Drum set you have never tried but would love to .

MrTheOne

Kinda surprised I haven’t seen anybody mention Ayotte.

So yeah my answer is an Ayotte kit. Saw a used one in the upstairs of Forks Drum Closet last year that was amazing. Was only $1,100 if I remember correctly. I’m sure somebody has already picked it up.

Reactions: iCe

iCe

So yeah my answer is an Ayotte kit. Saw a used one in the upstairs of Forks Drum Closet last year that was amazing. Was only $1,100 if I remember correctly. I’m sure somebody has already picked it up.
Here's mention #2 haha. Saw the thread title and immediately i thought of Ayotte. At the end of 2003 i was really into Nickelback, got their 'Live at Home' DVD (which i good btw) and i fell in love with that green/black fade Ayotte kit. The wood hoops on the toms and floor toms was new to me and looked stellar. Also the sound of that kit was amazing. So much resonance, attack and the low end from those floor toms... still drool over them!
Still in my mind to get an Ayotte kit, but last i've heard/read the company has some problems and isn't what it used to be. And also... ordering a custom kit is really expensive as well!

But the kit that i always come back to is the Purple/Red/Green Monsters Mike Portnoy used from 1997-2000. Particularly fond of the red monster. Not a lot of pics or vids around of that version, but there were some on the LP site years ago that i snatched and uploaded elsewhere. That kit has everything i'd like: bunch of cymbals, amount of toms i'd like, octobans, and the thing i desire the most: GONG DRUM :love:

1591333896658.png

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Definitely a Camco. As well as a Gretsch USA Custom, and like every shell combination that Sonor SQ2 has to offer.

I feel like I'll knock the first two off my list someday.

-Jonathan

Rotarded

I would have, but I just found, and bought, the dream 2 weeks ago...

1998 "Ray Era"
received_822376648289811.jpeg

I digress,
I would love to test drive a Guru.

Last edited:
While not using that many toms, this is how my kit is set up, basically. Tight spacing, proportionate alignment, heads angled with each other.
I actually set it up as such, on my own, because it felt the most "right" to me.
Seeing that it's done by others helps me feel less OCD (slightly). :D
Thanks. ;)
nice! I feel like it seems conducive for better playing. maybe that's just my imagination. there's just something about that set up that makes it looks like it would be a lot of fun to play. that image is Cobus Potgieter's kit, but I've seen several others have theirs like that and have always wondered how it feels to play that set up.

As a C&C owner I can tell you they are frickin’ awesome. Although my opinion is biased. The bearing edges on mine are razor sharp, inside of the shells are smooth as glass.
that's good to hear. had any used ones been for sale that I liked when I was looking for a kit I probably would have bought one. maybe someday...

forgot about them! when I was in high school I really wanted an Ayotte kit. not sure I'd really want one anymore, but I was really drawn to the wood hoops back then.

mattgallettidrums

I heard Matt Chamberlain play an Ayotte kit right out of the box at a workshop at North Texas way back in 2000. I remember how amazing they sounded, although, it was Matt! I almost got that Ayotte kit a few years earlier, with wood hoops, but opted for a DW Short Stack kit. Fun little kit, but wish I would have gotten that Ayotte. My dealer was trying to sway me!

But, I would love to play one of the Blamier fiberglass concert tom kits! I got my Sugar Percussion kit, so I am totally playing my dream kit now, but would love a run at one of those massive number of tom kits.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've never played any Gretsch or Tama kit so I'd like to try any of their fare. A friend of mine sold his business and took up drums then bought a bunch if high end snares and Drum kits and started a band. I was overwhelmed by his selection of everything but of all his snares (which was a wall rack full) the SONOR 13x7 Atrisan Amboina snare and his beech SQ2 , and then his huge Brady kit get just knocked my socks off. Now the SONOR more focused and a delight to play and the Brady was a more open sounding stage presence ( course heads and tunings differed too) behemoth. I think he had a Gretsch in corner but never played it. He had 3-4 set up which the two are only ones I remember because they both blew me away. Like a pig in slop.

Juniper

Gold Member
Has to be a 1930’s/40’s Slingerland Radio King, 24”, 13” & 16”

Man, I’d love that.

MrTheOne

that's good to hear. had any used ones been for sale that I liked when I was looking for a kit I probably would have bought one. maybe someday...

forgot about them! when I was in high school I really wanted an Ayotte kit. not sure I'd really want one anymore, but I was really drawn to the wood hoops back then.
I started to like Atotte when Matt Cameron switched to them from DW. They sounded great and to my eye was sort of a game-changer estheticsally. Didn’t look old school or vintage but didn’t look modern either, just kind of a new direction all around.
But yeah, if I didn’t have a C&C I’d probably have gone Ayotte. Bonus for me, C&C does wood hoops! 🤣🤘

Yamaha Rider

I've dreamed of playing this, my 1st ever kit, (I do have an E'kit tho) since I bought it in March - just before lockdown.
Wasn't allowed to visit the lockup where I keep it, now can't play it till rehearsals are allowed again. (Don't have a space of my own)
NEVER played it. Not once.
Apologies if you've heard this whining tale before - makes me feel better to talk about it.
Or do I mean 'worse'?

Screenshot_20200606-234412-min.png

Last edited:

RayI

I've dreamed of playing this, my 1st ever kit, (I do have an E'kit tho) since I bought it in March - just before lockdown.
Wasn't allowed to visit the lockup where I keep it, now can't play it till rehearsals are allowed again. (Don't have a space of my own)
NEVER played it. Not once.
Apologies if you've heard this whining tale before - makes me feel better to talk about it.
Or do I mean 'worse'?

View attachment 93175
No apologies needed , I'm sure there's other's on here in the same position, hope you get to play soon

OutlawX

Is there a drum set brand /model that you have never tried but you would love too ?

I would love to try a Sonor SQ2 Heavy Beech shell kit - I have a Sonor Vintage series kit with medium beech shells and roundover edges . I imagine the Heavy Beech SQ2 must sound monstrous.

Honorable Mention would be a Tama Star Bubinga Kit . I have been interested in this brand/model since watching the Peter Erksine YouTube videos of him playing his Yellow Star Bubinga Kit . What a fantastic sounding kit !!
OMG AWESOME POST. Yes Mine 2 SONOR SQ2 CORVETTE BLACK PAINT. OR, MERCEDES, AMG .BLACK PAINT ALL SQUARE RACK TOM SIZES GOLD HARDWARE. THE SECOND I HIT THE LOTTERY 😅😂.