Drum throne

Good Karma

I need a new throne, I'm considering one with a backrest. Worth it or a waste of $$$$

Thanks for the positive feedback

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm of the opinion of waste of money. If you sit up straight, you won't use it. However, in extra long sessions with breaks I could see it being useful during times of inactivity. Not when playing though. Just my opinion. I've never used one in like 28 or so years of playing.

Thinking about it, the only backrests I use are couch and car. At the table, computer, basically any sitting activity I sit up straight and don't lean against the backrest.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Purely personal opinion, but mine is such that propper posture behind a kit does not nclude a back rest.

Get a real good one that helps your posture and getting up often to stretch and exercise a bit is a much better idea IMO.

Channing

I have a back rest for mine. I got it after I got ran over by an SUV and broke my back a couple years ago. It's helpful for being able to play for longer without having back pain. I can play without it, when I go to band practice I don't have one there, but my back does start to hurt after maybe 20 minutes, whereas with it and my comfy throne I'm able to play for hours without any pain.
Basically, as someone who has lots of back issues, not just the broken back but also I have a slipped disc and pinched nerve that I've been dealing with for like a year now, having a comfy throne is a must and the back rest does help. I think if you had a normal back without all these problems, it seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference, but if you're having pain when you play, it could be something to try.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Try one out first. Some people find certain backrests can inhibit their playing. See if that is the case before you make a purchase.

One of my thrones has a slender back rest that doesn't inhibit playing, but it moves freely on a pivot and makes sporadic noise when it slaps against the support mount. That's not so much an issue for rehearsals and live gigs but it is a dealbreaker for recording.

Unless you have an injury or you spend a lot of time every day on your throne I would say pass on the backrest until you actually need one.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I’ve spent years on various thrones at churches. None had a backrest, none were large wide-butt seats.

Then I sat on a hydraulic throne at an open mic night and really liked it. The next day I bought a Tama hydraulic ergo-rider with backrest and love it.

The Tama backrest is more like a backstop. It’s not something to lean back on, it’s something that helps maintain posture. Very adjustable, too.

C.M. Jones

Speaking only for myself, a backrest would be completely superfluous. Good posture and a strong core are my best forms of support when drumming. I must acknowledge, however, that certain orthopedic complications could be relieved through the use of a backrest, though that topic might be better addressed by a medical expert. In my case, I wouldn't fork over the extra cash for a feature that wouldn't enhance my playing. And visually, I've never liked thrones with backrests. My gut reaction, though it might be inaccurate, is that backrests promote slouching rather than erect posture.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have a back rest for mine. I got it after I got ran over by an SUV and broke my back a couple years ago.

Oh geez, that's awful! I hope it was an accident and not some ill-willed individual trying to do you harm.

Your new avitar, where did you get Lego drums? I haven't seen those before. Are there other Lego instruments?

Channing

Oh geez, that's awful! I hope it was an accident and not some ill-willed individual trying to do you harm.

Your new avitar, where did you get Lego drums? I haven't seen those before. Are there other Lego instruments?

It was definitely an accident. A very drunk person ran off the road and hit me as I was getting out of my car after parallel parking.

For the lego drums, I'm pretty sure you can get an entire lego band. This one was particularly interesting to me because it came with a music stand and sheet music, which a lot of drummers don't use, but I do.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It was definitely an accident. A very drunk person ran off the road and hit me as I was getting out of my car after parallel parking.

That horrible. Good thing it wasn't worse.

For the lego drums, I'm pretty sure you can get an entire lego band. This one was particularly interesting to me because it came with a music stand and sheet music, which a lot of drummers don't use, but I do.

Yeah I want some! Legos were my favorite.

Chollyred

My throne has a backrest. When playing, I hardly ever feel it. When playing, I'm really leaning away from the backrest. I do find it great between songs to lean back against and kinda stretch my back out a little. As a matter of fact, as I'm working from home some during the virus, I'm using it as my desk chair. 4 hours and counting so far, and no issues.

UPDATE####
Still using as a desk chair. However, after 9 hours, I'm beginning to get a butt ache! So yeah, I'd recommend this throne!

Last edited: