Drum setup

I have the same setup, S hoops on top and triple 2.3mm rims on the bottom side

I keep hearing/reading that s hoops are the best of both worlds between 2.3tf and diecast. Do you feel the same?

I'm picking up a new snare soon that comes stock with 1.6tf and I want to upgrade them. I want diecast but considering they are $40-$60 per hoop I've generally stuck with 2.3tf because they are around $15-$20 per hoop. S Hoops are only a few dollars more then 2.3's so if they are really that much more rigid then I could see myself making the switch.

Last edited:
And then there's this...white-kit.jpg
Still not sure how this will work out for him (Daru Jones) in the long run.

And then there's this...View attachment 97002
Still not sure how this will work out for him (Daru Jones) in the long run.

I don't want to knock the guy, because he is a great drummer, but 1. His back is going to blow out before he hits social security age, 2. His drums always sound like muddy crap in the band/stage context on any video I've ever heard of him not playing solo, 3. I frequently watch him jump up and lean forward to hit toms and crashes... That compounded over decades of touring and gigging is a surefire way to get hemorrhoids and prostate damage.

I keep hearing/reading that s hoops are the best of both worlds between 2.3tf and diecast. Do you feel the same?

I'm picking up a new snare soon that comes stock with 1.6tf and I want to upgrade them. I want diecast but considering they are $40-$60 per hoop I've generally stuck with 2.3tf because they are around $15-$20 per hoop. S Hoops are only a few dollars more then 2.3's do if they are really that much more rigid then I could see myself making the switch.
For me I think its the best of both worlds and the S hoops are less heavy then the die cast and not much more then the TF ones.

Then there's Harry Miree's set up. Left handed double pedal played as a righty, with a cable hat & mirrored toms left & right. All played open handed.Miree set up.jpg

Then there's Harry Miree's set up. Left handed double pedal played as a righty, with a cable hat & mirrored toms left & right. All played open handed.View attachment 97004
Harry Miree is a right handed playing a left handed set? Never knew. Friend of mine also is righthanded but he learned to play left handed on the drumset as his teacher taught him that way as he was to lazy to switch the drums around every time. Works for him and he doesn't know better but he plays everything lefty.

Last Friday i changed my setup again for the nth time. Had a 3 up 2 down setup and went back to a 2 up 2 down setup.
I had the 'traditional' setup (toms over bass drum) 2 years back or so because that really made for a tight setup and i could bring everything in more closely. With another band i used a 1 up 1 down setup and loved that because the ride is in a super comfortable position.
Recently i started to notice that my body just doesn't like my setup anymore (back-pain or muscle aches after playing) and I've been thinking about a more ergonomical setup. Which meant moving the ride in more closely. I also wanted a minimum of 2 toms in front on of, so i left the 8" tom out and used the off-set setup again. Really comfortable this way: i have enough toms in front of me and i don't have to over stretch my arm anymore to play the ride.

Ever since getting my Pearl Rocket Toms I've been having issues with getting them where i wanted them. It's even made me think now that i'm going to leave them out and just get a pair of Tama Tymp Toms (6 and 8") so i can position them easily over my hi-hat.

Last edited:
I've done the offset toms, and get the sense of it. But the longer stretch to the floor tom eventually sent me back to the bass mounted tom setup. Also not a fan of the look. I'm currently using a 4 pc, with the 10" up for rock and fusion, and the 12" up for jazz.

I tried the offset tom config but didn't really care for it. I've always played my ride angled and at medium height so there really wasn't any advantage to the offset setup. Also, I don't use my ride as a crash so it just kind of sits there and looks cute.
22810121416 8x6.jpg

I've had S hoops, but I like the inverse dyna hoops on the newer Yamaha Tours better. I don't think they're selling them separate yet though.

TC_TT_crs_z_0002_400x299_7907b3d536b323e8a8575426baa4a6b9.jpg

"....Newly-designed 2.3 mm Inverse Dynahoop controls the natural overtones inherent to all-maple drums and focuses the fundamental tone of the shell. ...."

I can get a shure mic clip to work on an S-hoop. You have to tilt it way forward until the lip engages and slowly tighten up the bottom until it slots in.

This thread inspired me to rethink my setup...

Now I have 2 toms on a stand on one side of the BD, one tom on a stand on the other side, a splash on the BD and the low tom in close. Besides the splash, cymbals share stands with the toms. Everything is easily in reach and symmetrically arranged, and I think I like it very much. I'll let you know for sure after I play it some more. ;)

edit-pic
20201027-222904.jpg

Last edited:
Back