Drum soundtrack for short film Buffalo Bone China

Steamer

Platinum Member
Well I get a email from my brother saying a film that been very popular with the university crowd in North America according to one of his daughters has my name in the credits. He asked are you the same Stan Taylor listed in the credits. Answer to him yes :}

I was hired as a studio musician to record the solo acoustic improvised drum score as heard mixed with electronic music and voice for this experimental film from 1997 and it seems its gained some popularity as of late so i've been told. Interesting and intense in meaning film about the great widespread slaughter of the buffalo and the use of their bones as seen from the symbolic viewpoint of North American First Nations people :

http://www.non-compliance.ca/Fung/videos_Claxton.html

Last edited:

Steamer

Platinum Member
Oh and a side note from remembering the session now in more detail back in 97. Many of the sounds you also hear in the soundtrack are cymbal effects such as bowed cymbals, cymbals rubbed on cymbals, Rolls played on a cymbal mounted upside down on a floor tom etc.. Also a very low pitched tuned 14" floor tom and 18" bass drum were used to achieve the very powerful "Pow Wow" drums type of sound and character heard near the end of the film.

Worked with the film director and musical producer over several hours in a one day session in the studio after many discussions and feedback on the spot to come up with the desired sounds/effects and moods with drums and cymbals for the film in basically a improvisational type of setting to achieve the end result you hear when combined with voice and electronic music and in some cases modified samples of my recorded drum/cymbals tracks over top of acoustic drum tracks in the mix at times. It was fun!