like Drumeo (I've never used Mike's lessons). Learning online simply isn't for everyone. But as a matter of fact, 120,000+ people are using Drumeo and I can't imagine they are paying while not getting anything out of it.

If you want to see Drumeo from the inside first, check out my review (along with navigational guidance for the 1,000+ videos): http://www.kickstartyourdrumming.com/drumeo-review/

I hope that can help you make up your mind!

Many years ago when the "drumming system" was released Jard did a lot of heavy mailing and tons of typical fear based marketing, the method we all know to well, and if slightly evolved, just find anoying.

Drumeo is Jared's baby, but it's something completely different. It's a huge resource that has something for everybody. Lots of teachers, lots of courses, new lessons every day...

The drummers you see on their youtube vids usually make extra videos and instructional material available only to subscribers.

It's a humongous libarary and there's way too much for anyone to go through. You just choose what fits your interests. Not everything has the greatest educational value, but it's inspirational to get a bit of insight into so many drummers. Many people are famous, but those that are not are still mostly pros that apart from teaching drums talk about their own life and experiences in the business.

I haven't checked out Mike much, I only know I think he talks a bit too much about how hard stuff is. lol

These aren't the only resources, though.

Many of the forum members here give online lessons and there are quite a few big names, both performers and educatiors, that offer Skype lessons for a decent price.

Go to you favourite drummer's or dream teacher's web site and see. They might offer lessons.

Drumeo is Jared's baby, but it's something completely different. It's a huge resource that has something for everybody. Lots of teachers, lots of courses, new lessons every day...

I couldn't agree more, Odd-Arne!

It's a humongous libarary and there's way too much for anyone to go through

Yes, BUT Drumeo wrapped many of those videos into courses on particular topics. And that makes it much more structured and manageable than Youtube, I think.

Back