Drum set you have never tried but would love to .

RickP

Gold Member
Is there a drum set brand /model that you have never tried but you would love too ?

I would love to try a Sonor SQ2 Heavy Beech shell kit - I have a Sonor Vintage series kit with medium beech shells and roundover edges . I imagine the Heavy Beech SQ2 must sound monstrous.

Honorable Mention would be a Tama Star Bubinga Kit . I have been interested in this brand/model since watching the Peter Erksine YouTube videos of him playing his Yellow Star Bubinga Kit . What a fantastic sounding kit !!

I'm a devout buyer of Pearl. The chances that I'll own a different brand are negligibly slim. But I must admit that I'd like to sample, just for the sake of saying I've sampled, a Sonor kit. A unique mystique surrounds Sonor, and putting it to the test would be fun, especially if the trial included a 14"x5" Phil Rudd signature snare.

Craviotto, Brady, Slingerland Radioking, George Way, Camco, Sonor Vintages

Either the Yamaha PHX or the Paiste bell brass kit.
The PHX is the best sounding kit I've ever heard but couldn't bring myself to spend money on.
The Paiste kit is unique, and so heavy i'd just like to play it, not own it :)

I'd love to sample all the solid shell offerings from all the boutique builders of the world, tuned and headed to my personal preferences, and all lined up on a football field, so I can hop from set to set.

Tama Star Maple
Pearl Masterworks
Craviotto steam bent

I'd love to play a Noble and Cooley - I've never had the chance.

I'd also love to play a set of Zipzzichino's - never had the chance there either. Never been in the room with one even.

I'd love to play a Noble and Cooley - I've never had the chance.

I'd also love to play a set of Zipzzichino's - never had the chance there either. Never been in the room with one even.
Those Stone drums you have look intriguing. I've never heard of them before. What configuration do you have of his offerings?

An all copper kit from Great Lakes Drum Co.

Or one of their snare drums with the patented Infinity Snare Bed like this one.

I think for me more than the brand of drums would be the set up. I've pretty much have only ever played 1 up/1 down with hi-hats, a ride, and 2 crash cymbals. I would love to play on a set like this:

Capture.PNG

whenever I see sets like that I always wonder what it's like to play on them. tom height, spacing, angles... it all just looks very comfortable to play.

I have always wanted to play a C&C kit though. all the demos for Doc Sweeney kits I've recently seen sound great and I love this snare ($825 though, way out of my justifiable price range).:2Capture.PNG

never really thought about it. ive been happy playing anything really. though i suppose i would of loved to play buddy rich's last slingerland radio king kit, think it sounded perfect to me :)

wouldnt of minded trying a sonor phonic hi-tec kit, like the one nicko played with maiden for a while :)

Last edited:
Back