Drum Triggers

freyadrums

Can i use DDrum Triggers plugging them straight into a sampling pad e.g Roland SPD-Sx/ Alesis strike multipad, without using a drum trigger interface? So if i put the triggers on my acoustic kit, plug the triggers into a sampling pad, assign the sounds to them, then hit my drums... will i get the triggered sound on my acoustic drums?

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I think it depends on if either of those units have trigger inputs. If so, that should work. Both of those units have pads built into them so a trigger wouldn't be needed to trigger a sample.
You would still need to hook it up to a PA, or headphones, so you can hear the samples.

I'm in a quandary here. I just purchased a ddrum hybrid kit. I have an old dd1 module, as well as a DM5 and a DM10. None are working well for various reasons, and I am looking at a Roland TD-17. I realize all triggers are piezos, but I wonder about compatibility. Anyone have experience with a TD-17 and ddrum triggers?

My drum triggers .......

Broken down and failing back line kits

overplaying

over engineering and marketing hype of drums

and......... and.........and.......

Oh wait , never mind 🤷🏻‍♂️, wrong trigger 😉

SYMBOLIC DEATH

Ddrum triggers should work with a roland module. I use Ddrum triggers with a TM2, and it works just fine. You do have to set the type of pad correctly in the module.

electrodrummer

I'm in a quandary here. I just purchased a ddrum hybrid kit. I have an old dd1 module, as well as a DM5 and a DM10. None are working well for various reasons, and I am looking at a Roland TD-17. I realize all triggers are piezos, but I wonder about compatibility. Anyone have experience with a TD-17 and ddrum triggers?
Didn't just ask on Facebook, did you? :)

I have tentatively decided to purchase a Roland TD-17. One potential problem I see here is the Roland snake has mostly TSR and a couple of TS jacks. I'd be going from single zone XLR to TS female and plugging mostly TSR's from the Roland snake (harness) into those TS outputs. I'm wondering if that might cause a problem. The TD-17 allows you to select one of about 30 pad types which, I assume are all Roland pads, and just under 70 instruments. No settings that I can find in the manual for "trigger type". Can't send an email to Roland support today (The form is offline until tomorrow) and I have combed the Web for hours trying to find information on compatibility between ddrums XLR's and the Roland TSR's to no avail. If anyone can lend some knowledge here it would be greatly appreciated. I can pick up a TD-17 at a good price if I do it soon.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I only trigger my kicks with one input on the TM2 by using a stereo Y splitter, a Ddrum xlr cable, and a regular TRS cable. With this set up I still have my two kick settings independent of each other. It makes it easier to set up at shows, and I've been doing it for years without issue. Prior to that I was using 2 Ddrum cables without issue with the TM2. I have no idea if that would fly on the TD-17, but it be dumb if it didn't work.

So you're actually talking about a splitter, right? (splitting the signals into each "side" of a TSR jack) So then you would have the ability to select which instrument belongs to which zone. I kinda' gather that's possible, looking at the TD17 manual, but it's either vague or I have to study it better. So, I would assume, if the female I'm plugging a Roland TSR into is a TS, single zone, it should still see one signal and the other as just unavailable. Does that seem to make sense? I would assume, if the TM2 has that capability, that the TD17 would. I could always order the thing and find out, but, since the ddrum ports are XLR, I have to buy female XLR to female TS or TSR adapters (a $36. expense) and I don't know if I should buy a TS or TSR set, or whether it will really make any difference one way or the other.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

*****Edited to fix errors/misstatements*****

The input has to be a dual input so it can take two different signals, like a snare input would have (one input for the head sound & and one for the head & rim sound for example).
From what I've read the Ddrum cable is wired differently from a regular TRS cable, which allows the trigger signals to be read by the TM2 as two different triggers, due to the splitter, allowing you to set all the parameters for each trigger separately from each other. The splitter I'm using is an "off the shelf" 2 female to 1 male splitter. If I switch the two cables the module switches the trigger settings to the other drum (right kick is read as the left kick). It also worked just fine when I just plugged the ddrum cables straight into each input, before I got the splitter. I started using the splitter for easier set up, and now use the second trigger channel on the TM2 to trigger song intros from the SD card.
If you plugged this into a dual input on the module you're looking to get, it should work provided you can figure out the correct trigger type setting in the module.
The trigger type I set it to on the TM2 is "PAD2."

Last edited:
Like the TD-17. The manual is more like a quick start guide, which is a little frustrating. What I found really interesting is that I've had a bass druim problem with both the Alesis DM10 and the ddrum1, using a Roland RT-10K, or a ddrum Protrigger, or the internal trigger on the ddrum Hybrid set, or the DM10 edrums (with the DM10 module). In all the circumstances, the bass drum does not always respond. I have tested by steadily hitting the bass drum with the same stroke weight. I've assumed there is a setting I have not discovered yet in both of these modules (DM10 and ddrum1). With the TD-17 and the Roland RT-10K, this problem did not occur. Have not tried the TD-17 out on the ddrum Hybrid set yet.

Last edited: