Drum Teacher Time-Wasting?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Yeah I heard Norway and I think the other Nordic countries can be very expensive for a range of things.

Gas and alcohol. 😄

Medical no, but it depends on how you look at it.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
That was really long...

You’re clearly unhappy mate, my recommendation would be for you to find another teacher who is a better fit for you? :unsure:

I'd go this route right away. When I was teaching, my lessons were 30 minutes. Period.
That allowed no time for chit-chat, messing around or the like. Come prepared & ready to work.

Plus, I found that after 30 minutes, most attention spans were gone anyway.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..However he's still taking the cash quite happily..

..It is a tricky one and not an easy situation to deal with reasonably diplomatically and effectively..

There is nothing tricky..

The whole issue is about those 15-20 minutes, no..?

The thing in my opinion is quite simple..

If the guy wants a little rest in between lessons, he should schedule breaks for himself and not taking a break during the lesson from someone else while happily taking the money for that shit..

Thats plain amateurism and ripping people off..

Next time tell him that you pay £16 for the 40 minutes of actual lesson you got and let us know how he reacted, allthough i think i kinda allready know the answer to that..

Durbs

I guess my shorter version is - if you're happy with him, ask to skip the chat, and £24 for a 45-minute lesson is still good value.

Or, just change, you can always go back to him :D

Mr_Runner

That was really long...

I'd go this route right away. When I was teaching, my lessons were 30 minutes. Period.
That allowed no time for chit-chat, messing around or the like. Come prepared & ready to work.

Plus, I found that after 30 minutes, most attention spans were gone anyway.

Yeah pain in the ass isn't it because someone is taking the piss a bit. I realise that no teacher will be perfect though even if they should be. I don't mind a little chat but in my view should be 10 mins tops. That's still pushing 17% of an hour lesson and is long enough. That also doesn't include any drumming related discussion which I think is more acceptable under these circumstances.

I remember the lesson length subject coming up with my teacher in the past and he said that 30 mins lessons he does are normally for the kids.

Mr_Runner

There is nothing tricky..

The whole issue is about those 15-20 minutes, no..?

The thing in my opinion is quite simple..

If the guy wants a little rest in between lessons, he should schedule breaks for himself and not taking a break during the lesson from someone else while happily taking the money for that shit..

Thats plain amateurism and ripping people off..

Next time tell him that you pay £16 for the 40 minutes of actual lesson you got and let us know how he reacted, allthough i think i kinda allready know the answer to that..

Sure but little breaks of course means less money but I agree with you on this. It's easier and more profitable to have some kind of breaks during paid lesson time. Like I said he's taken the piss a bit many times and over a length of time.

Yeah I've thought of calling him out on the cost of his chats previously. It's an idea but I've discussed my basic plan already but thanks anyway, it's an amusing idea and may even be effective!

Mr_Runner

I guess my shorter version is - if you're happy with him, ask to skip the chat, and £24 for a 45-minute lesson is still good value.

Or, just change, you can always go back to him :D

Ok thanks but I've discussed my basic future plan ideas. If my teacher only wanted to do 45 mins or less he could have been a bit more honest and upfront about this originally. That would have made his lessons look more expensive though so unlikely to happen.

J-W

It is a tricky one and not an easy situation to deal with reasonably diplomatically and effectively.

If you want to continue with him but you're worried about ruffling any feathers, you could just approach it like this:
Come in, sit down at the kit (or pad) and say something along the lines of, "I'm excited about this, so let's get going!", or "So, what's on the agenda for today, I'm dying to get on the kit (or pad)". If he still wants to chit chat, then you could say, "I don't mean to be rude, but I'm anxious to learn here so can we get on with the lesson?" Just take control of the situation without being overbearing.
OR if you want to take a passive aggressive approach (not recommended, but....) you could just take note of how long he actually focused on the lesson, and then pay him by the minute. If he balks, then explain to him that you're paying him for drum lessons and not idle chat.

Mr_Runner

If you want to continue with him but you're worried about ruffling any feathers, you could just approach it like this:
Come in, sit down at the kit (or pad) and say something along the lines of, "I'm excited about this, so let's get going!", or "So, what's on the agenda for today, I'm dying to get on the kit (or pad)". If he still wants to chit chat, then you could say, "I don't mean to be rude, but I'm anxious to learn here so can we get on with the lesson?" Just take control of the situation without being overbearing.
OR if you want to take a passive aggressive approach (not recommended, but....) you could just take note of how long he actually focused on the lesson, and then pay him by the minute. If he balks, then explain to him that you're paying him for drum lessons and not idle chat.

Ok thanks but I've discussed my basic future plan ideas. However your ideas and suggestions are very good and sensible and hopefully I will handle it along these kind of lines hopefully if I can in the situation. I think I've left it too long without doing this stuff. The lockdown though has in some ways made me consider / review certain things and situations a bit more which isn't always a bad thing.

The passive aggressive approach is probably what the guy deserves but I would only do that if I thought the situation warranted that and I felt threatened. Like you said though it's not a good idea as it could escalate. It could be an amusing and effective lesson for the guy though but would probably spell the end of things. I'm sure some related video footage would be popular though but also to the Police most likely if things escalated enough which would be a bit of a disaster with me losing a hell of a lot.

Sorry, but I really don't see the point of making plans and thinking about what could happen for days - why not just tell him that you come to him to receive lessons and that you want you're money's worth? If he doesn't want that, end the contract and that's it. Everything else seems counter-productive - thinking about different scenarios is pointless in my opinion. How you arrange things with him is the only thing that matters.
Unless you feel like he's still the best local teacher or everyone else is too expensive for you, you're not bound to him for life.

Doraemon

Seeing you never said a word for 3 years he may think you like it this way. He wasted maybe 15 mins each time but you might have wasted 3 years by ignoring the issue. And what abou the other 45 mins, are you happy with the teaching part? What is he talking about, drums, music or the weather?

Lessons in my region cost 2-3x more. I don’t mind chatting with my teacher, he’s a wise man, and it’s not unreasonable to find out about my current situation for the lesson plan. If time in minutes were the measure of his value, I would have left after the first lesson...

Mr_Runner

Sorry, but I really don't see the point of making plans and thinking about what could happen for days - why not just tell him that you come to him to receive lessons and that you want you're money's worth? If he doesn't want that, end the contract and that's it. Everything else seems counter-productive - thinking about different scenarios is pointless in my opinion. How you arrange things with him is the only thing that matters.
Unless you feel like he's still the best local teacher or everyone else is too expensive for you, you're not bound to him for life.

Ok and thank you. I kind of put this out there mainly and partly just to see what others thought of the situation and if anyone else is in a similar situation they can maybe read some stuff if this post stays up and it comes up quite early on a Google search or whatever. I realise that not all things come together as planned but I feel you need some kind of framework and probably like some other things in life at least as a starting point.

If possible I'd like the situation to be dealt with in a way that I feel was reasonable for it. For things to get completely fucked up would I hope require quite an extreme situation with little other alternative. Luckily I like to feel that these are less common situations if you've attempted to conduct yourself in a reasonable and reasonably fair way. Don't get me wrong if I needed to tell someone to go fuck themselves and I thought it was very appropriate for that person and their behaviour and situation then I would. That generally speaking is more worst-case scenario but still possible and I think with things in life you may need to prepare for a possibly more worse-case scenario in case that happens which it easily could. Hopefully if you do that any other situation may be a bit easier to deal with. This may sound negative but it's been caused by someone else's unprovoked negative and difficult shit to deal with.

I realise I've taken advice and I appreciate that but in my view everyone needs to deal with things in their own way in the end. No one will do it for you and their way isn't necessarily the best one for you. Basically you need to deal with your own and other people's shit in your own way I think. Advice and good advice can hopefully perhaps assist you with that.

Like you said I'll have to deal with the situation if and when it happens again live. It's not stuff and situations I and possibly others find easy. I've done my best to describe the situation here but I guess it's harder to understand without actually being there and seeing it.

Old PIT Guy

The socializing is fine, but it shouldn't be on your dime. You're paying for instruction, not small talk. I know it's a difficult situation to interrupt him and say something like, "I really like our chats, but it tends to eat into my time and I want to get the most out of that I can" but you really should. Because if you don't you'll probably move on and then he's talking to himself.

Mr_Runner

Seeing you never said a word for 3 years he may think you like it this way. He wasted maybe 15 mins each time but you might have wasted 3 years by ignoring the issue. And what abou the other 45 mins, are you happy with the teaching part? What is he talking about, drums, music or the weather?

Lessons in my region cost 2-3x more. I don’t mind chatting with my teacher, he’s a wise man, and it’s not unreasonable to find out about my current situation for the lesson plan. If time in minutes were the measure of his value, I would have left after the first lesson...

That's true and I may have left it too long although it has been of concern for a bit now. That's partly because I'm for the most part a nice guy who doesn't like to offend others and unfortunately with some people that's going to be part of my downfall and has been sometimes in the past. I wouldn't say I've wasted 3 years - it's not a situation you can surely comment on to a large degree of accuracy because you've never been a part of it.

In terms of the other 40-45 mins generally speaking I have been reasonably happy with the teaching. I just feel with the 15-20 mins stuff he's taking the piss and out of me a bit too much there. Maybe 10 mins is ok general chat at the beginning and that's still pushing 17% of the lesson. I guess drum chat generally speaking is kind of ok depending on what it is and if it's relevant to the lesson. Still not too much there though.

As I've said before it's not really the money or even the time so much that bothers me. It's the way it's being done and the behaviour that's basically not on. That can cause anger and it's not deserved. I haven't been a demanding or hard student etc. In the past I've practised very hard and regularly which usually can make a teacher's job easier than with someone who hasn't put enough work in etc.

Mr_Runner

The socializing is fine, but it shouldn't be on your dime. You're paying for instruction, not small talk. I know it's a difficult situation to interrupt him and say something like, "I really like our chats, but it tends to eat into my time and I want to get the most out of that I can" but you really should. Because if you don't you'll probably move on and then he's talking to himself.

Hi I completely agree and it sounds like you have some understanding of the situation. I will probably have to do something like you've said and the way you've put it. Perhaps I could suggest that if he wants to chat we could speak on the phone out of lesson time?! I'd have a few drinks with the guy out of lesson time if he wanted to chat. Nothing like that has been mentioned so far apart from doing so with others.

Mr_Runner

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this really isn't about him.

That's your opinion on a situation you've never been directly involved in and you're entitled to it. In terms of 'going out on a limb' I see where you're coming from a bit. Anyway good luck with your 'super-sexy sounding drumming'. I hope you have some success with that even though I didn't really understand that at all. What are you going on about?