DRUM RELATED YOUTUBE SHORT IDEAS

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
says the guy sitting on his computer 😂🤦‍♂
thanks for the input
Aren't we all "sitting on our computer"? Seems you answered your own sarcastic response. Then the forehead slap & (for some reason) a gender symbol. Not sure what you're trying to say there.
As many have said, the age demographic on here is a bit older than the usual Tik Tok/Insta crowd. Then to shoot back with weird emoji's & laughter won't help the cause.

As for the question: Simplicity. Nothing beyond kick/snare/hat or pad work. Make it too complex & people will swipe off of it. Welcome to the division of young vs. older.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
The world needs a good DIY pedal disassembly/reassembly video. Seems like that gets asked about once a month.

Otto

Platinum Member
I tend to run from that manipulative feeling that someone wants my clicks/doesn't have a passion to really say something.

needless to say, youtube becomes difficult to peruse with any depth.

I suggest tapping into your passion and let the audience come to you...an approach that isn't economically optimized but has a larger envelope of potential return.

the current model of click baiting benefits youtube share holders not creators...hence the vast majority of creators burn out and disappear leaving all the audience built from outside youtube to continue clicking ads/pooling resources for youtube....its like the music industries most popular "cycle 'em through" model. Don't let them be around too long...it cuts into profits when the creator starts to realize the hourly wage they are pulling for the revenue created.

Better yet, host your own server and content...advertise on youtube to get people to fund you via your own ad model. kind of like the way the band Train owns themselves and their revenue streams.

Last edited:

Jameson D

Aren't we all "sitting on our computer"? Seems you answered your own sarcastic response. Then the forehead slap & (for some reason) a gender symbol. Not sure what you're trying to say there.
As many have said, the age demographic on here is a bit older than the usual Tik Tok/Insta crowd. Then to shoot back with weird emoji's & laughter won't help the cause.

As for the question: Simplicity. Nothing beyond kick/snare/hat or pad work. Make it too complex & people will swipe off of it. Welcome to the division of young vs. older.
yeah.... it wasn't the best delivery to say the least lol... and the gender symbol was a typo. haha!

Last edited:

calan

Silver Member
You probably wont get any positive answers here. This is not your target demographic age wise.
This is pretty much true, but it also highlights that there is a dearth of related content on a streaming medium geared to that
demographic, and maybe there is an opportunity there.

I'm not opposed to short videos provided they contain useful content. I'll take that over someone packing 2 minutes of content into a 20 minute video by rambling on and on about their sponsor or begging me to like and subscribe.
This is probably my number one turn off for most YT content, and I’d guess it’s a prevailing sentiment across the active users here. It’s usually easy to identify simply be comparing the title to the video length.
well, i would love to create vids just for fun. the problem is i'm an extremely busy junior in high school. if people are actually learning from my videos and enjoying them, i'll create more. it's that simple
I’ve been chewing up my thoughts on ways to word this more delicately, and have found nothing. You’re in high school. Nobody is going to be learning from your videos. You don’t know enough to teach. What you can teach has already been done by hundreds of other drummers. Unless you can find a way to repackage the same information in a more concise way, focus on the enjoyment. Of course, you could be a prodigy and make me a fool out of me.

Focus on the entertainment. There are more avenues to be entertaining than there are to be informative. Embrace your age and demographic. Make the YT equivalent of drummer memes and shitposts.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I would watch videos of players explaining why they wrote or played the part they did.. I like to hear how and why people construct songs, being a writer my self.

Why did you choose the ride instead of the hi hat for that chorus?
Why the blast beat instead of the d-beat?
did you intend to follow the rhythm in the guitar at the end of their solo, or was that an accident?
I love how you off set the cadence off the vocals in the end of the 2nd verse, but left them alone in the 1st... what was behind that choice?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
You’re off to a good start with the all-caps thread title. Throw something in along the lines of “THIS IS WHY YOU SUCK” or “THE ONLY something something something YOU NEED TO LEARN TO GET GIGS IN THIS CITY” or “YOU’RE AN ABSOLUTE WALNUT IF YOU DON’T LEARN THIS LICK”.

Soooo looking forward to it.
/s

Jameson D

This is pretty much true, but it also highlights that there is a dearth of related content on a streaming medium geared to that
demographic, and maybe there is an opportunity there.

This is probably my number one turn off for most YT content, and I’d guess it’s a prevailing sentiment across the active users here. It’s usually easy to identify simply be comparing the title to the video length.

I’ve been chewing up my thoughts on ways to word this more delicately, and have found nothing. You’re in high school. Nobody is going to be learning from your videos. You don’t know enough to teach. What you can teach has already been done by hundreds of other drummers. Unless you can find a way to repackage the same information in a more concise way, focus on the enjoyment. Of course, you could be a prodigy and make me a fool out of me.

Focus on the entertainment. There are more avenues to be entertaining than there are to be informative. Embrace your age and demographic. Make the YT equivalent of drummer memes and shitposts.
Oh yeah, i totally agree with you!

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
I agree with others that Youtube videos are best made out of passion or an interest, not for clicks or future income.
Most of the established YouTubers I follow are making around 30 minute video content.
I see it's advised new YouTubers aim at around 8 minutes, because Youtube will place ads in videos 8 minutes or longer.
Most of my videos are 3 minutes or less because that's all I want to say.
Youtube viewing is free (the way I use it), so I have to put up with common tactics like making a video about a simple topic and filling the first 5 minutes with waffle about subscribing, checking out the merchandise, upcoming content etc.. people do it to keep you hanging, which is essentially what Youtube wants. The more time people spend watching your videos, the more opportunities Youtube gets to bombard them with ads. I have stopped watching videos by YouTubers who stretch a simple subject out to 30 minutes, which would only take 5 minutes to cover.

KenDoken

How about drummers obituary. To celebrate noted drummers when they pass. There be a pithy name for that channel...

Al Strange

Platinum Member
Do something that’s unique to you, and sets you apart. No point copying what’s already out there…there’s enough of that already, and you’re competing with some excellent videos by world reknowned players/educators these days. Good luck and keep smashing it!(y)

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I like "How improving your load in skills will lead to faster single strokes". Makes for an interesting clickbait title.
🤔

"How to Smash Hard and Not Wake the Baby"

"Learn Snare Drumming in Five Minutes!"

"This fill will Make You Money!"

Jameson D

wow guys 🤦‍♂️