DRUMCENTER Sonor, Tama, DW ...The DCP Dream Drum Sets Showcase

Darth Vater

Very refreshing to see some high end gear being reviewed. I think anyone would be happy with any of the 3. I didn't really care for the wood choice of the Tama but I've heard their maple and walnut Star kits. They're killer. DW maple sounds really good. Sonor is well, Sonor. Tough to beat in my book.

IBitePrettyHard

That Sonor, wow. Not only the best sounding in the video, but one of the best sounding kits I've heard in a long time.

Shane seems to like ordering the majority of their SQ2s with Heavy shells though. They sound great for heavier hitters but I wonder if they'd be sensitive enough for softer playing. Typically you have to hit them harder for the toms to sing. Not everyone plays fortissimo all the time.

Darth Vater

Does DW or Tama offer different shell thicknesses? I'm not as familiar with their high end stuff as I am with Sonor.

DrummerJustLikeDad

Now they need to compare that heavy beech sq2 set to a vintage 80s Phonic set under the microphones.
That would be nice.

The trouble is, as much as they are utilized this way, and as much as I’m sure they’re pleased to present themselves this way, Drum Center of Portsmouth has no interest in building (EDIT: an online version of an) “historical/build construction-percussion archive for the ages”. That simply is NOT why they invest so much research, development and microphone placement into their presentations.

They do it to sell crap.

Last edited:

incrementalg

Gold Member
That would be nice.

The trouble is, as much as they are utilized this way, and as much as I’m sure they’re pleased to present themselves this way, Drum Center of Portsmouth has no interest in building a “historical/build construction-percussion archive for the ages”. That simply is NOT why they invest so much research, development and microphone placement into their presentations.

They do it to sell crap.
They actually do have a bit of an archive. There’s some sets there that aren’t for sale. But, drums take up a lot of space so it makes sense to use the space for selling as much as possible.