Drum Tuning Bible

Elvis

Silver Member
Timm,

Quick question - why are you going to change to ribbon?
If you're getting good performance from your snare drum(s), why not just stick with what's working for you?

Elvis

timmdrum

Silver Member
Timm,

Quick question - why are you going to change to ribbon?
If you're getting good performance from your snare drum(s), why not just stick with what's working for you?

Elvis
I've experienced Mr. Dunnett's description of the wires not moving away from the bottom head as far as they could, if they were attached with the more flexible ribbon. I don't play with the snares off often on my primary snare, but my aux snare doubles as a timbale, so it gets close to equal time played with snares off & on, and occasionally I get that slappy rattle.

Elvis

Silver Member
...could it be that you just set the snares without enough slack that time?
I've done it before. A lot of people have.
The whole thing with the ribbon was that its supposed to allow the snares to move with the head better because the ribbon stretches more easily than the plastic strap....at least that's what the marketeers were saying 20+ years ago when the idea of using Grosgrain Ribbon was first brought up on internet forums.

Elvis

timmdrum

Silver Member
...could it be that you just set the snares without enough slack that time?
I've done it before. A lot of people have.
The whole thing with the ribbon was that its supposed to allow the snares to move with the head better because the ribbon stretches more easily than the plastic strap....at least that's what the marketeers were saying 20+ years ago when the idea of using Grosgrain Ribbon was first brought up on internet forums.

Elvis
Figured the stretch ability would be a bonus, but sound-wise, I don't perceive an issue with the plastic straps I've been using. Re: slack- well, no, because I set the strainer tension to what I need for it to not rattle or choke when engaged, so the amount of slack present when the strainer is disengaged is a matter of the design of the strainer.