Drum thrones (stools to those with dirty minds)

jwildman

Haha aw man thats like when a nut in my bass pedal rolls out and it starts leaning to the left. I'm not big on drum thrones other than thats the most overrated name you could give a seat.

Skitch

Pioneer Member
I am using a Ford Smart Ass throne right now with a back rest. I couldn't be happier!

I tried the DW which was as a hard as a rock. The Pork Pie let me sink all the way to the plywood base that the foam sits on. I have been using a Tama 1st Chair some. The Pearl Roadster gets used at the practice studio and it sucks. What is happening in the world of thrones is all of these with the exception of the Ford throne, is that they are being built with the cheapes forms of foam possible. These foams will either not give any or wear out quickly.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

chocorion

I've got the Pork Pie round throne, it was $160, but totally worth it. You do sink in pretty far, so you have to make adjustments for height. It's ridiculously comfortable.

Xalky

I also have a Roc n soc with the backrest and the 3 legs. Best throne ever. I've played on it for 4-5 hours straight and my butt doesn't know the difference. I have a couple of other thrones here, that I use for practice, not cheapies, I have the exact gibraltar as pictured above. It's solid but it sure as hell aint comfortable. Roc-n-Soc nitro with the backrest, worth every penny.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I also have a Roc n soc with the backrest and the 3 legs. Best throne ever. I've played on it for 4-5 hours straight and my butt doesn't know the difference. I have a couple of other thrones here, that I use for practice, not cheapies, I have the exact gibraltar as pictured above. It's solid but it sure as hell aint comfortable. Roc-n-Soc nitro with the backrest, worth every penny.
Roc-n-Soc Nitro...what a great throne! I don't have the backrest, but it's the sturdiest, most comfortable throne ever...and the turning is SO SMOOTH. I love how you can make the micro adjustments with the air lift--that was deal breaker between that and the Pork Pie.

intheruff

Two names the haven't been mentioned are Gibralter and Stagg. I believe the Stagg is a low rated throne, however their heavy duty saddle model looks interesting at ninty bucks. The Gibralter with a hydralic adjustment looks good at $129. Isn't this a more respected name, but is it? Need to get that broken throne replaced, so tired of the balancing act.

intheruff

I hear the new Tama thrones have a nylon (or?) bushing that degrades the seat. I'm not sure I completely understand the problem, but because of this I've taken Tama off the radar (even though the throne is for my Tama drums... which are grand.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I hear the new Tama thrones have a nylon (or?) bushing that degrades the seat. I'm not sure I completely understand the problem, but because of this I've taken Tama off the radar (even though the throne is for my Tama drums... which are grand.
Where'd you hear that? The Pearl Forums?

Fiery

Silver Member
I believe the Stagg is a low rated throne, however their heavy duty saddle model looks interesting at ninty bucks.
Yopu don't want to go there. It might have a good design, but the materials they use are of very poor quality and never last long.

intheruff

Regarding Tama, I believe I heard that somewhere in this forum and was surprised to hear their quality had slipped a few notches. But, I can't say for sure. My Tama throne lasted a long long time, and besides a small rip the seat is still in great shape.

Yesterday I went to a few music stores and got a first hand look at Stagg, Gibralter, Pearl, Tama, DW, and a few others. Stagg didn't even get in the ball game, if you know what I mean. Pork Pie's weren't in any of the stores, so wasn't able to check them out. Without a doubt and with no misgivings I also sat on a disc shaped Roc n Soc. And without question discovered this to be the most comfortable pad I'd ever sat on, and the frame could probably support an aircraft carrier. I paid 150 for it, strapped on the back of the Harley and put an end to my search. The model I got doesn't have the nitro or hydraulic lift, nor does it have a back rest, frivilous extras I didn't feel were necessary. Thanks all for your valuable input, it was fun...

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Regarding Tama, I believe I heard that somewhere in this forum and was surprised to hear their quality had slipped a few notches. But, I can't say for sure. My Tama throne lasted a long long time, and besides a small rip the seat is still in great shape.
Tama's quality hasn't 'slipped' any, its improved. For the money, Tama's thrones are the lightest, sturdiest, most functional thrones on the market.

The Roc n Soc will take awhile depending on your weight/use, but you will end-up sitting on the wood base (make a note), as the quality of the foam they use is poor.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Roc 'n Soc are the BEST! I have the tractor-seat style and I'm a big guy (240 lbs.) - it's very comfortable. I've been thinking about trying out a round one though.
I second that. I've been flopping my ass down on a Roc-N-Soc for 15 years and its held up well.

A couple of years ago I swapped out the tractor seat for a round one. The round one came from a medical exam stool I got at a yard sale for $5. The round seat is mushier and more comfortable than the tractor seat and is much, much easier to transport. The Roc-N-Soc tractor seats are comfortable but HUGE.

I would go to a secondhand office supply store and check out their stools and seats. You might find a good one and swap the seats and you'd have a spare seat, garage or kitchen stool to use.

Les: I tend to agree with you about the quality of the Roc-N-Soc foam. I love my Roc-N-Soc nitro and their tractor seats are superbly upholstered, but their foam should be mushier.

intheruff

Tama's quality hasn't 'slipped' any, its improved. For the money, Tama's thrones are the lightest, sturdiest, most functional thrones on the market.

The Roc n Soc will take awhile depending on your weight/use, but you will end-up sitting on the wood base (make a note), as the quality of the foam they use is poor.
I need to 'run down' where I got that information of the Tama thrones and when I do I'll post what was said. Like I said, my old Tama throne was 'the best seat in the house' until the big 'snap'.

The other thrones I tried were either 'extremely' hard and uncomfortable or too mushy, something I never had with the Tama four inch seat. The foam of the Roc n Soc was a bit softer and thus far more comfortable, yet wasn't squishy or gave any indication I'd soon be sitting on it's plywood base, I hope not anyway.

I have to disagree with DMC on one thing. I wouldn't want the seat to be 'mushier'. Too me it seems perfect the way it is. When I sat on it I knew without a doubt this would be the ONE for me.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I have to disagree with DMC on one thing. I wouldn't want the seat to be 'mushier'. Too me it seems perfect the way it is. When I sat on it I knew without a doubt this would be the ONE for me.
It's much like sleeping on a bed. Some people like a firmer bed, some like a mushier one. I like a mushier throne seat and would even dig a water seat or a Select Comfort air seat, but some people might prefer plain plywood and everything in between.

I think a smaller seat will be more comfortable in general if it is mushier, while a larger seat can be firmer. But then there are people who probably like very small and hard seats, or a full-size tractor seat with sheepskin. Like a bed, it all depends on what feels good.

intheruff

It's much like sleeping on a bed. Some people like a firmer bed, some like a mushier one. I like a mushier throne seat and would even dig a water seat or a Select Comfort air seat, but some people might prefer plain plywood and everything in between.

I think a smaller seat will be more comfortable in general if it is mushier, while a larger seat can be firmer. But then there are people who probably like very small and hard seats, or a full-size tractor seat with sheepskin. Like a bed, it all depends on what feels good.
Ain't it the truth! I've been using our guitarist $39 cheapy, and the truth be known... it was just fine. Maybe the comfort of the seat is really meant for those moments BETWEEN the songs rather than during... I don't know, but I sure like the Roc n Soc.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
So should I get a tractor seat or a round one?
Round ones are smaller and easier to transport, but tractors are more comfortable. After more than 10 years on a tractor seat, two years ago I switched to a round seat. It's just as comfortable as the tractor seat and much easier to transport, but it is very, very mushy, which makes up for the smaller surface area it offers to absorb shock from your butt.