Drum Tuning Bible

yammyfan

Well I use the actual drum dial. If you look up some instructions from drum dial on you tube that may help. When people say table top tight that means absolutely nothing to me. One thing it does do for you it gets you consistent. I mean if you want a lower or higher tone you have a reference point. Half way decent or cheap drums, some common sense and I think you might like it. Good luck.
The Drum Dial is okay, but it pales in comparison to the Tune-Bot. It's better than nothing but if you really want great sounding drums, the Tune-Bot is the way to go.

This is coming from a past (and present) Drum Dial owner. It's no contest.

GOOSE72

The Drum Dial is okay, but it pales in comparison to the Tune-Bot. It's better than nothing but if you really want great sounding drums, the Tune-Bot is the way to go.

This is coming from a past (and present) Drum Dial owner. It's no contest.
Yammy you do whatever you want most tune by ear way before that bot was around or the dial. So yeah Appreciate you!!

yammyfan

Yammy you do whatever you want most tune by ear way before that bot was around or the dial. So yeah Appreciate you!!
Absolutely, and thanks.

I've been playing drums off and on for 40 years and tuned by ear for most of them. The Drum Dial was an improvement for sure but then the Tune-Bot came along and changed everything.

One is like a hand grenade and the other is like a cruise missile. :)

Last edited:

Auspicious

I was aware of the existence of the dial only before today, but I never used one. The discussion "sheared" into an unexpected direction with the Tune-Bot.

New technology I wasn't aware of came in.. I am not always a fan of technology but this time, after watching the tutorial, it looked like a magic show of fine tuning to me.

I just can't pass on it.

We will see soon.

GOOSE72

I was aware of the existence of the dial only before today, but I never used one. The discussion "sheared" into an unexpected direction with the Tune-Bot.

New technology I wasn't aware of came in.. I am not always a fan of technology but this time, after watching the tutorial, it looked like a magic show of fine tuning to me.

I just can't pass on it.

We will see soon.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Auspicious

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks GOOSE72, I will try to make the most of it, a device by itself is not everything, I still need to develop some talent at this too and this is not at all a success so far. 😅

The heads on my drums, the tuning dates from 5 years ago. Back then, I found a specific pitch with a piano I had, I think it was tuned around a "G"
but I hardly remember how I did it today, I'll need to re learn.

Maybe all this is inside the bible that I haven't started reading yet.

I still need to figure that out before I even use the Tune-Bot. 😪

GOOSE72

I got two paragraphs in and realized that with intel like this I'll be teaching my workshop for a long time.

Let's start with this - first, you don't tune a drum - you tension it. Second you don't tune a drum - you tension a series of drums to a desirable intervals (and this was mentioned)

The comments regarding die cast and triple flange hoops are simply not accurate.

This is just one individual's ideas and notions. Nothing to get caught up in.
Wow. Opinions vary.

Auspicious

I read the bible a bit but so far I am not hooked too much either... not sure I am going to make it my primary reference right now. But i'll see later.