drum tuners

KamaK

Platinum Member
So when do you stop being an "Aspiring" drummer or guitarist and become a "Real" musician? When you play a gig, when you record, or only when you are a full time pro?
It's a meta answer. They are when they are.

Also, give a lot of experienced guitarists a guitar that is wildly out of tune and ask them to tune it to "Concert pitch" without a tuner and most would struggle. Its easy to get a guitar in tune with its self, so to speak.
I can't think of a single guitarist I know that would have a problem with this. Those with perfect pitch would simply tune up the string that they know (for me, I can do a perfect A and E) and tune relative to that. Those without perfect pitch would ask for a key, or strike a fork.

I'm not sure what your experience with guitarists has been, but tuning is a 101 skill. Even artistic guitarists (BB King) can tune by ear.

Starship Krupa

I started playing drums a couple of years ago after playing bass, guitar, and keyboards for 30 years.

Each instrument kind of has its own culture, and it's been fascinating to observe the differences.

The drum kit is far and away the most difficult to tune (heck, there are at least 4 individual instruments you have to tune, and they each have a separately tuned top and bottom head), and it's also the only instrument I have ever seen or heard anyone disparage the use of devices to aid in tuning.

You ask on a bass forum what the best electronic tuner is, and the number of responses saying "real men don't need tuners" (or similar) will be zero. And they only have 4 strings (usually) to tune.

I use iDrumtune (iOS app) to get repeatability and precise lug clearing.

My drums sound killer (and I've gotten compliments from drummers and recording engineers), which is all that matters to me.

If someone wants to say I'm a "drum player" rather than a "drummer," hey, whatever floats thy boat.