"Drum Wisdom" by Bob Moses

I just got my hands on a copy (should arrive today, I hope) and I've seen people mention it on DrummerWorld. If you have it (or have at least read it before), please post your thoughts/interpretations/etc. of it. I'll post my thoughts once I've read it through this weekend.

Carl

I just got my hands on a copy (should arrive today, I hope) and I've seen people mention it on DrummerWorld. If you have it (or have at least read it before), please post your thoughts/interpretations/etc. of it. I'll post my thoughts once I've read it through this weekend.

Carl

I've been trying to find a copy for years, where did you find one?

My father-in-law-to-be found it for me. Two days after I asked him if he could find it. I have no idea where or how, but I'm sure as heck not complaining.

That's a cool father-in-law-to-be! Let me how you like the book.

Anyone out there have a copy they want to let go?

Bought my copy directly in the mail from Modern Drummer some 30 years ago now. Out of print now but still an amazing book. Bob's description of organic drumming with the incuded artistic visual description examples is worth the price of admission alone. Whole book is a treasure of vital information still as important today as the day it first came out.

My copy will be passed on at the reading of the will :}

i've been looking for this book as well, if anyone can tell me where to find a copy new or used i will sure appreciate it!!

Bought my copy directly in the mail from Modern Drummer some 30 years ago now. Out of print now but still an amazing book. Bob's description of organic drumming with the incuded artistic visual description examples is worth the price of admission alone. Whole book is a treasure of vital information still as important today as the day it first came out.

I'll send you my contact info for the update of your will LOL.

Same here Stan, but got mine about 25 years ago--I think I was a freshman in high school. Great book which I came to value more and more as my musical maturity progressed.

spleen

That's what I like about this book spleen. With Bob's insight on the subject of drumming you can come back to it later down the road after a few years of gaining your own further "drum wisdom", experience and understanding of music and go through the book again and get a different slant on how to approach the valuble information contained on the pages. Timeless classic as they say.by one of the true modern drum masters.

Last edited:

This book is one of the all-time classics and I also got mine about 30 years ago. Agreed, the introduction of organic drumming and descriptions are worth absorption.

Bless you cyclepilot2.

I too now own a copy of this book, thanks to Amazon, and $40 plus $12.50 postage.

Can't wait till it arrives, was pretty amazed it was still online today.

Bless you cyclepilot2.

I too now own a copy of this book, thanks to Amazon, and $40 plus $12.50 postage.

Can't wait till it arrives, was pretty amazed it was still online today.

thanks! i just Knew someone would be interested in owning it.! and yes i'm surprised it was still there too

My copy arrived in the mail today, and it is GOLD.
Slight slight slight wear (some probably from the postman folded it over to get it into the post box, stupid man), I'm really glad it was in a padded envelope.

I followed Bob's instructions, read through it once completely, but I need to go through it again tonight.

Can we start a discussion on his thoughts in the book? I thought the 8th note rather than triplet point of view was great, I've heard similar opinions from Joey Baron.

The 3 modes of comping: Melody, Vamp and 8/8, is genius, but I was slightly put off by this comment: "I dealt with the individual points for approximately ten years before I allowed myself to play from the flow. (p.34)"

I loved the pictures throughout the book. Bob Moses IMO is a pretty ugly guy. :p

I really want to get some discussion going on about this book, so everyone can utilize it to it's fullest potential.

I'm currently borrowing it (again) from a former drum teacher of mine. It's a conceptual masterpiece.

I wouldn't be put off too much by the 10 year comment. I think it's highlighting how much you have to intergrate the 8 points into your system in order to know where you are ALL the time and thus be able to play freely/organically to the max.

One quote that really stuck me was along the lines of 'Creativity is Everyone is creative, but not everyone can groove.'

It's a shame how underrated that book is. It's a gold mine of crucial concepts in today's modern music. A must in every drummer's book collection IMO.

I'm currently borrowing it (again) from a former drum teacher of mine. It's a conceptual masterpiece.

I wouldn't be put off too much by the 10 year comment. I think it's highlighting how much you have to intergrate the 8 points into your system in order to know where you are ALL the time and thus be able to play freely/organically to the max.

One quote that really stuck me was along the lines of 'Creativity is Everyone is creative, but not everyone can groove.'

It's a shame how underrated that book is. It's a gold mine of crucial concepts in today's modern music. A must in every drummer's book collection IMO.

On the other hand, he means the 10 year comment.=). He advocates the COMPLETE mastery of each concept before the next is even looked at.

I would suggest one of 2 ways of looking at the book. As any old drum book, whopdee do, another Jazz co-ordination book, just what we need. Or Bob Moses' book. There is a massive difference. If you approach it like any old drum book, his ideas and processes will not work like he has outlined. What the book does not and cannot convey (as he freely admits) is the sheer magnitude of material the 8 points concept alone generates. You really CAN spend years and years exploring all angles and still miss some. The complete dedication to each concept and it's philosophy is what he's after and one is needed for the next to be truly comprehended. How can you play the birds and the trees when you can't make humans dance.

On the other hand still, the book is complete crap. Or so he told me when I studied with him. I've mentioned on here that he would jostle between saying 'read the book better' and 'throw it out, it doesn't explain what I mean'. So take the book for what you will. Studying with him is the best way to get at his vast knowledge- no book, video or masterclass will come close. But obviously since not everyone can do that, I do think the book is very good and I love it but the 8 points are the gold. If you have the book, spend the majority of the time on the 8 points and comprehending fully the philosophical aspects ( though he'd routinely call some of those parts bulls**t as well=). Remember though, Bob's 'thing' isn't in what he plays, it's in how and why he plays it.

G

Oh aye - that's what I meant. It's meant to take years and years of studying the concept in order to master it and then move on and use it to do other things, etc.

On the other hand, he means the 10 year comment.=). He advocates the COMPLETE mastery of each concept before the next is even looked at.

I would suggest one of 2 ways of looking at the book. As any old drum book, whopdee do, another Jazz co-ordination book, just what we need. Or Bob Moses' book. There is a massive difference. If you approach it like any old drum book, his ideas and processes will not work like he has outlined. What the book does not and cannot convey (as he freely admits) is the sheer magnitude of material the 8 points concept alone generates. You really CAN spend years and years exploring all angles and still miss some. The complete dedication to each concept and it's philosophy is what he's after and one is needed for the next to be truly comprehended. How can you play the birds and the trees when you can't make humans dance.

On the other hand still, the book is complete crap. Or so he told me when I studied with him. I've mentioned on here that he would jostle between saying 'read the book better' and 'throw it out, it doesn't explain what I mean'. So take the book for what you will. Studying with him is the best way to get at his vast knowledge- no book, video or masterclass will come close. But obviously since not everyone can do that, I do think the book is very good and I love it but the 8 points are the gold. If you have the book, spend the majority of the time on the 8 points and comprehending fully the philosophical aspects ( though he'd routinely call some of those parts bulls**t as well=). Remember though, Bob's 'thing' isn't in what he plays, it's in how and why he plays it.

G

Well its certainly better than "the same old same old" drum book wise and touches on things that no other book has even mentioned so i'd hardly call it complete crap G but I truly understand your point of view on looking at with a different level of concept{s} in mind. I found it to be a good follow up to my one on one time spent with Bob and his input and concepts related to music and drumming some 25 or so years ago. Its just knowing how to look at what's on the paper and take it to the music over years of applied time and trial and error experience in the field.

Take it for what its worth combined with developing your own concept perhaps sparked by something introduced in this book and if you can catch a lesson with Bob even better :}

Well its certainly better than "the same old same old" drum book wise and touches on things that no other book has even mentioned so i'd hardly call it complete crap G but I truly understand your point of view on looking at with a different level of concept{s} in mind. I found it to be a good follow up to my one on one time spent with Bob and his input and concepts related to music and drumming some 25 or so years ago. Its just knowing how to look at what's on the paper and take it to the music over years of applied time and trial and error experience in the field.

Take it for what its worth combined with developing your own concept perhaps sparked by something introduced in this book and if you can catch a lesson with Bob even better :}

Note Stan, I was quoting Bob himself when I said he often called it 'complete crap'. Note later where I said I think it's 'very good and I love it' (3rd line from the bottom of my post) because it is and I do.

As for the concepts, depth and how to use it, I'm just relaying how it was taught to me over many many very long private lessons.

G

Back