Drum set weights

Hello, I am kind of new here so I am not quite sure where to insert this question so here I go. I am about to buy a new drum kit and am deciding between the Yamaha tour custom or the Absolute Hybrid Maple. I know the AHM is the better set but I am wondering if it is way heavy compared to the tour custom or other sets or if I should even worry about weight as a factor. I really would rather own the AHM. Any input is appreciated.

Unless you have back problems or already have a heavy kit sitting at home and want a light kit for gigs...I'd get the kit you want. Weight be damned.

I have a Gretsch Renown and it is definitely not light. The heavy weight is a sacrifice I'm willing to make for a great sound at the gig.

Stage and Tours are very light compared to many kits.
The AHM has slightly thicker shells and more lugs, but has aluminium rims, so its a little heavier, but still lighter than similar kits from other brands.

Thank you all for your input. Does anyone familiar with the AHM have a favorite color? I like the classic walnut but worried it might look like a black kit since it is so dark. I also like the pink sparkle but not sure about a "pink kit" LOL.

Thank you all for your input. Does anyone familiar with the AHM have a favorite color? I like the classic walnut but worried it might look like a black kit since it is so dark. I also like the pink sparkle but not sure about a "pink kit" LOL.
Don't get pink unless you totally love it and never plan to sell it. The more "out there" finishes tend to have a lower resale value. EDIT: Just looked at the Pink Champagne Sparkle...not as bad as I thought, lol. But still not quite as easy to resell.

The Walnut looks classy. It's definitely a low-key finish that has similar qualities to Black.....mainly that it goes with everything. It won't stand out on stage which can be good or bad depending on your preferences.

The Red Autumn color looks great. A real head-turning finish...while somehow not being too flashy. If that same exact finish were on a DW kit, it would be too flashy for my taste.

My personal favorite is probably the Vintage Natural. Classy and timeless, like it's been aged. It's probably my favorite "Natural" finish on any kit of any brand.

Last edited:
The AHM is relatively light. I have the Polar White, and it looks fantastic in person and under lights. It has a slight sparkle and is more of a creamy off-white. I would also be happy with the Red Autumn.

Will you be gigging with them? T
You can’t go wrong with a classic, dark color...unless you specifically want to stand out on stage.

Don't get pink unless you totally love it and never plan to sell it. The more "out there" finishes tend to have a lower resale value. EDIT: Just looked at the Pink Champagne Sparkle...not as bad as I thought, lol. But still not quite as easy to resell.

The Walnut looks classy. It's definitely a low-key finish that has similar qualities to Black.....mainly that it goes with everything. It won't stand out on stage which can be good or bad depending on your preferences.

The Red Autumn color looks great. A real head-turning finish...while somehow not being too flashy. If that same exact finish were on a DW kit, it would be too flashy for my taste.

My personal favorite is probably the Vintage Natural. Classy and timeless, like it's been aged. It's probably my favorite "Natural" finish on any kit of any brand.
I am curious, why would the autumn red look too flashy on a DW but not on the AHM? Thanks

Cymbals, stands and throne are the heavy parts. Drums themselves are often not that heavy. It doesn't matter much if you are not gigging.

Cymbals, stands and throne are the heavy parts. Drums themselves are often not that heavy. It doesn't matter much if you are not gigging.
Mostly, however since I’ve changed to lighter hardware in a wheeled case, I find a traditional bass drum the heaviest, most awkward thing to carry. But when I use my lighter drums I can enter a venue in one trip because I can sling all the drums on one arm/shoulder, cymbals on my back and hardware trolley in the other hand. Even up a few stairs.
But I am getting older, so these things are becoming more important to me...

Ludwig's old champagne sparkle is one of most highly sought after wraps on vintage drums.

Give us more back story to help you. Why are you concerned with the weight? What is your drumming history?

Give us more back story to help you. Why are you concerned with the weight? What is your drumming history?
Well I just got back into playing after a long hiatus. I have started practicing with a few bands around town. I had read an article about how heavy some drum kits are and just thought I might pose the question. I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing an Absolute hybrid maple in classic walnut. Thank you everyone for the responses

Back