drum teachers in the UK? (south of london).

toddy

Platinum Member
hello, i really didn't know where to put this, but i wanted it to have alot of views, so i put it here. i need to find one asap... i know there is a 'drum teacher' thread, but that doesn't have many people from the UK in it. no one really from the south either. plus i didn't want to just post in there.. i'm not a teacher.

basically i've outgrown all the teachers around me (except one, but he's very busy with recording/touring atm) so i'm wondering if anyone knows any exceptional teachers in the uk, or perhaps there are some on this very board.

i'd much prefer the location to be south of london, i'll be travelling from the isle of wight or bristol (varies), but i am willing to travel as far east as brighton if the teacher in question is absolutely outstanding. i'd ideally like someone who is extremely fluent in afro cuban/latin/brazillian studies. i have got some details for a friend from brazil, but unfortunately he is on tour for the foreseeable future.

please don't recommend drumtech or any courses, as that isn't what i'm looking for.

sorry if i put this in the wrong place. if i did then a mod can move it somewhere else, no problem. cheers.

Dave_Major

Silver Member
Hey Toddy, Drum tech do private lessons. May be worth an email or a look at the website to see if any teacher fits your criteria.

Bob Armstrong if consistently touted as one of the top dogs so you could email him to see if he has availability.

I have begun doing a similar thing by searching out the best teacher in a particular field and heading off to see them. Just started working with an old swing drummer who is a brush master. The travel is totally worth it.

Best of luck mate.

Dave

toddy

Platinum Member
yeah cheers man. i did look into drumtech, and was going to study there a few years ago, but i'd really rather not have to travel into london if at all possible (its so expensive - i 'waste' all my money on drum stuff). yeah yeah, i heard about bob armstrong from my old drum teacher.

i don't suppose you have an e-mail for bob? have you studied with him before? you can PM me no problem. yeah, i basically know what i need to practice, so i'm hand picking specific teachers. there's no point in me studying with someone who is going to teach rock drums because i can already do that to a satisfactory level. thanks for the help man.

toddy

Platinum Member
thankyou very much man. i know some mates up near derby that i can stay with for a few weeks if need be, so studying in the north isn't totally out of the question. i just really don't want to have to commute into london for regular lessons.
i'll definitely add them to my list and will likely get in contact with dave rather quickly after reading his teaching blurb. cheers!

MCS

Glad to be of help.

As a small aside, both Dave and Alan use Jim Blackley's concepts a lot, so he's another guy you should check out. Though he lives in Canada his books are excellent and give you a good insight into his playing concepts. With Jim it's all about the music. :eek:)

toddy

Platinum Member
sweet, thanks for the tip, i'll make sure to get his books asap. i will also buy one of the books from dave's website for sure (the massive book with loads of concepts etc).
atm all i do is sit inside playing drums all day, which while being good, would be better if i could get some input from a teacher. a sense of direction every now and again would be brilliant. thanks alot for all your help.

Witterings

Silver Member
The guy I use in Chichester is Ed Clery 07779-725159 ed@chichesterdrumlessons.com
He's into all types and quite heavily into gospel, he does 1 to 1 lesson at the moment but he's just found some premises in Chichester where he wants to set up a proper drum school / clinic, he's also a really nice guy and totally, totally into it !!!!!!
If you do get in contact with him let know it was Neville that passed his details on and he'll probably charge you double :)
The other guy that's very good as well in Chichester is James that teaches out of Berns drum shop, again he's a brilliant player and a great guy 01243-816600
Hope that's of some help.

toddy

Platinum Member
ahhh chichester is proper close (isle of wight). nice one for the numbers man i'll do them a call sometime next week (i'll mention neville ;) cheers!

Nick G.

my teacher, sam glasson, is pretty good

based in brighton/hove

pretty sure he played wioth a brazillian band for a while and he loves that sort of thing

im only 17 and have only had 2 teachers in my brief 6 years but id say hes pretty good

dono what he'd be like with an older person (im guessing your older than me anyway as most people are on this forum :p)

The guy I use in Chichester is Ed Clery 07779-725159 ed@chichesterdrumlessons.com
He's into all types and quite heavily into gospel, he does 1 to 1 lesson at the moment but he's just found some premises in Chichester where he wants to set up a proper drum school / clinic, he's also a really nice guy and totally, totally into it !!!!!!
If you do get in contact with him let know it was Neville that passed his details on and he'll probably charge you double :)
The other guy that's very good as well in Chichester is James that teaches out of Berns drum shop, again he's a brilliant player and a great guy 01243-816600
Hope that's of some help.

my music tech teacher used to teach him music and hes coming to give us a talk on recording techniques i think :)
funny cos he was just talking about him today and then i saw this :)

toddy

Platinum Member
dono what he'd be like with an older person (im guessing your older than me anyway as

that's wicked man. i'm not really old in the grand scheme of things (21). i'll give him a buzz!
good idea learning about recording techniques, that stuff will stand you in good stead for the future.
cheers.