Drum sets for country music?

Mike7300

As a beginner, and wanting a mid level set... i don't want to spend more than 650 on a kit. Are there drum sets or sizes of drums that are better for playing country music?

RobertM

Platinum Member
Any decent maple or birch kit will do. There is really no "kit = style of music" out there; your sound will have more to do with size/depth of drums, head choice, tuning, and your playing. That said, a Ludwig steel kit or acrylic shells may not be as ideal for country music, but I've heard jazz players make an acrylic / vistalite set sound like a "jazz" drum.

Regarding sizes, I'd recommend either a 20" or 22" bass drum, 8x10 and 8x12 (or 9x12) toms, and a 14" floor tom. There will be plenty of shell packs in those and other offerings.

For your price range, I would check out either Mapex Meridian maple or birch kits or Tama Silverstar birch kits. The Mapex Meridians have been recently discontinued but you can find a lot of dealers now doing clearances on those, like Drummersuperstore.com.

Good luck in your search!

Mike7300

Any decent maple or birch kit will do. There is really no "kit = style of music" out there; your sound will have more to do with size/depth of drums, head choice, tuning, and your playing. That said, a Ludwig steel kit or acrylic shells may not be as ideal for country music, but I've heard jazz players make an acrylic / vistalite set sound like a "jazz" drum.

Regarding sizes, I'd recommend either a 20" or 22" bass drum, 8x10 and 8x12 (or 9x12) toms, and a 14" floor tom. There will be plenty of shell packs in those and other offerings.

For your price range, I would check out either Mapex Meridian maple or birch kits or Tama Silverstar birch kits. The Mapex Meridians have been recently discontinued but you can find a lot of dealers now doing clearances on those, like Drummersuperstore.com.

Good luck in your search!
whats the reason for discontinuing them?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
whats the reason for discontinuing them?
Companies discontinue stuff all the time. It's like fashion. Out with the old, in with the new. Some companies like Ludwig and Gretsch try not to change too much because their history and vibe is what people are after. Other companies always push the envelope (Tama and Sonor come to mind) and come up with new designs all the time. But if you find something you like, it doesn't mean it's no longer valid if the company stops making it. Just so long as it can be repaired when you need (they do stock parts sometimes for years after a product is discontinued) you could be good for decades if you take care of your stuff.

Mike7300

Is there a big difference between 14 and 16 size floor Tom? Some of the sets i like come with a 16 instead of 14.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Check eBay or your local Craigslist for a good used set. I found my 1500.00 set for 650. Your budget will go much further.

?uesto

Silver Member
I would look at some of your favorite Country drummers and see what brands they endorse/sizes they play.

I'm not a huge fan of too much country music, but some of my favorite "Country" drumming is Matt Chamberlain on Carrie Underwood's second record. He used Ludwig Legacies in 14"x22", 13"x9", and 16"x16" with a 6½"x14" Copper Shell Craviotto snare drum.

Sizes like that tend to be a trend. If you jump on Ludwig or Craviotto's websites, you'll see Shannon Forest and a lot of other cats playing with Country names. They often play 14"x24", 13"x9", 16"x16" sometimes with an 18"x16".

That being said, unfortunately, with a budget of $650, you aren't given many kits that afford you the options of getting those configurations. I'd suggest something like the Ludwig Epic or Element Series or perhaps a Mapex Meridian Birch. Maybe a Pearl Forum or Vision series or perhaps a PDP or Tama Silverstar or Imperialstar. Different configurations will run a little different in price, so I'm just offering a few options that are around your budget.