Drum Set Configuration and Finishes

Is it me, or do some drum set configurations look better with certain finishes while not so much with others? I never liked big set ups with WMP, but love it with a four piece kit. What are your favorite configuration/finish combinations? Any "fashion violations" that stand out?

I share this sentiment. My set, a four piece, is in nicotine white marine pearl. That finish looks great on a compact configuration but would seem out of place on a double-bass rig with twelve toms. Plain white or plain black works on any setup. Other colors are less adaptable.

I do feel like big kits in any of the " ____ Marine Pearl" finishes look odd...and rarely ever see that finish on anything other than a 4 piece kit.

that is really it for me...though i tend to also not like plain black or white kits in any config. There has to be some visual interest for me...

Any "fashion violations" that stand out?
Some Tama’s “oyster” finishes need time to settle on one’s mind.

pen_WBS42S_LSO.png

ludwigs look kind of “off” if they’re more than 4pcs. maybe it’s the vintage look or a certain vibe it has, but a 5 piece ludwig classic maple just looks strange to me.

ludwigs look kind of “off” if they’re more than 4pcs. maybe it’s the vintage look or a certain vibe it has, but a 5 piece ludwig classic maple just looks strange to me.
12 year old me, who stared at photos like this in Ludwig catalogs for hours on end, cannot agree.

bpmh7qecuyr41.jpg

Although I think at the time I went more for this:

3afe4a6f1ad0a045172aceb4a825aa42.jpg

or this:

85d14bbd2e2e0f0c922d6e81b43f8965.jpg

So, of course, these days, I gravitate towards natural finishes.

Back