Drum shaming..

Erberderber

I've been watching videos of myself (highly recommended, you learn so much about your own playing) playing at a recent gig. The songs that sounded better were the ones in which you DIDN'T notice the drumming, but the entire song moving as one.

I said in a post a long time ago that there are two types of drummers: musicians and sportsmen. The former belongs on stage with a band, the latter on instagram.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I really like what larry is saying: be happy with where you are at, what you are capable of, and how you push yourself.

personally, I am pushing my self to be able to slide into any drumming situation: meat and potatoes; blast beats; tympani gigs; repair gigs; education; hand pan....for me, the key is that I never want to stop learning, and I never want to discount anything as being "not worth my time". That would be a scary state to be in to me...very limiting.

There are styles I don't like, but I don't 'count them out". Like I mentioned before, I really can't stand country and blues, but I play in a country and blues band b/c I like the guys who are in it, and it was a challenge to me to learn some new stylers/feels/songs AND some big time history of music, which I love. I now definitely appreciate what is going on sonically in both types of music, even if I can't stand the other non-musical aspects of the genres.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..Maybe because you like to eat? :)..

Matt Garstka looks pretty healthy to me..🙂

But, besides that, if you count all drummers worldwide who only play money-beats, what percentage would you say can actually pay their food from that..?

Maybe 1-5%..?

And thats what i mean, i see people preaching that playing a money-beat is what gets them hired and they play 1-2 times a month somewhere in an empty bar for free or $25 and a few drinks..

Then whats wrong with being a chops monster playing 2 times a month in a bar for a crowd of 10 musicians for free or $25 and a few drinks, while in the meantime having a YT-channel with 1000’s of followers..?

As far as a chance to pay the bills from drumming, i would say the chops guy, with his name and technical skills, has a bigger chance, since, if everything else fails, people always will want to take lessons with him..

Good Karma

I have no clue how a 11/8 groove is played. I wouldn't even know where to start.

I've got a lot of other rudiments/beats to learn that will keep me busy for many years to come.

nolibos

This is an interesting discussion. I feel that we shouldn't blame the internet here; people have always loved fireworks (fast complex stuff), but usually not all the time.
No one wants to read about a "boring" drum method that requires patience and dedication over a long period.
My teacher, Chuck Brown, used very antique books, gear, and unflashy methods to produce some of the best drummers to come out of the SF bay area from the late sixties through the early 2010s. I feel like the bulk of the lesson was devoted to the single stroke roll, how basic is that?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I have no clue how a 11/8 groove is played. I wouldn't even know where to start.

I've got a lot of other rudiments/beats to learn that will keep me busy for many years to come.
The opening section of The Allman Brother's "Whipping Post" is in 11.

On paper it sounds exotic but it's not really.

It flows nicely.