Drum Talk | Cruise Ship Drumming - A Career at Sea

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Video Link

In this video I discuss the realities of life as a cruise ship drummer with my friend Mike Davis. Mike has worked on cruise ships for over seven years, and kindly shares his insight with regards to playing requirements, the physical and mental toll, and tips and advice for those wanting to enter this world.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Nice interview! Man I bet it's both an adventure and tough life. I can't imagine how recent events are impacting cruise musicians.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Nice interview! Man I bet it's both an adventure and tough life. I can't imagine how recent events are impacting cruise musicians.
Thanks for the kind comment.

Needless to say Mike is not at sea at the moment, and due to an asthma diagnosis, it's looking very unlikely he will be again.

He's loved it though, and has some fantastic memories (and photographs).

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Good interview. That's about the size of it. The last arena where you can actually go out and work as a musician, and get paid like a normal job, where it's easy to get in. He made a good point that nobody shows up knowing what to do on those things-- you learn it on the job. That 9 month contract he mentioned is pretty horrifying.

Mighty_Joker

Silver Member
Good interview. That's about the size of it. The last arena where you can actually go out and work as a musician, and get paid like a normal job, where it's easy to get in. He made a good point that nobody shows up knowing what to do on those things-- you learn it on the job. That 9 month contract he mentioned is pretty horrifying.
Thanks!

Yeah, he paints a pretty grim picture of it; I don't know how many 9-monthers he did. Unfortunately, he works an office job now - his asthma (and C-19) has put a stop to the cruise work, and he pretty much has no career on land. It's really sad.