Drum setup

RambleOn

Hi, I am new to this community and need help with my drum setup. I initially purchased a 1983 Pearl Master Maple kit and it came as 13, 14, 18, and 24. I purchased a 16 inch floor tom bc I love the 1 up, 2 down setup. Do you think I should keep the 13 or the 14 as my mounted Tom? Also, for snare purposes, would a 14x6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic sound better than the 14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic? Thanks for the help. Ramble on.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Hi, I am new to this community and need help with my drum setup. I initially purchased a 1983 Pearl Master Maple kit and it came as 13, 14, 18, and 24. I purchased a 16 inch floor tom bc I love the 1 up, 2 down setup. Do you think I should keep the 13 or the 14 as my mounted Tom? Also, for snare purposes, would a 14x6.5 Ludwig Supraphonic sound better than the 14x5 Ludwig Supraphonic? Thanks for the help. Ramble on.
What color is your kit (post a pic?).

Keep the unused toms on the shelf so that you can experiment with different configurations and to bolster resale value.

The snare drum depth is unlikely to make a dramatic difference. Deeper drums have a slightly greater lower-tuning range. Shallow drums tend to have slightly greater sensitivity. The difference between a 5" and 6.5" Supra is not so great that one would consider one to be better than another, it's just that the aforementioned attributes change a tad.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd keep the 13 for the rack. A 13 on top of a 24" bass drum...I hope you're a big guy. Also a vote for the 6.5 snare. You have big drums. A 5" snare seems mismatched to me.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I'd keep the 13 for the rack. A 13 on top of a 24" bass drum...I hope you're a big guy. Also a vote for the 6.5 snare. You have big drums. A 5" snare seems mismatched to me.
Ditto. I'd set the 14 inch tom aside and go 13/16/18 with a 24" kick.

The 6.5" snare will be more versatile than the 5" depth. I think you'll be glad you went with the 6.5" depth. You can always add on a 5" snare down the road but you likely won't need to unless you need it as a specific snare voice.

Bretton

Silver Member
I'm going to go the other direction than most replies here and say, if comfort allows, keep the 14" rack, as the jump from 13 to 16 will be much greater than the jump from 16 to 18.

I played with a 15x9.25 rack over two 24"s comfortably, had the rack as low as I could get it in between the two kicks. Though I am 6'1".

T

The SunDog

+1 for the 13 up. I'm currently playing 1 up 1 down 12,15,24. Three inches is a nice interval to me.

JackBab

I've got the same size drums (70s premier elite) I tend to use the 14 if I'm using the two floor toms and the 13 if im just using a 4 piece with the 16 floor :)

Nour Ayasso

I think the 13" is fine for the rack tom, then you could put the 14" on the left. Or just keep it around so you can switch between the two for different purposes. As for the snare, these are my opinions for the sizes; 14.6 is going to sound deeper, resonate more, and bring out the ghost notes. The 14.5 will crack and sound more dry.

Welcome to the forum!