Drum sound ------------ ARE THERE ANY DRUMMERS HELP WITH THIS BEAT PLS ???

bellows

I am not a drummer sadly, but I want to recreate this drum pattern
All things to all men
Its the high end; snare and ride? HH? sounds that I am most interested in.

Can anyone help me understand the kick, snare and cymbal timings please????
or even create a quick midi file

73 people read this and not a single word! seriously?

Last edited:

BGDurham

Midi knowledge is not required to be an actual drummer. I don't even know what midi is.

bellows

Oooooooooooooook how about a description of what the snare and symbal hits are ??
sounds like a slight snare hit before the main crack?

River19

Listening to a minute of that when the drums kick in.....to me sounds like a highly processed ride cymbal and a shallow snare like a piccolo snare with grace notes ahead of the back beat......the kick drum is more implied than actually featured in the mix.

If I were to try and recreate that with acoustic drums that is the approach I would take. The playing of that initial part is easy, the real work is at the mixing board to get that heavy processed sound.

Just my quick $0.02

bellows

Listening to a minute of that when the drums kick in.....to me sounds like a highly processed ride cymbal and a shallow snare like a piccolo snare with grace notes ahead of the back beat......the kick drum is more implied than actually featured in the mix.

If I were to try and recreate that with acoustic drums that is the approach I would take. The playing of that initial part is easy, the real work is at the mixing board to get that heavy processed sound.

Just my quick $0.02
Thank you!!!
Highly processed I think means compressed? ie the vol level remains mostly constant. from the hit thru the decay
please explain "grace notes ahead of the back beat" pretend I know nothing about drumming (i dont)
The effects and sound processing I can handle )

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
You didn't click on the link and hit play, did you?

bellows

You didn't click on the link and hit play, did you?
Oh. Excuse me. I missed that implication.... let me do that.
Hmmm.. it says loading project, but there are no midi notes in there. When I hit play, it plays nothing for a bar or so and then stops.
I assume this is not what I was supposed to discover ))

EDIT
just tried a different browser. Works. I guess that site doesnt like Opera :/
Are there toms in that drum track or are they a sub for something else?
No High Hat?

where are the grace notes and backbeat stuff ? (yes i really am that ignorant)
and fyi, its actually 75.5bpm.... who records at track at a fraction like that ....

Last edited:

River19

Thank you!!!
Highly processed I think means compressed? ie the vol level remains mostly constant. from the hit thru the decay
please explain "grace notes ahead of the back beat" pretend I know nothing about drumming (i dont)
The effects and sound processing I can handle )

Grace notes......let's say you are playing a 2&4 backbeat with a full 12" stroke (lifting your arm/wrist/stick 12" for the snare hit) with an intensity of 7 out of 10 on a physical effort scale, a grace note in that example would be played from maybe 1-2"s above the drum as a lighter tap of say 2-3 out of 10 on the effort scale.....so basically a "softer" snare hit that adds motion and a syncopated funkiness in between a standard 2&4 back beat.

The processing certainly would leverage compression along with I think a generous amount of EQ where they may have really shaped the sound.

Again just my $0.02

bellows

Grace notes......let's say you are playing a 2&4 backbeat with a full 12" stroke (lifting your arm/wrist/stick 12" for the snare hit) with an intensity of 7 out of 10 on a physical effort scale, a grace note in that example would be played from maybe 1-2"s above the drum as a lighter tap of say 2-3 out of 10 on the effort scale.....so basically a "softer" snare hit that adds motion and a syncopated funkiness in between a standard 2&4 back beat.

The processing certainly would leverage compression along with I think a generous amount of EQ where they may have really shaped the sound.

Again just my $0.02

now add in that goodness.. magic sustinance, you now what i mean... just do it!
(drummer talk I guess)

When do the softer grace notes hit? 1/16 before the main snare hit? or on the "a"

d (2).jpg

Last edited: